.035 Dual Shield Flux Core Bird Nest City
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

.035 Dual Shield Flux Core Bird Nest City

I have ran .035 dual shield flux core in my shop mig with no problems. Actually love the stuff. However, today I tried running it in my 8VS suitcase feeder hooked to my Ranger 305G engine drive. When it runs it runs great (first time trying it with straight CO2 as well). However I had A LOT of birdnesting problems with the 8VS. I tried everything....loosened the drive rollers to the point of slippage. It still birdnested from time to time. Tried a different contact tip. I even tried a .045 tip because I thought maybe my .035 tip was creating too much resistance to feed. The .045 tip seemed to help a little, but it still birdnested enough that I wanted to pull my hair out. I loosened to spool tension to practically nothing. The 8VS has a fairly new liner (.035-.045) and I double checked it for kinks. No other wires have had any problems in this liner and I even ran some .035 solid wire after this and it ran fine, so I think I can eliminate a liner issue. For the dual shield flux core I used .035 knurled rollers.

My shop mig has a 10ft gun. My 8VS has a 15ft gun. I'm thinking that the .035 dual shield wire is simply too soft to push through a 15ft gun. Has anyone else experience feeding problems with .035 dual shield wire? I'm going to pick up a roll of .045 tomorrow in hopes of fixing this problem. I run a lot of .045 self shielded wire in my 8VS and have never had a problem with it. Any pointers would be appreciated.
    Lincoln Ranger 305g
    Miller X-Treme 8VS Suitcase Feeder
    Lincoln Powermig 210 MP
    Lincoln AC225 Tombstone
    Everlast Powerarc 200ST
    A pile of grinders.

Re: .035 Dual Shield Flux Core Bird Nest City

Go get a new liner

Did you set the drive roll tension like you're supposed to?

Sounds like a liner issue, you can't see kinks in the liner. Liners are cheap

dual shield aint mig, its fcaw. i know nothing about miller suitcase, but linconm ln25 has guides w/ split rollers. bolt comes loose on knurled rollers ( makes gap b't rollers), or plastic insert in guides come loose, and cause this, besides the forementioned liner- kinks,dirty etc. i get same problems u do, start hair pulling/swearing, but when i dissasemble everything thats physical/mechanical, it become obvious. the only .o35 dual shield i ever ran was 71m, what u got? also my liners have become loose from kinking and get to far inset in the *** end, and cause similar u desribe ( too much unsupported travel dist.). the problem is physical in your face, ur just missing it i think, it happens 2 me 2
    Last edited by 123weld; 11-29-2018 at 12:04 AM.

Don't have experience with .035" wire but keep in mind that all dual shield wires are not the same. Even if it's E71T-1 some wires seems to be a lot softer than others.

We use Kobelco wire and it feels as hard as solid wire and can be run with standard v-rolls. I'm sure there are others too, ESAB I think are hard as well.
    Last edited by Pete.S.; 12-01-2018 at 11:05 PM.

great advice so far...

just to add, while whip length shouldn't be the problem, a shorter, or stiffer whip sure can help when the other condition are less than perfect... one of my ln25's has a 15' light duty tweco weld skills whip and it can easily give me feed problems with 045 ds. my others wire feeders have really heavy duty 12' whips that wont easily coil less than 2' diamter, and i often feed 5000 aluminum wire through with no problem
    General Contractor
    Commercial Industrial & Custom Residential
    Specializing in all things Metal

get a new liner and do not use an oversize liner . if there is too much room in the liner the wire will arc to the liner and from then on it will cause a problem. I just had this happen to my flux core only gun. I did not know that .068 is the smallest recommended wire in that gun. I had run 3 30lb spools of .045 through it but now I can't run 10ft of wire without a birds nest. My gun does not have replacable liners so I may have wrecked the gun. I have not look into it in depth yet.

Are you running a toothed drive roll with very little pressure?

Have you ever used wire lube on the wire to lube the liner? That stuff gums up and drags heavy on the wire.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200withspoolgun,MKCobra Mig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig3ea.