Welding Chrome Vanadium Coated Wrench
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Welding Chrome Vanadium Coated Wrench

I have a metal art project in mind and will use a chrome vanadium coated wrench as part of it. Have no clue how to weld it to mild steel parts. What process should I use. Have MIG and TIG. Should I just grind off the coating where I want the welds to be and then weld as normal, as I assume the base metal is carbon steel. Thanks for your help.

Re: Welding Chrome Vanadium Coated Wrench

Quote Originally Posted by John Sundquist View Post
    I have a metal art project in mind and will use a chrome vanadium coated wrench as part of it. Have no clue how to weld it to mild steel parts. What process should I use. Have MIG and TIG. Should I just grind off the coating where I want the welds to be and then weld as normal, as I assume the base metal is carbon steel. Thanks for your help.
    Vanadium and chromium are alloying components of the steel the wrench is made from, chromium is also the bright shiny "coating", or more proper term, "electroplating" process that makes it shiny and corrosion resistant.

If not for rugged use you can weld it easily conventionally.
    Last edited by Slob; 11-30-2018 at 10:32 AM.
    Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

You should have no problem welding it. I actually prefer the way it welds. Not much different really it just seems to make such a nice easy to run puddle for some reason. Tool steel all seems that way to me. Easy to weld nicely.
    Last edited by danielplace; 11-30-2018 at 10:41 AM.

If you want the plating removed, soak in white vinegar a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by John Sundquist View Post
    Your plan is sound. I do it that way regularly and use ER312 as filler. https://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-u...ncolnElectric)
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200withspoolgun,MKCobra Mig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig3ea.