How should I run 220 to my shop? - Page 4
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: How should I run 220 to my shop?

With a load it will show up... more load more drop

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Merrell View Post
    I don't really know if this means anything, but I got a reading of 240 volts at the receptacle. Does that mean there is no loss or does the loss show up when there is a load?
    Voltage drop is proportional to the load, with no load there will be little to none.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    With a load it will show up... more load more drop
    Thanks for the answer, that's good to know.
    Hobart Handler 190
    Hypertherm Powermax 45XP
    Welder12 on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMd...BGgVPbze3Kic3w

Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    I unplug my welders when not in use. Partly so I can roll them out of the way but also as part of my end of day clean up and shut down procedures.
    I also turn off the breaker on my hard wired 60 gallon shop compressor as part of that routine. Then it is time to sweep and blow down the shop.
    A couple of minutes of trying to get in good habits now help me later.
    Keith is young so helping him develop good habits now will help him when he enters the work force. I would rather have an employee that spends a few minutes at the end of the shift doing clean up than dropping tools and walking out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    When I was in shops it was always customary to take the last 10 min of the day, clean up your machines, coil up leads and cords, tools away, sweep. Sometimes a few people would be working over late or on a rush job so they keep working but Friday's were always last half hour MANDATORY SHOP CLEANUP everyone STOPS everything and cleans up the whole place not just your work area. Always extra time was there for screwing around, blowing off steam, enjoying looking back at all the work you accomplished thst week. Whole shop, tool crib, saw stations cleaned, blades checked, material racks organized, empty pallets stacked, mills and lathes cleaned, oiled, scrap bins emptied into the hoppers, etc.

Makes life much easier and SAFER when there's guys working on different projects and you come in Monday morning and everything is where it belongs, clean, no trip hazards...

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk
    Ryan

Miller Multimatic 200 tig/spool gun/wireless remote
    Millermatic 350P, Bernard/XR Python guns
    Miller Dynasty 350, Coolmate 3.5 & wireless remote
    CK WF1 TIG wire feeder
    Miller Spectrum 375 Xtreme
    Optrel e684
    Miller Digital Elite
    Miller Weld-Mask

K x I x L x 2 / Ed = Circular mil area

K is resistance measured in ohms per mil foot. A .001" diameter section of wire a foot long has this resistance. Resistance of copper is 10.4 Resistance of aluminum is 17

I is amps. Include all possible load.

L is length in feet. Conductor length, not distance.

2 is because electrons flow round trip, to and from.

Ed is acceptable loss of voltage. If you are going for percentage it's 2.4 volts per 100th of 240V, (3% is 7.2 Volts).

CMA is in a chart in the code book until you get to MCM sizes, then 250MCM is 250000 circular mils in area.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by xryan View Post
    When I was in shops it was always customary to take the last 10 min of the day, clean up your machines, coil up leads and cords, tools away, sweep. Sometimes a few people would be working over late or on a rush job so they keep working but Friday's were always last half hour MANDATORY SHOP CLEANUP everyone STOPS everything and cleans up the whole place not just your work area. Always extra time was there for screwing around, blowing off steam, enjoying looking back at all the work you accomplished thst week. Whole shop, tool crib, saw stations cleaned, blades checked, material racks organized, empty pallets stacked, mills and lathes cleaned, oiled, scrap bins emptied into the hoppers, etc.

Makes life much easier and SAFER when there's guys working on different projects and you come in Monday morning and everything is where it belongs, clean, no trip hazards...

This sounds like a good place to work.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, L-tec, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Since it is a dedicated outlet feeding the machine that is designed for a 230 volt input and it only draws a mere 20.5 amps. I think he will be fine. He could have fed it with #10's and been fine. Lol.

Inverter type even more tolerant as many will accept any voltage from either 120-240 or some even 208-575 volt input without any wiring changes.

Inverters are nice. Mine works from 200 to 600 volts.

