Eastwood Digital Tig .vs AHP Tig - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Eastwood Digital Tig .vs AHP Tig

Thanks for your positivity there, Pat.

I'm sure it couldn't have had anything to do with wanting my project done by a certain time frame next year, looking at finances, and deciding that being able to start practicing earlier rather than later would be a good thing. Plus, the fact that I got the last one in the store, and with the 1 year risk free trial, I can even still decide to return it with no money lost (giving me the option of thinking it over for longer), .vs not being able to get it on sale otherwise. It was mildly more expensive than one of the two models, and almost $1000 less expensive than the other. Gas for driving to the store for the Eastwood negates the price difference, as well as the standing outside in line for a door buster type sale with no guarantee of getting the welder.

It's okay though. I'm smart enough to have been wading through the bull**** of people that don't have anything to add for decades. New to TIG != Stupid Kid.

Quote Originally Posted by pat h View Post
    So you maybe saved 200 bucks over regular price with a coupon still 100 more than more featured machines you argued about above, I think it only starts at 20a ac, but you sound like a genius on your above comments so I'm sure everything will be fine
    Those added features mean nothing to a newbie that does not know how to use them. In fact I think those "features" would get in the way of the learning process. I would tell you that the Eastwood offering is a non starter being only 220volts. Why? Because it is probably a hybird trans/inverter mosfet type machine for the price.

The AHP is a much better true inverter dual voltage tig. Only thing I have against it is the HF point type arc start function. If I was to buy one it would only be from a mail-order seller like SouthPaw or Kevin Caron on this forum. Still it has Euro style controls that I personally don't like.

In conclusion I still think purchasing, abusing, learning, and returning the Vulcan for refund is the way to go. Not to mention if anything goes wrong in the middle of a project he can drive over to the store for trade or refund. Then calculate the features he wants and upgrade.
    Last edited by shovelon; 11-20-2018 at 12:20 PM.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig4ea,MigMax1ea.

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    Those added features mean nothing to a newbie that does not know how to use them. In fact I think those "features" would get in the way of the learning process. I would tell you that the Eastwood offering is a non starter being only 220volts. Why? Because it is probably a hybird trans/inverter mosfet type machine for the price. .

I must say, even with "features" I don't find myself adjust much at any time. Basically only thing I ever play with is amps. Adjusting welding style is more key to good welds.
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

You made the right choice in my opinion, really, I guess my sarcasm doesn't show up on print, when (louie i think without looking back)suggested the harbor freight rig you said something like why pay more for a lesser optioned machine, maybe I read it wrong, I don't do much anything anymore but when a new weldor asks me what tig to start with I suggest the HF 200, as stated above most features on machines don't get used and if they do its because after years of trial and error and practice you know what the small changes in settings will do

I did say that. Part looking at numbers on things I haven't used, part wanting to justify either getting the more expensive welder (that likely is better), or at least getting something that seemed better than the Harbor Freight option. Because of some specifics on the Eastwood TIG, I think it's a case where the numbers on paper look good, but that doesn't mean it's any better. Just today for black friday, Everlast has their TIG's on sale, and the 250 EXT is even cheaper than the 210 EXT. I'm nearly regretting buying the HF. But, in reality, that's still a $500 difference. On the project I'm wanting to get started on, building a miniGP race bike, that's nearly half the cost of the engine, or the cost of the wheels and new race slicks.

In other news, I got some 2% lanth tungsten, gas, and some filler rod for mild steel and aluminum. I had some 1/4" steel plate that came with my house that was out in a shed. I partially cleaned it up with a belt sander, set it on a cheap toolbox as a makeshift welding table, and did some first practices on mild steel and aluminum. The mild steel doesn't look nice. I think on at least one, I took too long and overheated the part. The outside corner was the easiest one by far. As bad as they look, they seem to be structurally fine for stuff that isn't a safety concern. Then I tried aluminum, and it looked fantastic! Beginners luck, as they looked worse after that. Still, this was literally my first time ever trying TIG at all.

