SA 200 no spark
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: SA 200 no spark

SA 200 no spark

Hey guys i picked up another SA 200 the other day i believe its a 64. Guy i bought it from got it from his uncle when he passed but couldnt tell me much more besides it was sitting for a few years. After bringing it home i got a new battery and some cables and went to cranking after no luck i started looking into the magneto. Doesnt seem to be getting any spark what so ever. I went down to napa and bought a new condenser and points but only changed the condenser out. Still no luck. I took the cap off and grounded the coil against the housing with a screw driver as i cranked it and had no spark. Is this a sign of a bad coil? Also after replacing the cables and cleaning most of the connections around the starter and putting a fresh battery the motor will turn over but only about 4 or 5 revolutions and then it sounds like a motor with a dead battery. Battery is only 2 days old and i have a battery charger on it when trying to start it. Could this be a starter issue? or possible stuck valves? My plan is to completely go through and replace everything but i want to make sure it runs and welds before hand. I am pretty new to magnetos but have a good mechanical background any input is appreciated

Re: SA 200 no spark

Why didn't you change the points. If it has been sitting for several years my guess is the points have crusted over and not making contact. At the very least you should clean the old points with some 220 or 320 grit sand paper and see if you get fire.

The cranking issue may just be due to a dirty starter armature commutator, worn brushes or dried up lube in the end bushings. Sounds as though it's pulling too many amps OR your new battery's CCA rating is too low for the unit.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

BEST first step on a sitting machine has always been checking for mouse nests.
    Might save you from converting the welder end to scrap when it starts.

I didn't have a feeler gauge handy at the time. I changed the condenser and tried getting spark out of the coil which i could not. At that point i figured if the coil isn't sparking it was bad but maybe my understanding of magneto's is off. The battery is 585 CCA which i used in my last machine with no issue. I will take the starter apart and check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil5 View Post
    BEST first step on a sitting machine has always been checking for mouse nests.
    Might save you from converting the welder end to scrap when it starts.
    Thanks already been done

Quote Originally Posted by Texfan91 View Post
    I didn't have a feeler gauge handy at the time.
    Understood. Eyeball it if needed unless you're just not sure about what .015" looks like.

I changed the condenser and tried getting spark out of the coil which i could not. At that point i figured if the coil isn't sparking it was bad but maybe my understanding of magneto's is off.
    The points need to be making contact when closed and if not due to crusting then the armature/coil function "thinks" the points are open all the time and nothing will happen.

The battery is 585 CCA which i used in my last machine with no issue. I will take the starter apart and check it out.
    That's sufficient. I've had starters with dirt armature commutators and bone dry end bushings act as you've described. Worth a look.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Probably not the issue, but since you mentioned that you have already changed out the condenser I wanted to let you know that I have purchased a brand new condenser before that was bad from the start. If you don't have a feeler gauge for the points a matchbook cover will work. Also new set of plug wires including the coil wire might be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by duaneb55 View Post
    Understood. Eyeball it if needed unless you're just not sure about what .015" looks like.
    I will tomorrow i have a feeler gauge now.

The points need to be making contact when closed and if not due to crusting then the armature/coil function "thinks" the points are open all the time and nothing will happen.
    Once i change the new points out if i am still getting no spark whats my next step to troubleshoot. Should i order a coil?

That's sufficient. I've had starters with dirt armature commutators and bone dry end bushings act as you've described. Worth a look.
    If this is the case are they salvageable with cleaning and greasing or is it time to order a new one? Really appreciate the help thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by gnewby View Post
    Probably not the issue, but since you mentioned that you have already changed out the condenser I wanted to let you know that I have purchased a brand new condenser before that was bad from the start. If you don't have a feeler gauge for the points a matchbook cover will work. Also new set of plug wires including the coil wire might be a good idea.
    I have a feeler gauge now so no worries. I had purchased new plugs and wires but once i realized i wasn't getting any spark out of the magneto i didnt get to changing the wires out. Plan for tomorrow is change the points, look into the starter, make up the new spark plug wires, troubleshoot the mag, and hope to get it running. thanks again

A cheap ohm's meter can be very helpful when trouble shooting. Before condemning the coil you need to make sure you are getting voltage to the coil and as Duane said you need to make sure your points are gaped properly and opening and closing. You could use the ohm's meter to check for voltage to the coil, and checking from lead connection to lead connection at it would tell you if the points are opening and closing, also checking voltage at your points, and checking ohms on your coil wire.

I would suggest on your starter to take it off of the engine and take it to most any auto parts store that can test it. It sounds to me as it is dragging and pulling too much juice. They might be able to sell you a kit for the starter if needed or a rebuilt starter.

Watch this video on working on a magneto:

Learned this the hard way: for Magneto you will need non-resistor sparkplugs like champion D-16 and metal core sparkplug wires. The local auto parts store guy will sub resistor type sparkplugs and fiber core wires.
    Last edited by guajilloweld03; 11-12-2018 at 12:05 PM.

That guy don't look like Dr Duane.
    Dr Duane would never wipe his hands on his pants either.

Other than that it's a handy video

Quote Originally Posted by gnewby View Post
    Before condemning the coil you need to make sure you are getting voltage to the coil . . .

You could use the ohm's meter to check for voltage to the coil, and checking from lead connection to lead connection at it would tell you if the points are opening and closing, also checking voltage at your points, and checking ohms on your coil wire.
    CAREFUL!! Do NOT apply voltage to a mag coil. A magneto generates it's own voltage and the stud on the side of the mag is grounded to kill the engine. Apply voltage to this "kill" stud and you'll be buying a new $50+ coil likely frying the points and condenser in the process.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

CAREFUL!! Do NOT apply voltage to a mag coil. A magneto generates it's own voltage and the stud on the side of the mag is grounded to kill the engine. Apply voltage to this "kill" stud and you'll be buying a new $50+ coil likely frying the points and condenser in the process.
    Whoops sorry about what I said earlier, old age syndrome must have kicked in and I was thinking of a distributor when I mentioned earlier about checking for voltage at the coil, please disregard what I mentioned.

That guy don't look like Dr Duane.
    Dr Duane would never wipe his hands on his pants either.
    Absolutely not. I use the belly part of my shirt 'cause it's closer.

Other than that it's a handy video
    A good video but a couple things:
    1) 1-2 wraps of the impulse spring per F-M
    2) Prevent static electricity? The felt is hold the cam lube.
    3) Point gap is critical to the armature-to-magnet timing and has a direct effect on spark intensity. Far more important than the final position of the mag once installed and properly timed to the engine.
    4) Where's the anti-seize on the coil set screws so the next poor soul can get them out 20 years from now? Might be me!

OK, four things.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

So i quick update i went ahead and set the points to .015 and still had no spark atleast that i could see. I checked continuity on the coil wire to the copper pin in the front on the coil and had no continuity. Is it possible i have spark to the points and just cant see it or will the spark be big enough its obvious? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I trust you made sure the points block was at the peak of the armature cam and not at the base. If at the base, the points will never close as they need to the mag won't spark (if all else is good).

If working correctly you will definitely be able to see the spark. This was done with the impulse coupler pawl stop pin removed to allow free spinning of the unit.

MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Duane, what's your experience on the need to replace magnets in the FM units due to loss of magnetism?