220v wiring adaptor
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

220v wiring adaptor

Is there any issue with making an adaptor to use a NEMA 6-30 plug to a NEMA 6-50 receptacle? I have the receptacle for use with a shop heater, on a 30 amp breaker. The welder I am getting has a maximum inrush of 31 amps, is this enough to trip the breaker, and does that inrush always draw the maximum? Thanks!

Re: 220v wiring adaptor

If it has a max surge of 31 amps, then it will only surge 31 when maxed out or close to it. I'm sure the 30 AMI will hold up but your breaker won't like it if you may it out a lot over time.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 19sixty5 View Post
    Is there any issue with making an adaptor to use a NEMA 6-30 plug to a NEMA 6-50 receptacle? I have the receptacle for use with a shop heater, on a 30 amp breaker. The welder I am getting has a maximum inrush of 31 amps, is this enough to trip the breaker, and does that inrush always draw the maximum? Thanks!
    It will be fine and if you really needed all the top end and 30 was to trip it would be safe to bump it to a 35 or 40 for use with a welder. The duty cycle of the machine allows you to do this safely.

You would have to draw 31 amps for an hour or more to trip most 30 amp breakers.
    Don't worry about it.
    My plasma cutter hits 31 amps at full power and has never tripped a 30 amp breaker.
    old Miller spectrum 625
    Lincoln SP-135 T, CO2+0.025 wire
    Miller model 250 and WP-18V torch
    Craftsman 100amp AC/DC and WP-17V torch
    Century 115-004 HF arc stabilizer
    Home made 4 transformer spot welder
    Home made alternator welder

Thanks guys... Everlast also told me "limit the use on a 20a breaker to 70a of weld power
    220vac the 2pole 30 should be fine as long as you keep the machine under 180a" so no
    worries for now. I just don't want to spend $$ where I don't have to. When I build the new
    garage addition I will have new service run to it, so power will not be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    It will be fine and if you really needed all the top end and 30 was to trip it would be safe to bump it to a 35 or 40 for use with a welder. The duty cycle of the machine allows you to do this safely.
    Would be a violation though if the wiring is #10 cu as per the OP this is not a dedicated welder circuit.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

True. You wouldn't want to use the heater with it over protected even though we know the conductors are the same that have been running the heater so even though it would be a violation it really would not be unsafe as a heater can't increase it's load if it fails the current drops. If it went dead short a #10 will trip a 200 amp breaker.

It wouldn't if it was for the welder but since a heater is possibly still being used in same outlet so that would change things if it was multipurpose then it isn't a welder outlet.
    Last edited by danielplace; 11-06-2018 at 09:38 AM.

Parallel the feed to a 30 and a 40 and use 30 for heater and 40 for welder. Stack the breakers one above the other and install mechanical lockout so only one will turn on at a time.

I am just kidding. Pretty sure he will be fine on the 30 it has.

More than likely I will be using this in the 120 VAC mode for a while. The TIG process is new to me, so there will be lot's and lot's of practice. Hopefully by the time I even think of using it on 220 I will have my addition built and properly wired. This is more a "what if"kind of question. I live in northern Alabama, my garage is well insulated, and I have a propane heater on the wall. I typically use the electric just to get it warmer sooner, and then it is unplugged.

You should be able to do all the practice you need for steel on 100 amps or less.
    I almost always use a 120v tig.
    Only use the 240v for aluminum or I beams.
    old Miller spectrum 625
    Lincoln SP-135 T, CO2+0.025 wire
    Miller model 250 and WP-18V torch
    Craftsman 100amp AC/DC and WP-17V torch
    Century 115-004 HF arc stabilizer
    Home made 4 transformer spot welder
    Home made alternator welder