Name:  HHuMprN.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  226.9 KB

Name:  iSh5khn.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  145.8 KB

I think new welders get caught up in thinking they need all the fancy waveforms and adjustable frequency and pulse, honestly most welders don't need them. Like Louie said most stuff can be done with a simple machine
    Last edited by MetalMan23; 11-23-2018 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jfk92 View Post
    I bought a 2015 AHP Alpha Tig in 2017 - I am the 3rd owner. A few months in I had a board "go" - called and spoke to AHP support who were very helpful and responsive (if you call) - shipped me a new board, plugged it in - have been running since without issue ( 18 months). I have welded both aluminum and steel - thick and thin. I've maxed the AMP's out and used lower amps (to the best of my skill) - I am also a hobbyist. I am VERY pleased with the machine I have - and wish I could upgrade to the 2018 machine offered through Amazon - and get the 3 yr warranty offered. Good luck with your decision.

i just had a conversation last night with the square trade people that lasted about an hour. You need to read the terms and conditions of that 3 year NON warranty. specifically look at bullet " Q " under whats NOT covered.

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-02-17 at 10.47.54 AM.png
Views: 120
Size:  65.2 KB

What does that tell you ? I actually had them telling me not to buy it when i pointed that " Q " nullified the entire so called warranty.
    Heres the crazy part. If you buy this warranty they will pay the shipping both ways on repairs during the warranty period TO THEM ! As in square trade.....NOT AHP.... They have contractors that they can send to your home ( so they say ) for repair or they have you send them the welder and they have a repair center ( SO THEY SAY )... Of course, as soon as you do that , you have just let AHP off the hook for any warrantee claims as you just voided the warranty from AHP.

The take here is that people buy that square trade warranty thinking that its going to cover all the shipping to and from AHP when in fact square trade is the one doing the repairs. Also see this - - -

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-02-17 at 11.02.34 AM.png
Views: 118
Size:  68.8 KB

this seems to be in direct conflict from what i was told on the phone. The above mentions " the manufacturer " but thats not what i was told.

this entire thing seems shady as s%&t to me and I'm still confused about what would really happen.

here is the entire terms of service link for the plan offered for the AHP Alpha Tig 200x thats being offered on Amazon as of this date. Enjoy the reading. Maybe you will see something in there that gives clarity and you can share that with us.
    Engage attorneys

https://www.squaretrade.com/terms-standard
    When i grow up i want to be a welder

PRIMEWELD TIG225X
    Millermatic 215
    Everlast PowerPlasma 50
    oxy/ac
    Not enough talent to use any of it very well

I suspect you will be happy with the Vulcan, I had an AHP and now have a Lincoln square wave tig200 and I love the Lincoln because of the lack of options and it will do all I ask of it. I think I paid 1200 bucks for it 2 or 3 years ago don't know what they go for now but for 15 to 16 hundred bucks I would have no problem recommending it to a novice or a pro given that the power was sufficient for their purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by chipmunkshavenuts View Post
    Well, I appreciate your opinion, but spending more money on the HF option is frankly a non-starter for me. I'm not paying more money for less options, and I'm not "buying" one with the intention of returning it in a year and taking advantage of a business. All things being equal, I'd love to just buy the HTP, because frankly that's what I'd really like. In no way can I justify buying a welder and gear and startup kits of consumables and spend $3500 or more to get started. That's what I'd prefer, as I would really like to just buy the welder that I won't out grow. For reference, I've had my MIG welder for going on 23 years or so. I don't really have any "Jones's" to keep up with. I work on projects, it's what I do. One day I may do simple mods on a motorcycle. Another, I might be milling parts I develop for racing. Another, I might be welding together an exhaust from scratch. I'd like the bells and whistles because maybe I'll try making my own muffler using .020" stainless or titanium, if my welder can do it. Maybe in 5 years I'll decide to make something where one of the wave forms will help out, even though I'm a beginner to TIG today, looking at welders. If I'm going cheap, I'm going cheap. I don't see any reason to spend $300 extra for less features on Harbor Freight stuff. And frankly, everything is going to mail order these days. I fix 400 ton plastic injection machines and related systems for my day job. If Eastwood, Everlast, or AHP would just send me a part to fix a problem, great! Easier on me and I know it's done right. I'll probably be able to tell them exactly what component on the board failed anyway.
    well that pretty much nailed it. if i had the money to blow, id buy the 221 myself but i don't... so ahp or eastwood for me. any Tig machine with synergic post flow is a non starter for me, no matter the color. I'm not looking for frequent trips to the gas supplier.
    FWIW, i talked to AHP today and was told the only change from the 200x to the 201xd was no plastic knob cover on the 201xd. So rotate the cover on the 200x about 180 degrees and you get an instant upgrade to the new and improved 201xd.
    I've seen more than one person say buy the HF and learn to Tig and then take it back. Not cool in my opinion.
    but I'm just a newb dumb a$$ lurking here.
    Last edited by bevis28; 02-20-2019 at 07:10 PM.
    When i grow up i want to be a welder

