Low voltage output on WeldanPower 225
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Low voltage output on WeldanPower 225

I started my weldanpower 225 (circa 1987 manuf) after being down for quite a while and checked the power output at the plugs. They read about 51 volts on the 125v plugs and 110 volts on the 230 volt plugs. The machine was at high idle and the dial was set at 10. I pulled the cover and made sure the slip rings and brushes were in place, and they were. I have zero experience in trouble-shooting welder/generator sets. I would appreciate any help on how to track down the 1/2 voltage output problem. I have the operating manual and wiring diagrams, but no real knowledge. Is there anything out there on trouble-shooting procedures? Thanks

Re: Low voltage output on WeldanPower 225

Well, at least it's making some power. Is it getting up to full RPM? I would start looking at the flashing diode and the connections. What voltage are you getting at the brush holders?

Thanks for the reply. The voltage between the brush holders is 8.3v. I believe that is too low, according to my manual. I also noticed that one of the slip rings is worn in a smooth pattern across the ring, while the other is more streaky. Would one brush not making full contact make that much difference? The fuse is good. How do you check the flashing diode? Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by cepwp View Post
    Thanks for the reply. The voltage between the brush holders is 8.3v. I believe that is too low, according to my manual. I also noticed that one of the slip rings is worn in a smooth pattern across the ring, while the other is more streaky. Would one brush not making full contact make that much difference? The fuse is good. How do you check the flashing diode? Thanks for your help.
    There's people here that know way more than me about W&P's. Mine was not putting out full voltage because the RPM's were too low. This doesn't sound like that's your case. 8.3 is too low. Do a search here on checking the diode. I believe the motor itself is what generates that voltage. Might be something to do with it's alternator. Check the voltage going into the diode. I'm sure someone here can help you out.