More TIG “brazing” help needed. - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: More TIG “brazing” help needed.

It looks like you are heating the base metal a little too much. I can't tell if that's from having the machine set too low and waiting for the rods to heat up, or waiting too long to add your filler. SB needs you to move fast to get clean welds. Also when you finish the weld do not remove the torch from the weld zone right away, wait until the gas flow stops.Remember that if you are not getting the results you want try something different. We all get locked into doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Thanks Patrick, that looks perfect. I'll try and see if I can find another brand than Dremel, since i find their rotary tool accessories to wear out faster than better quality ones. I love my foredom by the way although they are a bit more expensive.

Arcflash, the last ones were done at 90 amps and for about a second or even less. More of a tack. At a lower amperage I have to spend too much time and put even more heat in. Fusing seems to work well. As far as filler is concerned I will try some more but I have to figure out where to place it and where to aim the arc better. Not much time to adjust on the fly.

SB can be tricky to not overheat and the joint you are doing leaves little forgiveness.Try coming in with the filler from the opposite direction at the same time you strike the arc.

What u did is called (speed tacking)and it works extremely well and let’s u hold the parts with one hand while blasting the 2 pieces together. For thicker stuff u gota turn up the amps more. When in doubt turn up the amps for speed tacking or longer duration tack will also help. If your running into the problem where they don’t wanna join. It does it so fast and quick U can put your finger on the tack couple seconds later or less. A part as small as yours maybe not but bigger stuff yes.Name:  FD4CD88C-A2E3-4516-A306-4A86438253BD.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  34.0 KB first one is 1/8 sheet to 16 gauge tube then 1/4” , both stainless. Then I weld them outName:  BB6A3B3F-668A-4BD0-B940-E863D339D4DD.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  53.5 KBback when I was running lay wire but gave it up because it was tough to get consistent looking welds

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceL View Post
    Thanks Patrick, that looks perfect. I'll try and see if I can find another brand than Dremel, since i find their rotary tool accessories to wear out faster than better quality ones. I love my foredom by the way although they are a bit more expensive.
    Patrice,
    I was burning up one to two Dremel tools each year before I switched to an air powered tool. I also find some of their accessories are a bit pricy but Dremel quality is much better than many cheap import products. If you find or know of good quality accessories, let me know since we do some similar projects.

I had looked at Foredom tools and was going to get one of theirs but came upon a great deal for an air tool. The primary disadvantage I now have is in the dead of winter, my compressor doesnt like to run too much. A Foredom or clone that is electric powered is on my wish list and one day I will get one.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Arcflash, I'll try coming from the opposite direction with the filler like you suggest.

Motolife, I'll try more amps to see what happens.

Patrick, I highly suggest you get a Foredom. They last forever and the variable speed with the pedal is a big plus. A lot less noisy than air tools too and like you said no compressor to worry about so all in all it's not that much more expensive in a way.
    As far as accessories are concerned I usually find better quality ordering from jeweler's suppliers. I'll order a few things and let you know if I find something of better quality

Another big thanks to all of you.

Thanks for the tip on looking at jewelers supplies. I had never thought of those places but it makes perfect sense now.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

I went out in the shop Sunday to play with this problem. Had good success with coming in straight from the top with 1/16 SB laying on top of the joint. One very quick blast and the weld was done with no discoloration. I was running 100 amps with the joint laying on a copper bar. If it takes more than a second thats too long.

Thanks for taking the time to try it out arcflash, I'll give it a try like that.👍