loose bearing on shaft will it be ok ? on a plate compactor
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

loose bearing on shaft will it be ok ? on a plate compactor

I have this plate compactor if i had to do it again i would save up 5 grand and buy a really nice two direction one that weights much more but for now im stuck with what i got

Long story short i just got to the rain season and i need this driveway done before it gets any messier so with the help of this board i got the bearing coming i took the old bearing off.

it looks as the old bearing were failing all the metal parts were jamming them up on the shaft causing the shaft to get worn a little and the inside race of the bearing to blue a little its a light press fit to get them back on very light

cant weld the shaft and turn it down

locktite bearing on shaft ?
    devcon ti bearing on shaft ?

just install it with grease and hope it will run for the next week 30-40 hours being power by 6.5 HP ENGINE spinning little weights to make it vibrate. this is the shaft that the weights mount on both sides. it mounts in a big metal box so if it fails parts wont go anywhere . moly grease for this ??

Re: loose bearing on shaft will it be ok ? on a plate compactor

Locktite makes a product that is made for just this situation. I believe it is locktite 660 . Regular locktite needs to displace the oxygen around the shaft to harden and if the shaft is not tight to the bearing it will not lock on. I have used the 660 several times and it seems to work well.

The 660 works on loose fits up to .002 " if the bearings are looser than that you need to use something else.
    Last edited by thegary; 11-02-2018 at 10:47 PM.

Ok thanks I just order some 660 locktite hope it helps and hold to gether for a little while need 30-40 hrs hope for much more

This may be stupid but is it just easier to run it for the 30 hours and then just fix it the right way? Yes it will occur more damage but if it doesn't do more damage then what has to be fixed anyways, makes more sense. But I don't know how bad the bearing is to start with

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

I would have but the bearing. Was pretty bad and moving enough to make the v belt to slip and smoke.

I have a whole new Vibrating assembly coming but it’s a month out . Figure if I can limp it though with the semi fixed one. Then put the new one in later

Is there some reason you can't take the shaft out and have a local machine shop turn a new one?

Yea most cost and time. I move out to middle of nowhere Oregon I keep update dating the profile here but still shows center nj

There only one shop here that is very backed up ran by a cranky Guy that is only open some times and you get what you get

It will last a long time with that 660 to lock the inner race. No problem.

you can give it a half *** knurl job by using a center/prick punch on it , to give it some raise, then apply ur locktite

You could use a collier cam lock bearing...

Be aware that 660 takes 24 hrs to cure and longer if it is in the cold. Best to use it at room temp.

Ok thanks I didn’t know that but I guess I’ll be bringing it into to house to annoy the wife

Loctite makes several different products for different severity of misfit. Many times a good center punch to dimple around the shaft will snug up a loose fit. If further proper repair is planned a couple tack welds to hold the bearing to the shaft works too
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's
    If it dont fit get a bigger hammer

This is NOT something that I'd normally advise, but given that you have a new eccentric assembly on the way anyway .... if it was mine I might think about centre punching the shaft all the way around to make it a bit bigger OD (similar to knurling), enough to make it a more tight fit, press on the new bearing, then .... (here's the part I wouldn't normally do) ... tack a couple of small welds (TIG or MIG) in three or four SMALL spots equally around the race/shaft .... just enough spot welds to keep the bearing from spinning. Try not to get the bearing race too hot.

As I said ... not a normal approach and don't get it too hot.

How about using this to fill the damage, run the shaft and place a file on it to take off the extra material.

https://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Steel...ic+steel+putty

Devcon is good stuff too but in this case not needed. I would wager a guess that if put together with the 660 and allowed to cure correctly it will run for a very long time. I personally would not have ordered a new assembly. Just my 2 cents. I have done the center punch fix several times also but in this case again not needed. The fit is not that loose to have concern as long as it is not allowed to spin on the fit. The 660 with prevent it from spinning.

Quote Originally Posted by thegary View Post
    Devcon is good stuff too but in this case not needed. I would wager a guess that if put together with the 660 and allowed to cure correctly it will run for a very long time. I personally would not have ordered a new assembly. Just my 2 cents. I have done the center punch fix several times also but in this case again not needed. The fit is not that loose to have concern as long as it is not allowed to spin on the fit. The 660 with prevent it from spinning.
    I like the 660 idea too, myself I would do both, leaving the putty 2 thou high and let the bearing shave off the excess putty for an interfernce type fit up.

It would be nice to see a pic of the shaft to get a better idea of how much damage or lack of has been done to the shaft.

I cleaned up the shaft with 400 grit sand paper to take any burrs off of it. Other then been a little looser of a fit it doesn’t look bad now.

If the bearing. Don’t come apart again and pieces jamming them up there is not much of a twisting load on them.

With all the Vibration I was worried about the. Bear working them self loose. But with the 660 I think it will be goo.

All part are cleaned and waiting 660 and new bearing get here today. I will up date how it holds up after some hard using. Not sure if I want to fill it with grease or a thick oil when I put it back together. Might just pack it with green grease and call it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by thegary View Post
    Locktite makes a product that is made for just this situation. I believe it is locktite 660 . Regular locktite needs to displace the oxygen around the shaft to harden and if the shaft is not tight to the bearing it will not lock on. I have used the 660 several times and it seems to work well.

The 660 works on loose fits up to .002 " if the bearings are looser than that you need to use something else.
    So this 660 wont work if your gap is bigger than .002 ? Can you just keep adding more?

How hard are they to get off after you've used 660? Is it basically going to be epoxied to the shaft?
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Quote Originally Posted by kbeitz View Post
    So this 660 wont work if your gap is bigger than .002 ? Can you just keep adding more?
    My mistake , It should have been .020". I do not know that I would use it on a shaft that loose but thats what loctite states in their literature. I have used it on stuff .005 " or so loose though.

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    How hard are they to get off after you've used 660? Is it basically going to be epoxied to the shaft?

loctite specs an iso number for grip but I am not familiar with the specs. it also says to heat to 250 degrees for disassembly . I used 660 on a worn output shaft of an hydraulic pump run by a 5hp motor 3 years ago. The shaft was worn from misalignment . The pump was not worth a shaft replacement. It is still in use today and going strong. I told the outfit that they should replace the pump in a reasonable amount of time but it would work for a while. They have never replaced it. I was over there last week and happened to look at the pump to see if they ever replaced it.
    Last edited by thegary; 11-08-2018 at 11:43 AM.