question on modifying cheap foot control to work with Thermal Arc Ultima 150
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

question on modifying cheap foot control to work with Thermal Arc Ultima 150

Hi folks,

now that i have tested / welded a bit with the (new to me) Ultima 150 Plasma arc welder, I would like to add a foot pedal. The proper TA pedal is $600+ and a great quality SSC pedal for this unit is $220US plus shipping so around $280 to me- both would be pinned correctly and ready to go.
    But, i can get a cheap one on Ebay for about $40 - I am tempted to try. I know which pins on the remote, and internal TB1 connector I need to control the Arc on and Off and below has the rest of the pinout I need for remote amperage control. I can cut off the cheap 2 and 3 pin connectors and hardwire to the TB1 or I can buy a miller style 14 ping plug -

my main question / concern is the compatibity of the remote current control - can anyone tell me if this should work or could I cause damage, even if wired to the correct pins?

It looks like 3 pins are needed for remote current control?

specs for cheap pedal:
    Specifications
    Color: Black
    Material: Metal
    Aviation plug: 2+3 core
    Resistance: 10K
    Input voltage: 380V
    Size: 25 x 11.5cm
    Suitable For: super 200p, wse200 and TIG 200P AC/DC,
    315P TIG-315P AC/DC and other tig welding machine

Features
    - Three-pin plug, remote control port connected to the machine, adjust the current
    - Two-pin plug, replace the gun switch line
    - The bottom of the rubber pad, effective insulation, more firmly on the ground
    - Easy to install, easy to use

1 x foot control pedal

ebay listing for cheap pedal:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-3-Pin-TIG...:pf:0#shpCntId

Any advice would be appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: question on modifying cheap foot control to work with Thermal Arc Ultima 150

Quote Originally Posted by Northeaster View Post
    Hi folks,

now that i have tested / welded a bit with the (new to me) Ultima 150 Plasma arc welder, I would like to add a foot pedal. The proper TA pedal is $600+ and a great quality SSC pedal for this unit is $220US plus shipping so around $280 to me- both would be pinned correctly and ready to go.
    But, i can get a cheap one on Ebay for about $40 - I am tempted to try. I know which pins on the remote, and internal TB1 connector I need to control the Arc on and Off and below has the rest of the pinout I need for remote amperage control. I can cut off the cheap 2 and 3 pin connectors and hardwire to the TB1 or I can buy a miller style 14 ping plug -

my main question / concern is the compatibity of the remote current control - can anyone tell me if this should work or could I cause damage, even if wired to the correct pins?

It looks like 3 pins are needed for remote current control?

specs for cheap pedal:
    Specifications
    Color: Black
    Material: Metal
    Aviation plug: 2+3 core
    Resistance: 10K
    Input voltage: 380V
    Size: 25 x 11.5cm
    Suitable For: super 200p, wse200 and TIG 200P AC/DC,
    315P TIG-315P AC/DC and other tig welding machine

Features
    - Three-pin plug, remote control port connected to the machine, adjust the current
    - Two-pin plug, replace the gun switch line
    - The bottom of the rubber pad, effective insulation, more firmly on the ground
    - Easy to install, easy to use

1 x foot control pedal

ebay listing for cheap pedal:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-3-Pin-TIG...:pf:0#shpCntId

Any advice would be appreciated!
    If you're willing to spend a little bit more (well, quite a bit, but not $200+), here is the pedal I bought.
    https://www.amazon.com/Firepower-144.../dp/B01G8CARG0
    Fabricator 252i
    FP120
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor torches

Re: question on modifying cheap foot control to work with Thermal Arc Ultima 150

shoot - just seeing your post now - i ended up ordering the cheap one a day ago.. we will see how it works if i get it wired right..
    Miller XMT 304 CC/CV Power source
    Miller Optima Pulsing pendant
    Miller XR feeder and XR15 Push-pull gun
    Miller XR feeder and XR30 Push-pull gun
    Miller S62 feeder
    TD Pak master 100 plasma cutter
    TA Ultima 150 Plasma Arc Welder

Hi Folks,

Cheap foot pedal finally arrived. I know to connect the two lead from the foot pedal contacts to the RC3 weld arc on and rc4 weld arc return (from above post #1). But, I could use some help in which of the 3 wires from the potentiometer go to which of the other connections from the diagram in post #1. I assume they connect to RC19, 20 and 21 but am not certain nor do I know which one is which on potentiometer (no wiring diagram/ labels with it and google didn't give any wiring diagram hits) - please see pics below.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Northeaster; 12-25-2018 at 04:41 PM.