Shopping list
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: Shopping list

Shopping list

I am a woodworking hobbiest. I plan on adding some steel understructures to my cabinets. One thing I learned when I started with woodworking is that the cost of the major equipment purchase (in that case the table saw) paled in comparison to all the attendant accessories.

I would like to compile a list of the essentials (other than the welder itself) that I will need, including clamps, tables, gloves, aprons, tongs, pliers, etc. so I can come up with a budget.

I will be building leg assemblies for cabinets and desks from 1" and 1˝ square tubing to start.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Re: Shopping list

Here is a start:
    A good auto darkening hood. Doesn’t have to be the most expensive available. Main difference in my Miller Elite and my Harbor Freight is the headgear.
    C25 tank for MIG.
    Clamps - c-type vise grips at least 4 of the 4x6. You can use your pipe or bar clamps too but take off the plastic covers or they will melt.
    Gloves - switch to cheap leather work gloves when handling steel instead of getting your welding gloves oily.
    If you don’t have a ballpein hammer you will need one.
    Welper pliers.
    Of course tape measure, squares, other measuring/layout tools.

First project should be a welding table. Mine is 24x30 with 1/4” top. It is ok for me but bigger is better.

Other guys will add to this list.
    Burt
    Miller Thunderbolt XL AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 120

10FtDrillBit.com

Thanks for the feed-back.

What size ball peen hammer? 16 ounce? 12 ounce?

I have three shop tables now with MDF tops. Can I mount a steel plate above one of those? How do I isolate the heat from the MDF? I am thinking more about space than expense on this matter. If I make a welding table I will have to dispose of one of the shop tables.

My tables are similar to this: http://lumberjocks.com/assets/pictur...jpg?1510764564

If you are going stick or flux-core welder you will need a chipping hammer. I would look into fireball tools welding squares. You would be able to do the welding on the floor (search "fireball tools welding squares" on UTube) I would go with a 16 oz ball peen. You can mount a plate on top of your table, to isolate the metal I would weld large nuts on the bottom of the metal, or dowels to go in the holes with sholders in them if you burn one just make another one.
    Can that table be broken down or is it permanent?
    Welders: IdealArc AC/DC 250
    Lincoln AC 225 converted to AC/DC
    O/A torches
    Lots of Hammers Clamps and Grinders

The shopping list can get huge... For instance, do you have any means to cut/grind metal? If not, you better plan on buying at the very least one angle grinder (5") with an assortment of cutting, grinding, flap and sanding discs. If you are going to buy the stock in full sticks (6m) and you want acurate square cuts, you will soon buy something better to cut to length (abrasive chop saw, carbide saw, band saw or cold saw).

Depending on the design of the legs you want to put together, you will probably need metal drilling capacity. Wood working drill presses are not the best for metal working (they run too fast), so it may or may not suit you. You will definetely need HSS drill bits.

And the list goes on...

Forget it. Go to a local ornamental iron shop with a drawing of what you want to build. Let them give you a price.Raw steel. You sand, paint add your woodwork etc.
    Stick with what you know. Learn more SLOWLY as you head in a different direction.

Shopping list

Coming up with your budget is going to be step 1. You could get by with $150 in tools or you could easily spend $1000 or much much more to get better suited tools that will make your work faster and cleaner.

So, what is your budget? $50,$500,$5000? I assume you probably are going to already have some tools that are useful.

Other than an auto darkening hood and gloves, you can “get by” with very little.

And if you have a good metal supplier nearby that will cut your parts to length, that list of needs gets even smaller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BKToad; 11-09-2018 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BKToad View Post
    Coming up with your budget is going to be step 1. You could get by with $150 in tools or you could easily spend $1000 or much much more to get better suited tools that will make your work faster and cleaner.

So, what is your budget? $50,$500,$5000? I assume you probably are going to already have some tools that are useful.

Other than an auto darkening hood and gloves, you can “get by” with very little.

And if you have a good metal supplier nearby that will cut your parts to length, that list of needs gets even smaller.

I spent $500.00 on the welder. I also bought a helmet.

I'd like to keep it (temporarily) to $500.00 to $1,000.00 for the accessories (including a chop saw).

I have a large number of clamps for woodworking. I'm not sure how well suited they are for welding.

My woodworking benchs are home made and feature a "MFT" type table top of 3/4" thick MDF.

My tables are similar to this, but with a more robust base: http://lumberjocks.com/assets/pictur...jpg?1510764564

The holes are 3/4" diameter on 4" spacing. I would not want to burn the top. It takes forever to drill all those holes.

I also have a miter vise from my years with a picture framing shop: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....lL._SX425_.jpg

I don't know how useful that is.

I own a Dewalt 4˝" angle grinder and I have small grinder for sharpening drill bits. I have a hobby grade band saw. I don't know how useful that would be on steel.

I have a hobby grade bench top drill press that is fine for wood, but I don't know how well it would fare for working on steel.

I would need a dedicated chop saw. My miter saw is set up for woodworking.

