Dies for bending - material choice
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Dies for bending - material choice

Planning to make (on lathe) square tube dies to be used on a pipe bender. It is for bending 1.25 square tube with 1/8 wall.

Would it be OK to machine the dies from delrin or aluminum? My thought is that these dies are about 3 inch in diameter, solid and supported by a strong rod going through them.

Thank you,
    Mike

Re: Dies for bending - material choice

Aluminum tends to grab the pipe or tube. Delrin may deform. Steel would be best.
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

turning plastic in a lathe can be a challenge you may find the part suddenly in another part of the room. Plastics like to grab cutting tools derlin is pretty soft you may want to look at UHMW plastics.
    DIY CNC Plasma table & CandCNC DTHC-IV MP 3100 Feather Touch option
    Hypertherm 65
    Everlast PT 256 EX Tig
    Miler 180 Mig
    13" metal lathe
    Mill/ Drill
    ECT, ECT,

Are you bumping or bending? If bending then, I would go with a steel. Square tube will get stuck in steel dies. Imagine the abuse aluminum or delrin will take.

Square tube dies function differently than round dies.

I would suspect with some special aluminum or heat treating then aluminum would harden and crack.

Without much research, I would not waste my time with either of those materials.

Your tube section is no weakling either.

I have made dies from delrin. For round steel tube and aluminum trim. Never had issue turning it. Long shavings..

Good luck.

uhmw is terrible for rolling or bending dies. at least in my experience.

steel in the only way to go. i have yet to turn a steel die but if i where to i would go with a hardened and tempered steel.
    General Contractor
    Commercial Industrial & Custom Residential
    Specializing in all things Metal

D2 Call a local tool and die shop. They'll 'splain a few things to you.Square tube us a whole 'nother critter

Seems like a fairly tight radius 1.25" tube. Pushing the limits anyway.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

HF has round dies on the shelf for their 'roller' for like $20. Sounds close to what you are looking for on your machine.

Because I have the HF roller I get their $20 dies and cut what sizes I need out of them.

I cut these for 1x3/4" bar. If I were to roll or bend tube I would just cut the grooves deeper to support the sides of the tube.

12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

Unless you're going to bend thousands of them, heat treated 4140 is more than adequate. D2 would be a waste of money, and loves to eat tooling when machining.

What kind of bender?
    I agree, that radius is a wee bit tight. Usually a 6" ish radius is about all you will get before deformation wrecks it. Two options available for that radius, buy pre bent 90s and weld them in, or cut the sides on a cnc plasma, then form/weld the inners and outers.

I agree with Walker type of bender makes a difference. The final radius dose as well too tight and nothing you can do outside of production machines (hydroforming)
    Welders: IdealArc AC/DC 250
    Lincoln AC 225 converted to AC/DC
    O/A torches
    Lots of Hammers Clamps and Grinders