powertig 350 ext reviews
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

powertig 350 ext reviews

was interested in the powertig 350ext but find preciously little info or reviews on it.
    i realize it's probably a 325 architecture but still.

south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter

Re: powertig 350 ext reviews

No, it's heavier internals. We've had very few issues with them. Between the two, the 350EXT gets my vote, unless you need maximum portability.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

I had reviewed mine, but that was lost with a site crash here a while ago. I love mine. little over a year of moderate use, I've pushed about 1000 cu/ft of argon through it as a measure of use. I've only used it for TIG. Made about $25K in product with it in that time on stainless, aluminum, and mild steel projects. I've used it up to 275 amps, but never found need for much more than 240 for what I usually work on. Paid for itself long ago. I've used most of the wave forms and features at this point, they all work as advertised and expected. Not a single trouble with it. Only thing I could say that I don't like is the on/off switch doesn't feel very high quality, it sometimes needs to be pushed hard to the off off position to turn it back on. It works like a circuit breaker, it has a middle "trip" position, where you have to go from trip to off before you can turn it back on. It's also in the back, which I don't like. I think it would be a better product if it had the breaker for protection, and a seperate on/off switch on the front.

It's heavy, so count on making or using a cart.

I got this over the 325 because I'd always be in a shop environment where a cart was fine, and I wanted the headroom and duty cycle. I don't like running things beyond 80% capacity as a rule, and I knew there would be days where I wanted in the 300 Amp range without worry about the equipment.

Other things I think would be nice to change would be the torches that come with it. It comes with an 18 water cooled and 26 air cooled torch set. I think a watercooled 20 option to replace the air 26 would be better, it's smaller than the 26 and takes more amps. I just bought an extra everlast water cooled 20 after I got my welder. With the quick change fittings on the cooler, I can swap torches in seconds. I keep both setup on the cart at all times. The 18 is pretty heavy duty, doesn't even get warm when I run 240 amps. The 325 comes with smaller torches than the 350.
    Last edited by Chad86tsi; 11-26-2018 at 02:34 PM.
    Everlast 350 EXT - Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 - Rogue Fabrication M600 xHD tube bender
    Milwaukee 4208 Mag Drill - Shopmaster Eldorado Combo mill/lathe machine with DRO.

The 20 is rated for 250 amps. The 18 is for up to 350 amps.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Quote Originally Posted by lugweld View Post
    The 20 is rated for 250 amps. The 18 is for up to 350 amps.
    the 20 is smaller than the 26, and rated for more amps. Sending the machine with the larger and less capable 26 is a waste if I have to buy a 3rd torch to get a small form torch head. When will I ever use the 26? probably never. A 20 with a gas lens is still smaller than a 26 with a standard cup. A 20 coupled with a flat back-cap can also get to places many torches can't, and there is less user strain with the light small 20 head and flexible small cables. When doing fine complicated work this matters. I use the 20 and the 18 about equally, they both have their place in my work, the 26 will just sit in a box. I know I'm not alone in this.

Just a suggestion, others may find use for the 26 that comes with it.
    Everlast 350 EXT - Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 - Rogue Fabrication M600 xHD tube bender
    Milwaukee 4208 Mag Drill - Shopmaster Eldorado Combo mill/lathe machine with DRO.

I've been doing this for 10 years now with Everlast and we've gone through this many different times. I'll try to address the concern point by point.

1) Keep in mind we offer the torches as complimentary to get them started. A customer can still buy the unit and a couple of preferred torches that they want and come out way better than any other brand. Many brands offer no torch package as standard on most models as it is.

2) There is no typical customer. So we try to include a torch package that meets the demands of MOST customers, based off our experience over the last almost 15 years now.

