About to buy a used Bobcat 225
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

About to buy a used Bobcat 225

I am about to go look at a Bobcat 225 with 2.8 hours on it. I would like to know how to test the weld output without actually hooking up leads and welding. I have a volt meter that I will use to test the aux plugs. What needs to be coming out of the lugs?

Re: About to buy a used Bobcat 225

I would definitely test it. Welding and generator use. Electric heaters work well for a load test.

Angle grinder will test the 110v outlets. Bring some short welding cables and a couple rods and make sure it welds. The 2.8 hours on the meter seems like a bit of a red flag to me?
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720

2.8 hrs could be correct, he is in South Tx in hurricane country. These units get bought for emergency power and then are not used when the storm misses your area.
    Have a 15 yr old Trailblazer with 503 hrs.
    Last edited by guajilloweld03; 11-07-2018 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Southtexan View Post
    I am about to go look at a Bobcat 225 with 2.8 hours on it. I would like to know how to test the weld output without actually hooking up leads and welding. I have a volt meter that I will use to test the aux plugs. What needs to be coming out of the lugs?
    With the unit running at weld speed and the fine voltage set to 100, measure the DC and AC Open Circuit Voltage (OCV) across the weld output studs in the appropriate weld modes/polarity. The data tag on the face plate lists the maximum OCV for all modes that you can compare your readings to +/- 10%.

Quote Originally Posted by guajilloweld03 View Post
    2.8 hrs could be correct, he is in South Tx in hurricane country. These units get bought for emergency power and then are not used when the storm misses your area.
    What he said. I've seen 8-10 year old units with single digit hours for this very reason.

Trouble is, sellers think they should get $5 less than original price for them due to the low hours regardless of the fact they are years out of any warranty that a buyer would get with a new unit for a few $$$ more.
    Last edited by duaneb55; 11-08-2018 at 02:07 AM.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!