HF band saw Wheel Alignment
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

HF band saw Wheel Alignment

Name:  CF5E54B9-246E-45C3-8557-959AA485EBD1.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  61.5 KBI aligned the 2 wheels with a straight edge and they are parrell and coplaner. BUT when I align the blade all the way back to the wheel flange, it moves and the blade overhangs 1/8", and it does not fly off, it's in equilibrium. WHAT GIVES, is this ok, b/c I heard the blade must be flush with the flange. I did remove the guide bearings though. Is this normal, ok??? Maybe when I add the guide bearings back, it will be reposition properly? IDK
    Last edited by n00b; 11-07-2018 at 10:43 PM.
    "It's always SPOOOOOOKY Season."

NJ- "Its only illegal if you get caught" - Chinesium welder

Yoda: Overlord of Magic Smoke, I am

Re: HF band saw Wheel Alignment

This document is the BIBLE when it comes to tuning a 4x6 band saw. I would read it through and try some of these adjustments. That is not normal.

https://wiki.hsbne.org/_media/tools/...dsawadjust.pdf
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

n00b

I'll tell you how to tune the sheaves & blade - if you'll
    turn your hat-bill forward - and expunge the circus -

Opus

I think you lost him at sheave (which btw, I thought wheel was the correct term too), and you definitely lost him at expunge... LOL
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Is that some mysterious AvE speaaaaaak??? IDK aaaah. I'll check out the Bible thx.

Louie1961

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    I think you lost him at sheave (which btw, I thought wheel was the correct term too),
    and you definitely lost him at expunge... LOL
    I acknowledge 'the correct' - sheaves have two flanges for wire rope containment.

Horizontal band saws have a - roller/wheel - with a 'single [thrust] top flange'.

[Vertical band saws - run tires - if there is no thrust, bands/belts climb to the
    high side of the pulley/wheel/sheave]. This info is not relevant to the OP's ?

Opus

ps -

I have weak-knees for Russian Literature - War and Peace - was easier to read
    than . . .

https://wiki.hsbne.org/_media/tools/...dsawadjust.pdf

Last edited by OPUS FERRO; 11-08-2018 at 12:44 AM. Reason: . . . Prometheus . . .

A pulley is also called a sheave. I believe for the band saws, wheel would be more correct.

The wheels, while lined up in a sense, control the position of the saw blade much more like a belt sander does by adjusting the angle of one of the wheels. There's an adjustment on the wheel on the opposite end as the motor for just this type of scenario. The blade is actually not supposed to ride snugly right up against the ridge on the back side of the wheel though. You should be able to adjust it to have a very small amount of clearance. That way, it's not wearing that ridge down.

I like to keep the teeth, set, wave just off the wheel a tad. Just me, but my saws are mine so I adjust them the way I like. No sense putting one sided pressure on the set and/or wave of the blade and less sense to run a sharp tooth up against a hard steel or cast wheel.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

They are cheap-*** saws(I know, I own one), so tolerances might be (are)a bit sloppy, etc, so just go through the steps as described above, and fine-tune your set up procedures to work with your saw. In the end, it's basic mechanics as far as lining up wheels/sheaves/pulleys to keep the blade running true without falling off, and getting your cut straight and true as possible.

The blade back should be up against the shoulder on the wheel.

The blade cannot be flush with the front of the wheel.

The teeth have set - they are offset sideways to create a cut with clearance wider than the blade body

The teeth have to run off the front of the wheel otherwise the blade tightening pressure would flatten out the teeth.

In a quality saw such as my H.F. Wells W-9, the drive wheels are called just that, "wheels". The access covers are even called "idler, and tension wheel doors".

Here's an exerpt:

Name:  W-9.JPG
Views: 152
Size:  74.8 KB
    Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

Yes, the bearing guides have a big influence on how the blade rides on the wheels.
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

OK SO I MADE A MISTAKE. Turns out that i didnt use a 28 1/2" straight edge, used a 24" and aligned 3/4 wheel edges as each wheel has 2 edges (top/bottom). Well I found out that no matter how much I adjust the screw thing, one of the edges will always be off a little. For instance, if i tighten it, the bottom of the bottom wheel will be out of line but the bottom of the top wheel will be in line, and if i loosen it the bottom of the bottom wheel will be in line, and the bottom of top wheel will be out of line. YIKES, see the problemo. So basically, the best sweet spot yeiled a perfect top wheel with no overhang except the teeth and the bottom wheel had an 1/8" overhang. IS THIS OKAY. Do i have to shim crap now, b/c i don't know if those wheels can come off.

NOW THE NEXT ISSUE IS IT HAS 2 ECENCENTRIC BEARINGS. How am i supposed to get one of the bearings to be linear with the other as i have no reference ?????

Strange- I just followed the directions in the manual

https://manuals.harborfreight.com/ma...3999/93762.pdf
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

+Brocolli. lol. same. And it didn't cut it. See i got my BAND SAW USED..... So its different, its not like it came perfect from the factory. Quick Question. I have to figure this out but a lot of times, the motor stalls, and i have to take a pliers spin the belt a little and then pull my hand out asap to start it. IDK why, is it a bad capacitor ?? I also dont get why there's this little screw that adjusts the motor swing up and down. wait i think something like that is in the instructions.
    Last edited by n00b; 11-08-2018 at 01:39 PM.