3) In view of number 2, your needs may not be everyone's needs. We have many customers who buy equipment in stages. In fact a good many do exactly that. A 350EXT has enough power to heat up an 18 torch, and overheat a 20. But a significant number of customers wait to purchase a water cooler, due to budget or other concerns. So, if they don't have a water cooler, then they still need to be able (and want to) weld. This is a primary reason we include a 26. A 26 torch is still around, because there is a huge need for it. YOU may not like it, but it does the job and handles a good bit of welding power, enough for the average guy to get by and weld up to 200A, and even a little beyond for spurts. IF it was as useless as you seem to think, it would have been retired years ago by the industry.

4) The unit is large, but still can be carried and moved to where it is needed, a job site or some place temporary where it will be used. But to throw the water cooler in the cab of the truck is not going to fly at all. Then once again, you need an air cooled torch, and one that can handle a wide range of things. No other torch can really fill that bill. Maybe a 17, but the limit on amps far outweighs, the gain of the smaller handle. A guy neediing a 9, has the wrong unit for his needs.

5) A 20 has a limit of 250 amps on paper. While that is a good torch, it does not meet the guy's need who is needing the welder for the 350 amps it offers. So again, we come up short, if a person is buying in stages, or buying the unit to use it to it's max output. While it may suit you, it doesn't meet the need of the guys who need to go full bore and bought the heavier unit. And it won't meet the guy who buys as they can afford it.

6) You may not be alone in your thoughts. That is true, but I believe it is indeed in the minority, based off of years doing this and talking with customers, and using the product myself. Your desire is valid, but does not line up with the majority of our experience overall and we try to offer a product that appeals to the widest part of our customer base.
    Last edited by lugweld; 12-05-2018 at 05:39 PM.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Using that rationale, a 17 seems a better choice over the 26. I just see the 26 as an odd choice. If you don't want to carry a cooler, you probably don't want the +80# machine either. Those that run air cooled in the field are probably better off with a 200 or 250 amp machine as half the weight and half the cost.

I get the idea and I clearly know I'm not a "typical user", but that is because there is no such thing.

Feedback is good, even if it's not universally applicable.

The 17 is limited to 150 amps. Too small
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Quote Originally Posted by lugweld View Post
    The 17 is limited to 150 amps. Too small
    That's where the 18 (and cooler) comes in to play.

I guess you don't see my point then, if you need more than 150 amps, you probably need more than 200 (and a cooler). The difference between 150 and 200 amps can do in the field isn't huge. You can do a lot with 150 in DC, and having 50 more amps does not open a lot of new capacity, it's only a 25% difference. Setup and technique can account for some of that, and let's be honest here, ratings can be pushed if really needed as long as you mind duty cycles. I ran my Miller past 150 all the time on my syncrowave 180SD. If in AC, I don't think you should be running air cooled in the first place in that power range.

I get it, you want to sell a big machine with big torches. It makes sense on paper, but leaves out some the finesse that this machine does very well with: small amps on thin delicate materials, by not having a smaller form factor torch set. Like selling a hammer and dolly set set for sheet metal repairman that that has a 24 and 36 ounce sledge hammers in it, but nothing smaller. It ends up not being a very versatile setup.

Keep selling the 26 with it, it's clear my input will change no minds or impact any decisions.

No, this won't have much effect on what we include, because we do listen to what our customers want, and the majority has to win. If you don't have the $ for the cooler, then you want the machine to handle what it can handle. And if you need to take it somewhere, then you can handle most things with the 26. A good welder can make a fine, intricate weld with the 26. It wasn't the shoes that made Michael Jordan. The 26 has plenty of flexibility for most people. I've used it plenty of times to weld 20 amps.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

It's not the flexibility, it's the bulk. I can't get to certain welds I do on a regular basis with a 26, that a 17 can kind of do, and a 20 does very easily. I build intake and exhaust manifolds, there are many times the size and length of the head just won't allow proper access, angle, and gas flow and a small body makes all the difference. welding inside a collector with a 26 vs a 20: no contest. A 17 was my suggestion for a compromise. I've run the 18 at 10 amps, it works great. What I'm talking about is range of access/functionality, not amps.