How should I run 220 to my shop? - Page 3
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: How should I run 220 to my shop?

Bury pvc from the spa location to the shop. Pull the appropriate size conductors through and install your shop receptacle. Install a manual transfer switch at the spa. One position for spa only. One position all off. One position shop only. Look for a decent used gas or diesel welder. :sodachug:

Quote Originally Posted by Ypop View Post
    danielplace around that age I was welding, driving and doing some electrical. We all forget what we did at that age. Driving was on a farm standard shift standard steering 3/4 ton pickup.
    I ended up being man of the house when I was 13...halfway to 14. I learned how to do a lot of stuff. No Internet back then but I did have a few neighbors that showed me stuff. And library books.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

YES. 50 amps direct to a separate cutoff/box where you plug in Heavy Duty.....for a few minutes.
    Unplug the welder. Plug in the milling machine or plasma table, unplug, connect whatever------move on

Quote Originally Posted by el perro View Post
    Bury pvc from the spa location to the shop. Pull the appropriate size conductors through and install your shop receptacle. Install a manual transfer switch at the spa. One position for spa only. One position all off. One position shop only. Look for a decent used gas or diesel welder. :sodachug:
    And when you get ready to buy an air compressor, look for a gas fired one. I've had a twin tank wheelbarrow type with a Honda for most 30 years. It's outlasted several electric ones, I never have to find a place to plug it in, and it makes gobs of air. :Thumbs up:

I had neighbors. One was brilliant with metal. He never welded a thing, but forming metal ready for welding was his specialty. Sheet metal was flawless. He started in ship yards before WWII. I still remember his frustration that I didn't hold the PERFECT angle with a scribe. He had a son, but they couldn't be together. They offended each other.

Another neighbor nearly adopted me. He was a forester. There was nothing he didn't know about timber, how it is measured, harvested, and most importantly, how great logs come to be. The best logs are produced naturally after a huge fire in 100 years, or with management, in 60 years. When I think of a "hard" man I think of him. From his teaching, I am a better man than I would be otherwise. My father was a good man, but his time was limited. Edward was retired, he gave his time freely, and never having children the Risdons treated me like someone special. It is because of these special neighbors that I know what it is like to have loving grandparents.

I stick to my position that a little knowledge is dangerous. If some knowledgeable person has the time to supervise, I applaud the venture.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.