7018 vertical up help
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

7018 vertical up help

I am padding beads on plate trying to teach myself vertical up. I am running 3/32 Lincoln Excalibur 7018s, about 85 amps, 30% arc force, holding the rod pretty much straight in at 90 degrees as best I can. 3/8ths inch plate, cleaned to a bright shiny surface with a 40 grit flap wheel. I am dunking the coupon in a quench bucket every 2nd or 3rd bead to keep it cool. The first few beads on each plate were done in the flat position then I turned it up to vertical. I am basically doing stringers but am using either a slight z pattern or small circles, to try and get a good pace of progression and spread the bead out a bit. My biggest issue is I am getting undercut at times, mostly on the right side of the bead. any pointers or suggestions welcome.

Name:  IMG_20181104_200148835.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  267.3 KB

Name:  IMG_20181104_200130011.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  219.4 KB
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Re: 7018 vertical up help

Looks pretty good to me, uphill stringers on a flat plate are a b!tch. Maybe drop the amps a bit and use the gaps between the beads like a beveled joint. I think on uphill 4-6" pipe joints I was at 80 amps and zero arc force with my Trailblazer 325 using 3/32" Excalibur. I have used quite a bit of the Hobart 7018, and it's a little less runny. JMO.
    Last edited by 12V71; 11-04-2018 at 09:26 PM.

Too much time in the middle,. Left jab, right jab and 90* direct angle in dont get it, Its STILL a drag(~ish---uphill) technique. Drag that rod angle a R.H.C. up......Drop a few amps if it gets too saggy in the second and a half sides. Speed up the left to right. The center will auto fill from downhill"drip" That's where you set the amps,,,,for the drip fill center

I'm with bonzo, spend a little more time on the edges and less in center. Amps are pretty close, maybe a little cold, but probably be spot on once it heats a little.
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

this might just be me, I personally don't like the lincoln excalibur rods at all, I much prefer the lincoln conarc 49c rods.

I like to run a slightly longer arc length then most would consider normal for vertical stringers with slightly higher amps, you're already running a bit hotter then most I think at 85 on such thin plate, and I do a very quick side to side motion, i call it my wiggle, for me this works quite well for vertical stringers.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ttoks; 11-05-2018 at 12:58 AM.

amps can also vary a lot when fillet welding that is a inside corner compared to a outside corner.
    if you got 3/8 plate in a 90 degree angle. welding on the outside of the corner will use considerable less amps than welding from the inside of the corner. not sure how much vertical up on a straight joint pieces. if you weld I beams together its normally beveled joint. different weld joint types often welded different ways and amp settings

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    Too much time in the middle,. Left jab, right jab and 90* direct angle in dont get it, Its STILL a drag(~ish---uphill) technique. Drag that rod angle a R.H.C. up......Drop a few amps if it gets too saggy in the second and a half sides. Speed up the left to right. The center will auto fill from downhill"drip" That's where you set the amps,,,,for the drip fill center
    Absolutely, totally and completely correct reply.

OK, I think I am getting the left jab/right jab thing. I made a point of counting while holding the toes. I also made a point of moving slower and allowing the undercut to fill in. It made sense as I was doing it. The results aren't great. I think my shop was too dark tonight. Last time I did this I had sunlight coming in the bay doors. Tonight it was pitch black out. I had a terrible time keeping my beads straight. The first half dozen beads or so are flat on the bench, trying to get a little warm up and a straight line to follow while vertical. at first I was at 85 amps, but then I went up to 90 and it seemed to work out better. I also threw a couple of 1/8 inch 7018s in at 115 amps. That was rough, but at least the bead didn't fall out on me

Anyway, maybe I am delusional, but I think I see a little improvement, despite the completely wavy beads. There was much less undercut, usually when I would go too fast. But I was also going way too slow at times, and couldn't get across a 6 inch plate with one rod a couple of times.

I am thinking I will move on to vertical tees next. I feel like I have had enough of padding beads now.

Name:  IMG_20181107_212450620.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  310.7 KB
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

louie , u can take that pic to a hippie ny cycidalic art show for pics, and probabaly win a prize. practice some 90 degree fillets or groove welds. odds are u'll wont be doing much welds on flat plate in reality (thats why ur gettin too much fill in middle/throat), otherwise i think ur close to getting this down patt

Enough of the pads..get to some joints and I see wrist movement in your beads. The left to right( or vice versa) is a body position change, not simply 'twisting the grip" like a motorcycle throttle.Keep that rod angle dead nutz and sway your body to move side to side.
    See this helmet. Thats where the electrode holder lays flat in 7018 uphill. You''re looking down and dragging it up( very little)

Again, what bonzo said: forget what your doing and do ACTUAL joints. Butts, fillets etc. You are wasting your time because there is no reference, wandering around gets you nowhere. These are not real-world welds.