MC Dog Crate I Made
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Bossier Parish La.
    Posts
    5,337

    MC Dog Crate I Made

    Here is something I made so that I can take my pooches along with me on the bike when I need to take them. If I wanted to take an overnight trip somewhere on the bike, I needed to make arrangements for someone to come let them out a couple of times a day and make sure their food & water bowl stays full, or put them in a kennel. So to prevent doing that, this is what I came up with. It locks on in place of the passenger seat using the same mechanism to hold it on. It mounts securely with no signs of wanting to come off. I can carry the detached passenger seat in one of the saddle bags in case it is needed, and the dogs have a safe place to stay to stay while I am gone for a ride with someone else on board. It cost about as much to make as it would to board them over night together(once) at the dog groomer. I took them on this ride of about 2 hours, mostly at highway speeds, and they seemed to like it. It was 2 lane state highways not interstate highway speeds, so about 60 MPH max. This was a stop we made after the first hour when I let them out & gave them some water, which they didn't drink much of. They were eager and ready to go when it was time to load up again, so I think they will be good with it on a longer trip later. There is enough room inside for them to both lay down and stretch out or stand up fully with plenty of head room. If I think we might encounter rain, I have a small tarp I can wrap around it to keep them dry and still provide plenty of ventilation. I can still open the saddlebags and top trunk without a problem, too. There is a sliding door at my back that I can get them in and out, and the top is hinged also for better access when needed.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Bulldog Heaven at the end of my chain
    Posts
    3,419

    Re: MC Dog Crate I Made

    Quote Originally Posted by Bistineau View Post
    Here is something I made so that I can take my pooches along with me on the bike when I need to take them. If I wanted to take an overnight trip somewhere on the bike, I needed to make arrangements for someone to come let them out a couple of times a day and make sure their food & water bowl stays full, or put them in a kennel. So to prevent doing that, this is what I came up with. It locks on in place of the passenger seat using the same mechanism to hold it on. It mounts securely with no signs of wanting to come off. I can carry the detached passenger seat in one of the saddle bags in case it is needed, and the dogs have a safe place to stay to stay while I am gone for a ride with someone else on board. It cost about as much to make as it would to board them over night together(once) at the dog groomer. I took them on this ride of about 2 hours, mostly at highway speeds, and they seemed to like it. It was 2 lane state highways not interstate highway speeds, so about 60 MPH max. This was a stop we made after the first hour when I let them out & gave them some water, which they didn't drink much of. They were eager and ready to go when it was time to load up again, so I think they will be good with it on a longer trip later. There is enough room inside for them to both lay down and stretch out or stand up fully with plenty of head room. If I think we might encounter rain, I have a small tarp I can wrap around it to keep them dry and still provide plenty of ventilation. I can still open the saddlebags and top trunk without a problem, too. There is a sliding door at my back that I can get them in and out, and the top is hinged also for better access when needed.
    Certainly looks functional and is sure to garner you some looks when traveling. I usually choose function over form myself so it would work for me also.

    I'd wager even a poodle, (once my new granddaughter castrated it) would fit in there.

    Pretty neat the dogs seem to like it. Makes things so much easier when you don't have to fight them to travel.
    Slob

    Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

    Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Bossier Parish La.
    Posts
    5,337

    Re: MC Dog Crate I Made

    Quote Originally Posted by Slob View Post
    Pretty neat the dogs seem to like it. Makes things so much easier when you don't have to fight them to travel.
    They are always eager to "go for a ride?" when I ask them. More than willing to pile up in the truck to go somewhere, anywhere, when I ask them that. Now they have something else to look forward to, to go on a ride. The white one IS a poodle, and yes he has been de-nutted(poor fella), but he still wants to try.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Bulldog Heaven at the end of my chain
    Posts
    3,419

    Re: MC Dog Crate I Made

    Quote Originally Posted by Bistineau View Post
    They are always eager to "go for a ride?" when I ask them. More than willing to pile up in the truck to go somewhere, anywhere, when I ask them that. Now they have something else to look forward to, to go on a ride. The white one IS a poodle, and yes he has been de-nutted(poor fella), but he still wants to try.
    I had seen the small white one and thought it was a poodle, but those smaller/toy breeds are not the "Twinkie stealing" scourge of the earth the larger ones are. I've always had german shepherd dogs and when you mention "ride" that means a truck and you better be by the door first or you'll get knocked down. They love to ride. My daughter could get them on the back of four wheelers in the woods, I never could.
    Slob

    Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

    Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Wa. state
    Posts
    1,900

    Re: MC Dog Crate I Made

    Quote Originally Posted by Slob View Post
    I had seen the small white one and thought it was a poodle, but those smaller/toy breeds are not the "Twinkie stealing" scourge of the earth the larger ones are. I've always had german shepherd dogs and when you mention "ride" that means a truck and you better be by the door first or you'll get knocked down. They love to ride. My daughter could get them on the back of four wheelers in the woods, I never could.
    I used to have a little Heeler that would ride on my lap on the YZ 490. She would wait til it was started and warmed up, then I would slap my leg and she would jump on and off we went. That dog probably rode 2500 miles of trail with me.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Bulldog Heaven at the end of my chain
    Posts
    3,419