With a lot of practice you can get by with angle grinders for almost all of your cutting, grinding and finishing needs. It is not the easiest or most efficient tool for cutting and be prepared to do a lot of cleaning around the shop everytime used.

There are better cutting tools like a horizontal band saw, portable band saw, plasma cutter, circular metal bladed chop saw, oxy acetylene torch for brazing, cutting anealing and heating for many reasons, water jet, lazer cutting etc. The sky is the limit but with a $1000 budget you are pretty limited to a handful of good tools. If you buy used you can aquire more tools at better prices but you have to do some research or ask about specic tools before you buy or start looking to buy to weed put potential bad purchases.

Get some good marking tools. Scribes, center punches, straight edges, squares, black sharpies, lead pencils, paint markers, silver streak pencils. Blue metal die, angle finders, protractor and so on. Every tool you add to the arsenal has a use and can be great time savers as well as improve accuracy and tollerances.
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Thermal Dynamics 60i
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A

As a fellow woodworker, you know how important clamps are and that the best ones are worth every penny. Stronghand Ratchet Action Clamps are expensive bust so damn nice you'll never regret the purchase. I got a pair of 8-1/2" and a pair of 20-1/2". Wouldn't be without them.

Shopping list

The drill press should be fine for occasional use.

There is a lot you can do with the angle grinder. Just get some cutoff wheels and flap discs (i prefer flap discs, some people like grinding discs, ymmv). Really want a full face shield for using your grinders. And if you get a chopsaw, i would use it with that, too.

Really is up to you whether to get the standard import 4x6 metal cutting bandsaw or a dry cut chopsaw. I would say you really want one or the other. But if budget allows, get both. Pros and cons to each. Chopsaw is fast cutting, leaves clean cuts, and cuts square out of the box. But it is loud and throws metal chips all over the place. The bandsaw leaves clean cuts, can function as a vertical bandsaw, and doesn’t shoot metal shavings all over your shop (if you make a chip catcher tray under it, it is virtually mess free). But, it is slow and takes some tinkering to get square cuts. I would also get a couple roller stands to support 20ft stock while cutting.

Those are the big ticket items. The following are smaller tools and accessories, some of which you probably already have
    -speed square, framing square, combination square
    -welding magnets (dont trust them for square, but will hold materials square after adjusting to your framing square)
    -acetone to remove oils from stock
    -“c” clamps, vice grips, and vice grip type “c” clamps (a bench vice in a non-flammable area is super nice, too)
    -90degree clamps
    -scribe, silver pencil, sharpie
    -mig pliers
    -thread tape and crescent wrench for gas bottle hookup
    -plenty of other things you will find you “need.” But this list is more than enough to get started.

A good table-mounted belt grinder is an honorable mention, but likely out of your start-up budget.

As mentioned, you can never have enough marking tools/pens/devices. I would say the same applies for squares/angle finding tools and clamps.
    Last edited by BKToad; 11-13-2018 at 07:49 PM.

I always stop at garage sales. I do my shopping at end of week and there are always a garage sale on the way. Basic tools like hammers, squares, chisels, punches, and clamps are usually avaiable. I found a basic home owner sale is best for prices. They just want to get rid of stuff. Sales with lots of tools are usually more money but more choices. i never pass up hammers and clamps and vise grips.
    Check craigslist too for tools, stands , grinders, and saws. There are many people who start a hobby and then quit or are moving. I've gotten awesome deals for many.
    You may consider getting a Milwaukee portaband saw. I have a few and a couple set up permanent on a stand . One of the most go to tools I have. It definitely will be good for the 1'' stuff. A foot pedal works great with the portaband . I bought these really cheap because they had a busted casting. Would not be safe to use by hand. I made a sheetmetal patch for it even though it is always mounted. You can see the sheet metal band on the top on the one by tool box.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I would like to thank everyone who posted.

Surprisingly I have a number of the items listed. I do have to locate a source for the gas and for the steel stock--I would not want to buy steel from Home Depot.

But this list was very helpful. On the top of my list is going to be the gas tank, and a dry chop saw. I will try using my existing clamps. I have an awful lot of them.

I have a couple of Starret squares, and at work we have a full toolroom so I can get some things done at lunch if it is too challenging for my equipment.

We build all our own machinery here (including the base frames) so I can get some welding pointers from the tool makers, which I think is going to be a help.

I'm finishing up remodeling a bathroom--I should be done in 3 or 4 weeks (I only work on it on weekends). It was a complete gut so a lot of work. I will test the welder once that is done.

Thanks again.

Post your location. Members may suggest tank and steel suppliers in your area.

I don't blame anyone for wanting to learn new things, I actually admire it. One thing I didn't see listed and I may have missed it is a FIRE EXTINGISURE because woodworking and welding in the same area is a bad idea in my opinion .
    I'm kinda with bonzo on this have your metal work done by a person who does metal if you can find one, may be able to trade services itch them.
    Just my opinion it's free and still overpriced
    Mike