What's going wrong on these welds?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

What's going wrong on these welds?

I'm practicing outside corners in vertical up fluxcore. They're turning out like crap no matter how far up or down I turn any settings. I thought maybe my technique was off (and it may be) so I did some inside corners vertical up and they're fine. I'm using small coupons for practice to save metal. The outside corners are not mitered but are butted leaving a channel to put the weld in.

Specs: 1/8" mild steel, Lincoln 135, .035 fluxcore Lincoln Innershield NR211. It's not a digital machine so I can't give those specs. The door chart settings are pretty good for 1/8" and they work fine for nearly anything except these outside corners. That setting builds a really high lumpy weld there.

So I kept turning the settings down but nothing helped except that the profile wasn't as high. They're turned down so far at this point that I'm not sure it's a solid enough weld and the bead still looks awful. Nothing like all the other welds I do.

Outside corners: First photo is with a slight circular weave, second photo is a stringer. Settings on those two are way cooler than the Inside corner. Third photo (inside corner) is a slight circular weave, pretty flat bead or slightly concave despite the photo. Never mind the starts and endings, I wasn't focusing on that.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can fix my outside corners? Grinding doesn't count. I'm wondering if fluxcore causes it but crap beads only show up there, nowhere else if I pay attention to what I'm doing.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by JD1; 11-08-2018 at 05:02 PM.

Re: What's going wrong on these welds?

Edit.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Outside open corners are tuff. Slightly hot maybe is my guess. No heat sinc an these outside corners and often you need to turn it way back down. Do a slight back and forth across with a pause at the sides and fast back across the middle, watch the puddle at the pause & edges and below the arc contact (lizard eyes) at the same time. Feeling like screwing around today so I ran out and ran one just for giggles. This is on 1/4 inch scrap with hobart .045 T11, ran at about 18 volts and probably about 80-to-90 amps. I 'probably because the lowest reference on their chart shows 105 ipm is about 115 amps. This was at 75 ipm. One pass. Don't have any .035 mounted up. Gave it one practice shot on another piece of scrap then went for it. Not pretty like some here but passable for me.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

I am thinking it looks bit to hot as well. Maybe move a little faster and see what that does for the weld bead.
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Thermal Dynamics 60i
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A

Which way are you pointing the gun while moving up? Do you have it pointed down towards the floor or up in the direction of travel? Should be pointed down.

Polarity?

I think I figured it out. I watched some outside corner videos last night: Jody, Weld.com, Kevin and their welds were awesome. Jody said use a 90 degree gun angle. But I noticed they were all using solid wire with gas, not flux core.

I remembered from Jody's other videos he commented that with gas you can push or drag or be at 90 degrees without a huge difference. However with self shield flux core you've got to drag. With the previous samples I was close to 90 or a bit up on gun angle.

At first glance I didn't think Bistineau's comment was correct but the more I thought about it I decided he was correct if you're using flux core for vertical up. So I went out to the shop and changed my gun angle to point down so as to be dragging. I also did a slight side to side weave and left the settings low like they were. They're set now for 16 ga instead of 11 ga (1/8").

Not perfect but much better results as you can see. Changing gun angle because it was flux core made the difference. What's still mysterious is that I used the same up gun angle on the inside vertical up corner as on the outside corner and it didn't screw up but at least the outside corner problem seems to be solved.
    Last edited by JD1; 11-09-2018 at 02:30 PM.

Jodi says if there is slag then you drag.
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Thermal Dynamics 60i
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A

much better!

next perhaps set the machine for 12 or 14 gauge and run a quicker stringer.

Yeah, I'm going to gradually crank it back up and see how it goes. No stringers though, I'm too shaky even when braced. A slight weave works better for me.