    Re: MC Dog Crate I Made

    Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    I used to have a little Heeler that would ride on my lap on the YZ 490. She would wait til it was started and warmed up, then I would slap my leg and she would jump on and off we went. That dog probably rode 2500 miles of trail with me.
    My daughter when into horses rode with a gal whom had Heelers and they rode horseback without a problem with most anybody whom would allow them there. Smallest dog I ever had myself was a Cocker Spaniel and he was skittish most times so couldn't work with him much. Found him a good country home and bid our goodbye's. Dogs used to go most places I'd go.
    Slob

    Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

    Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Wa. state
    Posts
    1,900

    Re: MC Dog Crate I Made

    Quote Originally Posted by Slob View Post
    My daughter when into horses rode with a gal whom had Heelers and they rode horseback without a problem with most anybody whom would allow them there. Smallest dog I ever had myself was a Cocker Spaniel and he was skittish most times so couldn't work with him much. Found him a good country home and bid our goodbye's. Dogs used to go most places I'd go.
    My little heeler was kind of nutzo, we went to a big basalt cliff and she started jumping down ledges after rabbits... we were 300 feet from the bottom. But she lived 18 years and passed in her sleep.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    AJO, ARIZONA
    Posts
    1,108

    Re: MC Dog Crate I Made

    We used to have a little mutt that would ride the rack of a honda trail 90. Our 2 chihuahuas will ride on our laps on our quads.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Under a Rock
    Posts
    3,742

    Re: MC Dog Crate I Made

    Bizarre
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221


    True Wisdom only comes from Pain.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    PDX PNW
    Posts
    6,625

    Re: MC Dog Crate I Made

    Project accomplished if u and the dogs are happy

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,166

    Re: MC Dog Crate I Made


    Bistineau


    On My ScoreBoard -

    Drivers: with their dog in their lap - 'hanging out the window, or
    assisting with steering'
    - impose the same acrimony as dawdling
    in the Left/Fast/Passing Lanes.

    I believe 'a dog in your lap' - is not just 'distracted driving, but
    reckless driving'
    - and should be subject to reflective penalties.

    A 'sack of potatoes cradled in your arms' - would invariably handicap
    a driver's response ability - when reacting to the unanticipated.

    The same is true [compounded] on a cycle . . .

    In a panic - the 'upper body fetters' you have constructed - would
    'restrict reactionary motion' - and you will go down . . .

    Without equal: I view your 'moto kennel' - as the most dangerous
    cycle accessory - I have seen to date . . .


    Opus



    ps -

    If you cared about 'Charles & Darwin' - I would teach them to ride
    in an open platform/box - at least they would have a chance when
    'you respond to an incident' . . . on your cycle-yacht . . .








    .
    Last edited by OPUS FERRO; 11-07-2018 at 01:20 AM. Reason: 'restricted minus ed = restrict'

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    361

    Re: MC Dog Crate I Made

    Now you're a cager on two wheels.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Wa. state
    Posts
    1,900

    Re: MC Dog Crate I Made

    Quote Originally Posted by OPUS FERRO View Post

    Bistineau


    On My ScoreBoard -

    Drivers: with their dog in their lap - 'hanging out the window, or
    assisting with steering'
    - impose the same acrimony as dawdling
    in the Left/Fast/Passing Lanes.

    I believe 'a dog in your lap' - is not just 'distracted driving, but
    reckless driving'
    - and should be subject to reflective penalties.

    A 'sack of potatoes cradled in your arms' - would invariably handicap
    a driver's response ability - when reacting to the unanticipated.

    The same is true [compounded] on a cycle . . .

    In a panic - the 'upper body fetters' you have constructed - would
    'restrict reactionary motion' - and you will go down . . .

    Without equal: I view your 'moto kennel' - as the most dangerous
    cycle accessory - I have seen to date . . .


    Opus



    ps -

    If you cared about 'Charles & Darwin' - I would teach them to ride
    in an open platform/box - at least they would have a chance when
    'you respond to an incident' . . . on your cycle-yacht . . .








    .
    Darwin also hates people that cant read ALL the posts ALL the way through. Your post is absolutely stupid.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    PDX PNW
    Posts
    6,625

    Re: MC Dog Crate I Made

    My grandpa drove with 2 poodles in his lap and no problems . Opus In Amsterdam they have something called the red light district where you are able to finally lose it. U just gota pay for it

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,830

    Re: MC Dog Crate I Made

    I do agree that dogs are a distraction while driving if they are in your lap but I really do not see a problem with this carrier for the scoot.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
RSS | Home | Penton Media | Contact Us | Subscribe | For Advertisers | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement