Newbie and new to this forum
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Newbie and new to this forum

Hi, I've welded some and took a welding class at the community college here in Indianapolis. More later

I have a question about my welding equipment (gauges and flow meter). I inherited a Hobart Handler 120 from my dad (don't say it, I know it is undersized but it is what I have now). He was an old school guy and a very good welder. Anyway it has a Harris gauge with a flow meter. Not sure if it is the hose or the flowmeter. The gauge needle goes up to 1/2 way of the dial when the gas valve is opened. When the flow meter is opened the ball goes nowhere. And if I turn the welder on the wire comes out when the gun is depressed but doesn't weld. The polarity is setup as in the highlighted part of the picture.
    Could it be the hose from the flow meter to the welder? One thing I realize I didn't do b4 attaching the regulator open the valve slightly to blow out dust or dirt out of the valve.

Thanks, all help is appreciated

Ready to get to welding. VW project to take care of.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: Newbie and new to this forum

My recommendation is take it to a local weld supply that sells Miller/Hobart for a review/clean/fix and see what they say about it.It's an OK machine to weld 15 ga tube or 1/8 plate.I doubt the repairs etc will be very spendy.If they say over $150 tell them to shub it up dey asz and buy a dual volt machine from Hobart or Miller. 187/211 etc.Lincoln offers a dual volt 180 that's a good machine too.
    Be ready for the Vulcan Harbor Fright idiots to come screaming in promoting that garbage.

Re: Newbie and new to this forum

Welcome!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN