Looking For Advice - Page 3
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Looking For Advice

Yes that is a torch holder to help guide straight cuts. Looks like the three holes for the torch are for cutting and beveling angles. Middle hole for 90 degree cuts and other two ofset holes are for specific angles Which I can only guess at because I did not make that. Stole the picture from Pinterest while looking up Pipeline Pierce. Bevels are used for joining plates together. If you are really good and have a steady hand you might be able to attach a straight edge around the out side of either pipe or tube to make beveled cuts for joining pipe or tubes together. If I was to try it I would keep the torch in the cutter holder guide thingimobob and roll the pipe in one hand while holding the torch steady in the other. This method would only be goodup to a specific size. Naturally once the pipe gets to big rolling it by one hand is out of the equation.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 11-10-2018 at 02:11 PM.
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Thermal Dynamics 60i
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A

Quote Originally Posted by Daryllonewolf18 View Post
    Is that what i think it is. A roller for the Oxy-fuel torch. Ya know looking at this. i think i have everything needed to build that. I just have one question what are the 3 bolts on the side for.
    The three bolts look like set screws to hold the cutting tip in place once inserted. Neat little tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ccogg View Post
    The three bolts look like set screws to hold the cutting tip in place once inserted. Neat little tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This ^. I mistaken thought you were asking holes when I read bolts for some reason.
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Thermal Dynamics 60i
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A

Here are some tricks for testing if your squares are true and square.

ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Thermal Dynamics 60i
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A

Quote Originally Posted by Daryllonewolf18 View Post
    There is always something to learn. always another angle to look at the situation as. I started out as an engineer before i moved into welding. That helped me when it came to finding a way around a problem. It may have not been conventional but i learned another way to get it done. I want to learn everything i can. To absorb as much knowledge as i can. To be able to apply the knowledge that i have gained. I will never claim to know something that i dont. But ill always pipe up and ask to learn. Recently i learned the walk the cup method with tig welding. Im still struggling with it but im slowly improving. Ill never say that this career will be easy. But i dont want easy. Thats what i enjoy doing finding a way around the problem at hand.
    Daryll...I believe with your attitude and outlook on life you are gonna go a long long way in this racket. Just listening to and watching the old timers you will learn a lot, most of em wont explain stuff while they are doing it unless you ask Better to just watch sometimes. One of the best welders Ive ever worked with in the mines taught me more just watching him than talking. Not so much the welding just the way he went about his day, the way he strung out his weld lead, and wrapped up at the end of the day, how he dealt with the mud we get in a pit, what he would do in the rain... little things like that go a long way to make the day better. Sadly he got killed when a bucket rolled over on top of him, 8 days before he was to retire and move to Florida, I miss that old fella a lot, and wish I could pick his brain some more, to this day I ask myself at least twice a week what would Owen do. The good thing is I am passing that knowledge on to a couple young fellas I work with occasionally.

Best wishes my friend and God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by WenValley View Post
    Blocked Virgil a month ago, nice not to read his ignorance.
    Prolly best to add me to your blocked list as well. i'mza ignint S.O.B. too

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    Prolly best to add me to your blocked list as well. i'mza ignint S.O.B. too
    You gonna post about how his ceiling fan self destructed when the bra got hooked on the blade?

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    I hope it doesn't make me a pu$$*, but I believe people skills should extend to the ability to form a sentence without using the F bomb. I myself use it sparingly as an expletive. I do not use it as filler. I talk about California, not Califu**in'fornia.

Each F bomb in a minute long conversation lowers the perceived IQ by five points. This means some people are perceived to have an IQ less than zero.
    I'm with you - it's easy not to swear...except maybe when I get shocked by 120v...again...

Got hit with 240v in the shoulder once through a sweaty t-shirt - pretty sure a few came out - ha!
    Plumber left the cover off the pressure switch in mobile home closet where I was lighting the water heater pilot.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

I don't know fellows; Inevitably someone in discussions of this nature will assert people who swear have limited vocabularies and then become enraged to learn scientific tests as recent as 2015 have disproven that old wives tale.
    The biggest problem with the Fbomb is overuse. Even worse, use by 3 year olds in public spaces who use it correctly. You just know that kid isn't headed for a Rhodes Scholarship 15 years out.

Vocabulary is power, at least when the words used are proper to the purpose. Where I live the dreaded F--- can be conjugated to deploy as all principle parts of speech, often by teen girls. When used properly in the sentence it's one thing, but misused or misplaced it looses power precipitously. It's not just something to casually throw and hope it lands well.
    From my observation less than a quarter of American woman can properly swear. They seem to trip over their tongues possibly due to innate femininity or possibly due to lack of exposure. A woman who knows when and how to fling Go f--- yourself at the appropriate point in a conversation will often gain points.

And there is Mark Twain's viewpoint, the French are weak because there are no good swear words in the French language. Then again, Twain also clearly stated France was not a nation, rather a collection of rabble who both fight and run from battle for want of inspirational vocabulary. Canada's French are even more bereft of vocabulary, purloining the F*(% from the English along with other valuable swear words.
    I could provide a list but Dave would merde.
    je m'en fou just doesn't convey the same impact I don't give a ____ does in English and substitutes a lesser french word for the impact word.

It's a tough task to truly and properly insult a frog in words he understands..

Your opinion may vary, That is your Constitutional right.

Not saying you can never use it. I certainly use it. Using it 30 times a minute is a bit offputing. Lunch conversation where it is used 328 times in a 1/2 hour lunch proclaims to the world: "I'm stupid!"
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

The only place you're gonna learn how to pipeline is on a pipeline. Unless you can get in Local 798, the union pipeline local. Other than that, you need to google up some pipeline companies in your area and go apply as a helper. Better work on growing a thick skin, those guys are pretty raw.

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTIG View Post
    Better work on growing a thick skin, those guys are pretty raw.
    This ^
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Thermal Dynamics 60i
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A

You may consider Chicago Local 597 union. They have a hybrid program and apprenticeship.

https://www.pftf597.org/applications/programs/ https://www.pftf597.org/applications/ https://www.pftf597.org/training/welding/

No matter what you do, YOU need to sell yourself today. It's competitive out there and knowing your business is important.

Look at Jacob Schofield and Austin Ross on youtube as they have done what your planning on doing as a career.