Angle Grinder Short out help - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Angle Grinder Short out help

Don't you have to solder those new batteries together using some kind of conductor between batteries. I thought about buying some new cells and trying them out but the labor involved for the length of time those batteries last kind of made me not like that idea so much.

How much would a pack of 18v cells cost out of curiosity
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Thermal Dynamics 60i
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A

Thanks guys.
    I'm going to take it apart again at school, the guy down the hall is a genius. If he can not fix I will trash it. The cord was bad because a big chunk of steel feel of the bandsaw and landed on the cord cut it in two. I was in a hurry so I used wiring nuts and tape and ran it that way for months. The tape peeled back the wires touched, sparked and died. Learned a lesson fix it properly.
    Dave Reber
    Wadsworth Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Don't you have to solder those new batteries together using some kind of conductor between batteries. I thought about buying some new cells and trying them out but the labor involved for the length of time those batteries last kind of made me not like that idea so much.

How much would a pack of 18v cells cost out of curiosity

I've made and fixed lots of different packs started many years ago with good ole sanyo nicad's from potelco pulls.

there are lots of different (imported) spot welders out there like this -->https://www.ebay.com/itm/110V-Handhe...Laup:rk:2:pf:0

some better... some worse... just need the right electrodes or DIY it and you're in business

And remember not all cells are created equal, usually you get what you pay for but if you keep a sharp eye out there are always good deals to be had

Quote Originally Posted by Reebs View Post
    Thanks guys.
    I'm going to take it apart again at school, the guy down the hall is a genius. If he can not fix I will trash it. The cord was bad because a big chunk of steel feel of the bandsaw and landed on the cord cut it in two. I was in a hurry so I used wiring nuts and tape and ran it that way for months. The tape peeled back the wires touched, sparked and died. Learned a lesson fix it properly.
    So now Paul Harvey tells the rest of the story!!
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"

Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    There is this non brushless design like not jims for $64 on ebay. https://www.ebay.com/p/DEWALT-Dcg412...720dd4fff225ad
    That's not the brushless motor one. (Non-brushless is a double negative, do you mean brushed?) The brushless one doesn't have the handle guard loop https://www.dewalt.com/products/powe...-brake/dcg413b
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; ESAB 875 plasma;Evo 355. OA

Yes brushed is what I meant. Looked at home depot today and same tool w/o bat was listed at $129.

Looking at what they are stocking up on for Black Friday. They have a lot of Huskey Tool Boxes, two Dewalt tool boxes and no Milwauke tool boxes. I am refering to the big roll away tool chests.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 11-12-2018 at 11:41 PM.
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Thermal Dynamics 60i
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A

Fixed. The cord was bad right at the grinder. Weird shorted out in on spot and killed in in another?
    Dave Reber
    Wadsworth Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by Reebs View Post
    Fixed. The cord was bad right at the grinder. Weird shorted out in on spot and killed in in another?
    very common place for cords to fail on most electrical gear. it was probably broken for quite some time, but just touching enough to work. hitting the cable would have pulled the strands of wire and opened up the gap.

Yep... often caused by wrapping the cords around the tool too tight... pulls them out of the base and ultimately the switch...
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

After giving the whole cord a good look there are multiple bad spots, Time for new cord.
    Dave Reber
    Wadsworth Ohio