Tig weld "discolored"
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Tig weld "discolored"

Hello... I have a silly doubt, welding stainless steel pipes and using different post gas times we have some colors like blue gold purple etc that you know... I know that best weld have plate gold colors but it isn't the question...
    When I have colored weld like rainbow if I touch weld with my finger it's come to be discolored... That is normal?
    Like I said it's only a doubt...

Sorry for my bad english.

Enviado desde mi RNE-L23 mediante Tapatalk

Re: Tig weld "discolored"

Yep. Kid in a candy store eh?
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200withspoolgun,MKCobra Mig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig3ea.

Thanks I'm newbie and I didn't know if it was normally or I was doing something wrong...

I don't know what do you mean kid in a candy store?

Quote Originally Posted by ferfuentealba View Post
    Thanks I'm newbie and I didn't know if it was normally or I was doing something wrong...

I don't know what do you mean kid in a candy store?

Couldn't keep from touching?
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200withspoolgun,MKCobra Mig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig3ea.

Discolored how? If you are dipping the tungsten, it could leave an orange-ish residue on the metal. Otherwise I am not sure what that is you are getting on your fingers.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

[QUOTE=shovelon;8656829]Yep. Kid in a candy store Btw

Gold is not the best color it’s silver.silver means less heat then gold. Let’s see a pic

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    Discolored how? If you are dipping the tungsten, it could leave an orange-ish residue on the metal. Otherwise I am not sure what that is you are getting on your fingers.
    Look vídeo [QUOTE=motolife313;8657063]
    Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    Yep. Kid in a candy store Btw

Gold is not the best color it’s silver.silver means less heat then gold. Let’s see a pic
    Thanks for the info.

Nice magic trick but Ya thats Normal. I figured that’s what u were talking about. As long as u don’t touch it that’s should stay colorful for a long time.

The coloring is very thin oxide layer on the surface, the thickness of the oxide layer determines the color. From non-existent to heavy the colors vary from silver to gray with a progression through straw, gold, blue, purple as the layer gets thicker. Wiping it with your finger just removed the thinnest areas of oxidation and left the purple thicker layer mostly intact. It's normal and common for stainless welds to be polished after welding to remove the colors.