Fireplace Screen
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Fireplace Screen

One of the projects over the years that I always wanted to build was a fireplace screen. I never built one because I didn't know how to weld. I took a CE welding class at the local CC last year and the rest is history. I decided on a screen like most you see online, a main front and then winged sides. Dimensions are 30"x30" for the front and 12"x30" for the wings.

Wings:

Front:

Front and wings:

Tack Tack (most of the welds were tacks and I fully welded the front face. With everything being 1/2" 16ga tubing, it doesn't take much.

I ordered the fireplace screen and when it came in I was a little unsure as to how I was going to attach it to the frame. I did some research and it seemed most people use washers or something similar to hold the screen to the frame. But the screen wasn't as rigid as I thought it was going to be. Plus, I couldn't see me having enough hands to hold the screen, washer, pull the screen tight and then tack the washer. So I came up with another idea. I picked up some 1/2" flat bar and made some strapping to replicate the frame. I then drilled holes about 3" apart all the way around the frame and used self tapping screws to tighten everything down. This worked out much better and I was able to get the screen pretty tight. There's a couple waves still left in it but as you can see by the pics they are hard to spot.

Strapping mockup

Last edited by Bruiser; 11-08-2018 at 08:33 PM.

Re: Fireplace Screen

Holes drilled

Installed!

nice job Bruiser.. simple but perfect for the job\... best thing I ever did was convert my wood burning fireplace to gas logs... retired my wedges and sledge !!!

you Texicans love those stars don't you...

john

Thanks! Yep, the Lone Star State and all... They actually sell those at the local metal supply store in a few different sizes for a couple bucks each. They are cast so I just tacked them.
    Last edited by Bruiser; 11-08-2018 at 08:50 PM.

Nice !!

Nice work, next thing you know you'll have a garage full of working welders and your wife will be asking why you need them all (I have 6 stick welders, one engine driven) welcome to the addiction

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Good job on the fireplace screen. I made one a couple of years ago. I started with angle iron but ended up adding tube to keep it from flexing after adding the flat pieces.

Name:  2C454C3D-56C5-4FBE-8516-5463F18F4589.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  112.5 KB
    Burt
    Miller Thunderbolt XL AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 120

10FtDrillBit.com

Nice screen, I really like the design.

Quote Originally Posted by colindstark View Post
    Nice work, next thing you know you'll have a garage full of working welders and your wife will be asking why you need them all
    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    True.

Nice job bruiser

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.