Plasma switch burn-out
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Plasma switch burn-out

Hello everyone, new to the forum and looking for some help. I have a Cut 50 plasma cutter that worked fine for almost a year then melted a terminal on the on-off switch. I got a couple of replacements and the first one only lasted about ten minute of cutting and did the same thing. One of the members on this site recommended in another thread with the same problem, to wire in a 40 amp 2 pole 240v coil DP contactor. I have one of these conatactors now but need some help on how to wire it. The switch has two wires coming in from the plug and two going out to the unit.

Thanks.

Glen

Re: Plasma switch burn-out

Take both lines from the power cord and put them to line side(top) of contactor. Install wires to machine on the load side terminals(bottom).

Now take one wire and run from one line of the lines to one side of coil. Take another wire and run from the other line to a single ole switch and then out of the switch to other end of coil.

First I would wire them straight through and just plug it in before you go through all the contactor wiring and find out it is burning up for a reason. If you have a amprobe to see what it is pulling first.

Re: Plasma switch burn-out

Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    Take both lines from the power cord and put them to line side(top) of contactor. Install wires to machine on the load side terminals(bottom).

Now take one wire and run from one line of the lines to one side of coil. Take another wire and run from the other line to a single ole switch and then out of the switch to other end of coil.

First I would wire them straight through and just plug it in before you go through all the contactor wiring and find out it is burning up for a reason. If you have a amprobe to see what it is pulling first.
    Thanks you for the reply and information, I don't have an amprobe. From what I have read it is a fairly common problem on some of these offshore plasma's because the switch is under size and not built well.

Glen