PRIMEWELD TIG225X
    Millermatic 215
    Everlast PowerPlasma 50
    oxy/ac
    Not enough talent to use any of it very well

Quote Originally Posted by bevis28 View Post
    well that pretty much nailed it. if i had the money to blow, id buy the 221 myself but i don't... so ahp or eastwood for me. any Tig machine with synergic post flow is a non starter for me, no matter the color. I'm not looking for frequent trips to the gas supplier.
    FWIW, i talked to AHP today and was told the only change from the 200x to the 201xd was no plastic knob cover on the 201xd. So rotate the cover on the 200x about 180 degrees and you get an instant upgrade to the new and improved 201xd.
    I've seen more than one person say buy the HF and learn to Tig and then take it back. Not cool in my opinion.
    but I'm just a newb dumb a$$ lurking here.
    Go with the AHP, good to learn with, excellent value for the money. I agree with you about buying the HF, then returning it, def not cool. Back in my younger days I used to think that way, I'd buy a timing light, car ramps, etc, use em then return them. Now older and wiser(?)

Quote Originally Posted by bevis28 View Post
    i just had a conversation last night with the square trade people that lasted about an hour. You need to read the terms and conditions of that 3 year NON warranty. specifically look at bullet " Q " under whats NOT covered.

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-02-17 at 10.47.54 AM.png
Views: 120
Size:  65.2 KB

What does that tell you ? I actually had them telling me not to buy it when i pointed that " Q " nullified the entire so called warranty.
    Heres the crazy part. If you buy this warranty they will pay the shipping both ways on repairs during the warranty period TO THEM ! As in square trade.....NOT AHP.... They have contractors that they can send to your home ( so they say ) for repair or they have you send them the welder and they have a repair center ( SO THEY SAY )... Of course, as soon as you do that , you have just let AHP off the hook for any warrantee claims as you just voided the warranty from AHP.

The take here is that people buy that square trade warranty thinking that its going to cover all the shipping to and from AHP when in fact square trade is the one doing the repairs. Also see this - - -

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-02-17 at 11.02.34 AM.png
Views: 118
Size:  68.8 KB

this seems to be in direct conflict from what i was told on the phone. The above mentions " the manufacturer " but thats not what i was told.

this entire thing seems shady as s%&t to me and I'm still confused about what would really happen.

here is the entire terms of service link for the plan offered for the AHP Alpha Tig 200x thats being offered on Amazon as of this date. Enjoy the reading. Maybe you will see something in there that gives clarity and you can share that with us.
    Engage attorneys

https://www.squaretrade.com/terms-standard

I think square Trade's reps fly by the seat of the pants...

depending on what device they are warrantying.

I bought a carpet cleaner and the square trade warranty.
    when it had a problem after the mfg 1 year warranty expired- they went through some troubleshooting , when that didn't work they said they would call me back in a couple days with either a (local) repair facility to take it to or a refund.

3rd day i get a call that they are issuing a check for the $200 purchase price and i can just throw out the old cleaner and just buy a new 1 .
    put a new $17 fluid pump in it and still going years later.

It seems now their warranties run CONCURRENT with the manufacturers- so if the warranties are the same length

not sure there is much of a benefit
    1962 Idealarc Tig 300 300
    1974 Idealarc Tig 300 300 ( till owner needs it back)
    1988 Power Mig 150 (.112 f cap mod)
    2015 Lotos Ltpdc2000d plasma/arc/tig
    Victor 100 torch, 200- 210 Oxy/Acet gauges