HF Titanium Unlimited 200 or Hobart 190? First welder help!
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

HF Titanium Unlimited 200 or Hobart 190? First welder help!

I decided Black Friday I was going to buy the Hobart 190 welder for my first welder (i've welded a little bit but not with my own welder), then I get an email that Harbor Freight came out with this Titanium 200 welder with a little better looking specs and a digital display for adjustments (a complaint that the Hobart doesn't have this, just 5 notches for setting).

The HF just came out weeks ago, so I can't find any reviews. Has anyone used one yet? Who makes "Titanium" welders?

Also, new to the forum, I just saw someone saying buy a Vulcan from HF and return it if its not what you like in 364 days... Their return policy allows a year on a welder? If so, thats amazing.

Thanks!!
    John

Re: HF Titanium Unlimited 200 or Hobart 190? First welder help!

I would like the 120V setup, but it is not necessary. I may use the aluminum gun 1 time a year if that... I will be welding a car frame/body supports and random stuff around the house/farm (nothing thicker than 1/4").

I don't know anything about the new Titanium welders from HF either, as I just saw the new ad for them a day or so myself. I just wanted to say, the "aluminum gun" as you call it, is called a spool gun. It can be loaded with most any wire you would use with the welder, like solid or flux core. So you could still use it more than once a year with one of those wires or a different size. Just say if most of your welding is in the shop but occasionally you need to weld outside, you could load the spool gun with flux core and have a larger roll of solid inside the machine. Then when you need to go outside, simply plug in & use the spool gun. If your situation is reversed do the opposite and load a big roll of flux core in the machine and the solid wire in the SG. If you run solid wire exclusively then load up two different sizes like 0.023 in one and 0.030 or 0.035 in the other for thicker metal. then just use the one that has the wire size you need for the thickness you are working with at the time and not as much switching around. Use the larger roll for whatever you anticipate doing the most and the smaller for the least. You will get more use from your SG that way instead of once a year(maybe), and you can always load it with aluminum wire for when you need to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bistineau View Post
    I don't know anything about the new Titanium welders from HF either, as I just saw the new ad for them a day or so myself. I just wanted to say, the "aluminum gun" as you call it, is called a spool gun. It can be loaded with most any wire you would use with the welder, like solid or flux core. So you could still use it more than once a year with one of those wires or a different size. Just say if most of your welding is in the shop but occasionally you need to weld outside, you could load the spool gun with flux core and have a larger roll of solid inside the machine. Then when you need to go outside, simply plug in & use the spool gun. If your situation is reversed do the opposite and load a big roll of flux core in the machine and the solid wire in the SG. If you run solid wire exclusively then load up two different sizes like 0.023 in one and 0.030 or 0.035 in the other for thicker metal. then just use the one that has the wire size you need for the thickness you are working with at the time and not as much switching around. Use the larger roll for whatever you anticipate doing the most and the smaller for the least. You will get more use from your SG that way instead of once a year(maybe), and you can always load it with aluminum wire for when you need to do that.
    That's a good idea, didn't think of it that way! That would be a PRO for the HF setup then, cause the Hobart doesn't have the SG (purchase separately for like half the price of the welder). Still skeptical on a welder from HF, I'm sure it would work fine for me but I want it to last for my years and years.

I took a look at the titanium series a couple of days ago, it looks to have a decent wire feed assembly, and the spool holder looks decent. It didn't have a gun on it but was a euro style connector IIRC. I think the case was aluminum & looked a lot like the other offshore (chinese) machines, with the good reviews and return policy, I would be personally tempted to try a Vulcan, at least until the Titanium has a chance to gain a reputation & depending on their return policy, & then if you didn't like it you can return & buy the Hobart.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Quote Originally Posted by srtfanatic View Post
    I decided Black Friday I was going to buy the Hobart 190 welder for my first welder (i've welded a little bit but not with my own welder), then I get an email that Harbor Freight came out with this Titanium 200 welder with a little better looking specs and a digital display for adjustments (a complaint that the Hobart doesn't have this, just 5 notches for setting).

The HF just came out weeks ago, so I can't find any reviews. Has anyone used one yet? Who makes "Titanium" welders?

Also, new to the forum, I just saw someone saying buy a Vulcan from HF and return it if its not what you like in 364 days... Their return policy allows a year on a welder? If so, thats amazing.

Thanks!!
    John
    Titanium 200: 15% duty cycle at rated output??

warranty:

We guarantee this product to be free from defects in materials and workmanship 90 days from the date of purchase. Limitations apply

Vulcan is a better bargain for the price difference with the warranty difference.

Mmm The Vulcans also seem to have jumped up in price at the same time they introduced the Titanium line...
    Last edited by 455dan; 11-11-2018 at 05:25 PM.
    1962 Idealarc Tig 300 300
    1974 Idealarc Tig 300 300 ( till owner needs it back)
    1988 Power Mig 150 (.112 f cap mod)
    2015 Lotos Ltpdc2000d plasma/arc/tig
    Victor 100 torch, 200- 210 Oxy/Acet gauges

The Hobart welder has a 2 year warranty and can be repaired at almost any welder repair shop.
    If the Harbor freight welder dies you just get another one. Call there tech support and ask about parts and repairs after warranty runs out.
    30% duty cycle limit and runs on 240 volts.

Quote Originally Posted by ccawgc View Post
    The Hobart welder has a 2 year warranty and can be repaired at almost any welder repair shop.
    If the Harbor freight welder dies you just get another one. Call there tech support and ask about parts and repairs after warranty runs out.
    30% duty cycle limit and runs on 240 volts.
    My thoughts exactly after pondering, I worry about replacement parts down the road for the Harbor Frieght... At least I know the Hobart is proven and tested. That's what I am going to get ($649 black friday at TSC).

Thanks for the input everyone!

How would rinning steel wire through the spoolgun effect aluminum wire run through the same gun. Wouldn’t the steel paticles left behind in the spoolgun cause issues in the aluminum weld?
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Thermal Dynamics 60i
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A