Hellow new to forum, need some advice
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Hellow new to forum, need some advice

Hello, thanks for the opportunity to join this forum. For years I wanted to get into welding so I recently picked up an ESAB EMP 215ic, pic attached. It's been a loooooooooong time since I welded (back in school) many years ago. I'm excited to start using my machine to build some things. My machine is dual voltage, when we built our house I had a 240v outlet put in the garage, however I recently discovered its only #10 wire so its limited to 30 amp. After I got the welder and realized I was limited to only 30 amps I am hoping it will give me enough amps. I need to do a little more research on that, any input on amps required for an MP machine would be greatly appreaciated. So for now I am using it on a 120v 20 amp circuit

I wanted to start practicing on some scrap metal so I got the machine setup. I'm using C25 gas (75% argon, 25% CO2) and opened the regulator to the green (mig) area on the gauge as per the instructions. From what I have been hearing commonly is 12 -15 CFH on gas flow. The recommended setting from the setup manual is somewhere in the green area which is between 27 - 45 CFH on the gauge if I am reading it right, see the attached pic. I installed the sample spool of wire which is 0.030 ER70S-6. Interestingly it's not a copper coated color like I am use to seeing, its a dull silver color. The drive roll and tip are for .030 wire.

After getting it setup I wanted to practice on some flat plate. I have a peice of 3/16" plate that I cleaned off the rust and put down a few beads. At the end of all of the beads there is a crater in the base metal, see the attached pic. As far as settings go I have tried two different setups, first is the sMIG which stands for smart mig. You input the wire and plate size and it determines the wire speed and voltage on its own. After getting the craters I switched to manual mode and set the wire speed at 283 and voltage at 20, this is according to the chart on the machine. I got the same result with craters. I am wondering what it is that I am doing wrong, if its technique or the machine. Any ideas?

Sorry when I uploaded some of the pics they came in upside down and I don't know how to rotate them, they are rotated correctly on my computer.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Re: Hellow new to forum, need some advice

Welcome to the forum. You should be fine with your 220v outlet. Some of the sparkies on here can explain about derating the circuit for welders.

You should solve the craters by lingering at the end for a second and add a little extra wire, then hold the nozzle there for another few seconds for the gas to cover fully.

Let us know your progress.
    Burt
    Miller Thunderbolt XL AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 120

10FtDrillBit.com

Welcome! Since welding is typically an "interrupted use process" your 30 amp service is probably adequate, someone will likely chime that can give you the down & dirty on it, it may help to post on the mig or general forum or even the electrical forum. You may also have your gun leaned over too much, maybe bring it up a few degrees. Best wishes on your new endeavors!
    Last edited by CAVEMANN; 11-10-2018 at 03:04 PM.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Thanks for the welcome. I did some more welding to try and figure out the problem. When I spot weld it looks horrible, full of porosity. Tried some more beads and at the end of the weld I fed a little more wire and held the gun there for a second to deliver the gas and ended up with the same result of craters. I noticed on the screen of the welder it would flash a code for a few seconds saying error low input voltage error 009, I hadn't looked at the machine after my previous welds so I didn't notice the error. So I am guessing it has something to do with that. I am going to try a different circuit and to get the 240 volt connection working. I'll let you know how it goes.

Are you getting any postflow after you release the trigger, and, is your polarity correct?
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    RONALD REAGAN

I checked the postflow. Looks like by default it was set to 0.1s. I changed it to 0.5s and no change, changed it to 1.5s and no change. The polarity should be correct, I have the input on positive and ground cable to the negative terminal. I'm still getting the same result. I changed to a different 120v circuit and I am getting the same low voltage error. I need to switch out my outlet style on my 240v circuit then I will try that.

If you're getting a low voltage error I would check the voltage at the receptacle, also check your 240 plugs, if your 120 is low, the the 240 will be low also. To make sure it's not an issue on one side of the box find an outlet that feeds from the other line, you may have a loose connection on one of the lines in the panel.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    RONALD REAGAN

Are you using an extension cord or plugging the welder directly into the outlet. If using an extension cord it is possible you are getting voltage drop through the cord and do as mentioned already and make sure your 120v socket has adequate voltage. You could use the welder and have a DMM plugged into the other socket on the same outlet and have another person watch the voltage on the meter to see what it does when you are welding.

Regarding post flow and gas. What kind of gas are you using? Have you tried lowering the gas psi at the regulator? You should not have to put the psi any higher than 30 or the beginning of the green area and lower psi is good as well.