There has been a lot of discussion about voltage drop. Not every reader has his welder. I often hear about somebody ignoring the voltage loss upstream of the feeder as though it doesn't count.
    Last edited by Willie B; 03-14-2019 at 01:27 PM.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    This sounds like a good place to work.
    It was great. Loved working there. Then the Enron fiasco F'd it all up. They tried as much as they could to weather the effects on the custom machine building industry we were in by asking people to voluntary cut hours instead of layoffs. ITW started buying up other outfits but owner wanted to keep true to the values they ran by. Never sold out like almost everyone else did. I stayed and worked 4 9 hour days for the next summer (no kids back then) a whole summer or 3 day weekends! Then got headhunted by a real small shop that did very specialized precision welding. Former mold maker turned tool and die mold repair welder. He got a contract with GM to outsource the welding inside their R&D alternative propulsion facility, fuel cell hype days...so I left for the opportunity. It lasted a year then I've pretty much worked for myself since the last 17 years. Tired of working your arse off for someone and no loyalty to the employees. Didn't make sense to me to work for "a consistent paycheck" when the conaistant part no longer exists. You seem to be talkng on the liability of ecnomony cycles and contracts but without the benifit of the up times and rewards and profits.... might as well take on both sides of the ecnomic cycle. Risk and the reward. Seems like most companies have diverted much risk onto employees who are just now a commodity.

Ryan

CK WF1 TIG wire feeder
    Optrel e684
    Miller Digital Elite
    Miller Weld-Mask

Yeah if you can work for your self and do pretty good you are better off.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, L-tec, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Glad to see you got a 240 circuit, learned a bit, got in a nice project with dad, and did it right! Kudos for not letting the alarmists (ahem, calling all sparkies) completely deter you from electrical work. None of it is impossible (or really that difficult, let's be honest fellas) to learn or execute (pun intended). Safety first keeps you (duh) safe and well, so with anything that can kill you (electricity, circular saws, AR-15s) always educate yourself first, then go in with a common sense safety first mind set and attitude. Be aware, stay aware, and refuse to work/play with those that aren't. Now for the bad news, you're gonna want more before you know it. Going to wish you'd have ran that third leg, or gone for a 100amp, 150, 200, 3 phase next. LOL it never ends, but it's a fun, rewarding addiction (according to everyone but our wives).

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBlues View Post
    Glad to see you got a 240 circuit, learned a bit, got in a nice project with dad, and did it right! Kudos for not letting the alarmists (ahem, calling all sparkies) completely deter you from electrical work. None of it is impossible (or really that difficult, let's be honest fellas) to learn or execute (pun intended). Safety first keeps you (duh) safe and well, so with anything that can kill you (electricity, circular saws, AR-15s) always educate yourself first, then go in with a common sense safety first mind set and attitude. Be aware, stay aware, and refuse to work/play with those that aren't. Now for the bad news, you're gonna want more before you know it. Going to wish you'd have ran that third leg, or gone for a 100amp, 150, 200, 3 phase next. LOL it never ends, but it's a fun, rewarding addiction (according to everyone but our wives).
    Haha, thanks.
    Hobart Handler 190
    Hypertherm Powermax 45XP
    Welder12 on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMd...BGgVPbze3Kic3w

There will always be the naysayers . I think that's how the dictionary puts it anyways.

Nice job Kieth.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBlues View Post
    Haha...well I sure got the last problem fixed now, she took off! Truly a blessing in disguise. Now I can do whatever the heck I want. Already thought at some point I'm moving back near the ocean, maybe specalize in marine welding. Always had the interest and knack but with the great lakes you don't get a long season. Funny how I've been selling stuff now (after she's gone) that she complained about having around. Little does she know that all those funds are now being put into taking care of the legal mess that was made in support of my children's eventual physical needs and therapy to repair the damage and trauma she did.

Ryan

CK WF1 TIG wire feeder
    Optrel e684
    Miller Digital Elite
    Miller Weld-Mask

dat's a lot of money for a 6g run :0
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge