testing a used welder
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

testing a used welder

I found an amazing deal for a mig welder, and I was wondering what is the proper way to test a used mig welder. The seller said I could test it there. Should I bring wire to test it, I.E. some flux-core? Also what good things should I look for, and what are some red flags to look for?

Re: testing a used welder

Quote Originally Posted by SamC View Post
    I found an amazing deal for a mig welder, and I was wondering what is the proper way to test a used mig welder. The seller said I could test it there. Should I bring wire to test it, I.E. some flux-core? Also what good things should I look for, and what are some red flags to look for?
    Test wire feeds properly, is gas solenoid working, does arc start, if gas is available, test solid wire, but yeah, also try fluxcore.
    See if rollers slip under tension, etc. See if it welds. Needing a new liner, tips, etc, small items depending on price

Quote Originally Posted by ljdm View Post
    Test wire feeds properly, is gas solenoid working, does arc start, if gas is available, test solid wire, but yeah, also try fluxcore.
    See if rollers slip under tension, etc. See if it welds. Needing a new liner, tips, etc, small items depending on price
    Alright Thank You

Help a whole lot if you specified what machine you're looking at.

Far as testing is concerned ask the seller what wire is in it and does he have gas there and hooked up. Far as I know there ain't a mind reader on this board so till you put some information out you only get hot air back.

Define " amazing deal". You live in Nevada so that takes your and my " amazing" to entirely different perspectives.

Where in Nevada are you? What type, brand and model of welder is it. Price? It may not be as amazing as you think.
    Havre u ever welded before? If not you probably won't have much luck testing it. Ask seller if he can demonstrate it's use
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; ESAB 875 plasma;Evo 355. OA

Quote Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
    Where in Nevada are you? What type, brand and model of welder is it. Price? It may not be as amazing as you think.
    Havre u ever welded before? If not you probably won't have much luck testing it. Ask seller if he can demonstrate it's use
    It is a Lincoln Pro-Mig 135, I been welding for awhile now. The machine is around $300

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    Define " amazing deal". You live in Nevada so that takes your and my " amazing" to entirely different perspectives.
    It is around $300 and the guys says it works well. It is out of town and the guy said he is getting a 240v welder to replace it to do bigger projects.

It is around $300 and the guys says it works well. It is out of town and the guy said he is getting a 240v welder to replace it to do bigger projects.
    He's selling it because it lacks capacity to weld anything more than a bandaid can set up adjacent to where the electric service comes into the house.. If you buy it you'll learn that soon.

Save your money and buy a 240 volt machine you can use a long time.

That's expensive for that machine used. X2 ON ABOVE. 110 MIG welders are useless for anything above sheet metal. And flux core sucks on sheet metal, it's designed for plate which needs more amps. That's why there are so many cheap for sale used.
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; ESAB 875 plasma;Evo 355. OA

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil5 View Post
    He's selling it because it lacks capacity to weld anything more than a bandaid can set up adjacent to where the electric service comes into the house.. If you buy it you'll learn that soon.

Save your money and buy a 240 volt machine you can use a long time.

okay I see what you mean, but I don't really do anything that would be bigger then 1/8" and if it is I would just arc weld it. This is also a machine for my house and I have used a 135 before and I love them. I just I can't justify getting a 220v for my house because I can't see myself using it that much, I also don't have a 220v plug at my house.
    Last edited by SamC; 11-09-2018 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Did not add quote

Dryers have 220 plugs and electric stoves. If you have any space in your breaker box two breakers on opposite legs gets you 220.
    I'm with the 220v welder crowd.

okay I see what you mean, but I don't really do anything that would be bigger then 1/8" and if it is I would just arc weld it. This is also a machine for my house and I have used a 135 before and I love them. I just I can't justify getting a 220v for my house because I can't see myself using it that much, I also don't have a 220v plug at my house.
    120V Arc Welder? Sounds kind of limited also. If you don't have 240VAC in the house that would be a priority as your options are far greater with it. You can get twice the machine at the same money with 240VAC.
    Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

Check your breakers. It is nice to have 20amps at 120v for those migs. Price does seem high.

So I went to go get it and I had the called the guy before I got to Cali and he said to meet him on Saturday. So on Saturday I called him to get an address and he said he sold it. I had called and contacted him couple days before and maintained steady contact with the guy up to Saturday. Then out of the blue he said he sold it, right as I was heading over to him. So I went back to craigslist to look and found another one that came with a tank so I go down to the area and check it out. The second welder was missing the gas connection and the knobs where very loose, the overall condition of the welder was way different then the photo so I turned down the offer. The second welder was priced at $400 which was a bit much, so I offered him around $190 to $200 for the thing but he turned the offer down. So I did not get a welder, but I am still looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Slob View Post
    120V Arc Welder? Sounds kind of limited also. If you don't have 240VAC in the house that would be a priority as your options are far greater with it. You can get twice the machine at the same money with 240VAC.

Yeah, the shop where I work at is getting a 220v plug in. This welder is just for my house for me to mess around with and I don't want to spend too much on it.
    Last edited by SamC; 11-11-2018 at 11:50 PM. Reason: I forgot a quote again!!