Ranger 305G Downhill Pipe Mode
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

I bought a 305G earlier this year and typically use it with my Miller 8VS feeder with flux core. Sometimes I weld 7018 with it. No complaints....great machine. I bought it through Home Depot through what I believe was a pricing error on their website. I paid $4500 for it and just days after I ordered it the price went up $800. I was originally going to get a Miller Bobcat 250, but for the same price I got a much better machine, so no complaints there.

My question is about downhill pipe mode. I'm not a pipe welder, so I've never used it. For standard 6010/6011 "farm" welding, should I be using downhill pipe mode or just regular stick mode with the arc force turned all the way up?
    Lincoln Ranger 305g
    Miller X-Treme 8VS Suitcase Feeder
    Lincoln Powermig 210 MP
    Lincoln AC225 Tombstone
    Everlast Powerarc 200ST
    A pile of grinders.

Re: Ranger 305G Downhill Pipe Mode

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_D View Post
    I bought a 305G earlier this year and typically use it with my Miller 8VS feeder with flux core. Sometimes I weld 7018 with it. No complaints....great machine. I bought it through Home Depot through what I believe was a pricing error on their website. I paid $4500 for it and just days after I ordered it the price went up $800. I was originally going to get a Miller Bobcat 250, but for the same price I got a much better machine, so no complaints there.

My question is about downhill pipe mode. I'm not a pipe welder, so I've never used it. For standard 6010/6011 "farm" welding, should I be using downhill pipe mode or just regular stick mode with the arc force turned all the way up?
    I am not a pipe welder but IMHO it means what it says. Only use that position for down hill pipe welding. This type of welding is mostly done by pipe liners and to my knowledge not much of anywhere else. I have worked around and with many pipe fitters/welders that have never welded pipe down hill. Most pipe welders weld up hill. Down hill pipe welding is faster but also harder to control and is usually only done by those that do it every day and are proficient at it and the pipe in question has to be spected to be welded that way by the engineers and performed by those that have passed that spec to be certified for that individual job. I presume that mode has arc characteristics that make it better for that type of welding. It does not hurt to play around on that mode and you might find certain welds easier to do using it . I am sure good welds can be made in that mode for other things as long as you know what you are doing.
    Last edited by thegary; 11-10-2018 at 02:17 PM.

I would use the 6010/6011 on pipe mode due to the characteristics of those rods are downhill welding. But like the previous fella said if you want to see what the difference is on other settings!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1968-'70 Lincoln SA 200 code 6633
    Millermatic 200 serial#JE834063

A lot of cross country pipe is welded down hill. A lot of in plant pressure pipe is welded up hill. I know a guy who welds gas pipe for the local gas company. It’s mostly done downhill. I’ll even run 7018 on occasion down hill to close a gap or on thin material.

Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720

I’ve run mine on both with 6011/10. You have more control with arc length in pipe mode in my opinion. I always use it, even with 7018 rods. Welds similar to my old shorthood.

Use whichever setting you like the way it welds.

Quote Originally Posted by snoeproe View Post
    A lot of cross country pipe is welded down hill.

some of the downhill roots w/ 6010 are done dcen, also.