However it looks like you are experiencing limited or poor gas coverage. You also want to make sure the mig gun is plugged into the machine all the way and seated firmly into the socket. You should not have to crank down on the locking thumb screw to secure the gun to the machine. Spin it until the thumb screw stops and try to pull the gun out of the machine. If it moves outward at all you do not have it seated all the way into the gun socket. Last thing to look at is the two O-Rings on the mig gun end where it plugs into the machine. If those are damaged or missing you are not going to get adequate gas coverage which is what I suspect one of those three things may be happening. I had issues with gas coverage when I got my Rebel until I figured out what was going on.

One of the best upgrades you can make to this maching is the mig gun. I suggest getting a 15’ spraymaster 250 with medium duty Velocity tips when you are ready to do some 1/4” welding for long periods of time. The duty cycle on the fusion 180 is not all that great for heavy duty welding. I use the 180 gun for very light duty .023 -.030 wire
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 11-11-2018 at 01:18 PM.
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Thermal Dynamics 60i
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A

Oops I see you are using C25 so ignore that question. The rest of my post should be helpful. You won’t know if you are getting voltage drop at the machine through an extension cord by measuring the voltage at the socket but you will see if there is any load issues in that circuit.

Did you give up on welding and this machine or just busy with other things at the moment?
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Thermal Dynamics 60i
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A

N2 Welding, thanks for the feedback, good news porosity and crater problem solved. As you suggested I checked the gun connection to the machine and it wasn't fully seated on the last o-ring so gas wasn't getting through to the gun. I changed the end on my 240v outlet and used that and a 120 v circuit and didn't have a low voltage error. Not sure if it had anything to do with the gun. I will plug it back into the previous circuit to see if the error can be regenerated, hopefully not. I wasn't using an extension cord. However I would like to use one for 240v. Any recommended wire size and max length of cord for 240v extension cord?

Regarding the gas I am using c25, what is recommended for postflow duration on the gas? Do you go with the default or change the setting. I think the default is 0.1s, doesn't seem very long.

Thanks for the recommendation on the mig gun and tips I will look into it. Where's a good place to pick one up the gun and tips?

Any other upgrades you would recommend?

I look for deals on ebay for the guns. Be patient they come up every now and then. Good to see the issue with poor quality bead is resolved. It’s always good to hear if the problem is solved or not because others can bennefit from this information as well. Believe it or not I am certain this happens a lot. I am not an electrician guru so I won’t pretend to know the best guage wire as an extention cord but by my best guess I would presume you can get by with 8AWG for 50’ but once again others here have more experience in that area than me.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 11-12-2018 at 12:56 PM.
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Thermal Dynamics 60i
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A

[QUOTE=N2 Welding;8658440]I look for deals on ebay for the guns. Be patient they come up every now and then.

Whats a good price for a 250 spraymaster gun?
    Do you set your postflow or use the default setting?

[QUOTE=ronstruc;8658443]
    Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    I look for deals on ebay for the guns. Be patient they come up every now and then.

Whats a good price for a 250 spraymaster gun?
    Do you set your postflow or use the default setting?
    I never messed with post flow as far as I can remember for mig. I have only adjusted it for tig. I got two sepparate guns for around $125 each. One of them came with a ton of consumables, necks, nozzles, liner etc. ebay is good for gun parts like nozzles, tips, necks etc.

Actually my last 15’ spraymaster gun was a spraymaster 350 a bit heavier duty than the 250. You can get a fusion 250 gun same as spraymaster with a different neck and lighter velocity/fusion tips. All you would have to do is change the neck to the medium duty velocity for the better consumables.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 11-12-2018 at 01:06 PM.
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Thermal Dynamics 60i
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A

Keep in mind the spraymaster with medium velocity consumables is just my preference. There are many other options available from other brand names.
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Thermal Dynamics 60i
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A

Thanks again for the info. I'm just excited that I'm able to put down some beads now that look good.

Quote Originally Posted by ronstruc View Post
    My machine is dual voltage, when we built our house I had a 240v outlet put in the garage, however I recently discovered its only #10 wire so its limited to 30 amp. After I got the welder and realized I was limited to only 30 amps I am hoping it will give me enough amps. I need to do a little more research on that, any input on amps required for an MP machine would be greatly appreaciated. So for now I am using it on a 120v 20 amp circuit
    Your owners manual answers your power question...

Supply voltage 230 V AC
    Input current at maximum output 30 Amps
    Maximum recommended fuse* or circuit breaker rating *Time delay fuse UL class RK5, refer to UL 248, 30 Amps
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    Your owners manual answers your power question...

Supply voltage 230 V AC
    Input current at maximum output 30 Amps
    Maximum recommended fuse* or circuit breaker rating *Time delay fuse UL class RK5, refer to UL 248, 30 Amps
    I did some reading in the OM since my initial post and read that. I want to run an extension cord. Do you know wire size and max run? I'm thinking 8 AWG. 50 ft. If I am reading the PM correctly it's says max extension cord 50 ft. Min wire size 12 AWG. That seems too small to me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk