Thermal Arc 400 GSM potentiometer?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thermal Arc 400 GSM potentiometer?

I’m hoping someone can point me in the right direction. My 400 GSM is getting erratic, I believe the potentiometer that sets the voltage in CV and amps in CC mode is on its way out. The settings are very touchy, in the most commonly used range ( let’s say 16 - 20 volts on the scale) moving the knob to raise the setting will sometimes drop the indicated output setting and other times it goes up , the adjustment is anything but linear , small adjustments can get huge changes or almost nothing at all. Last night it started actually changing the setting while I was welding, i’d Set it at 18.5 volts and it would bo nuts while I was welding, sometimes dropping to 12 volts once it went to 34 volts and seemingly everywhere in between.

This morning I had an idea to plug in a tig torch finger control and use that to set the voltage/ amperage. This worked great and the machine worked great welding in CC and CV . I’m suspecting the potentiometer on the machine is toast, is this something I can replace myself? I’m pretty comfortable with electric work, I haven’t used an oscilloscope in years but I used to know how to use one. I’m thinking this should be 2 wires getting soldered to the new pot and mounting the pot through the faceplate. Am I over simplifying? Is there a preferred source for these pots? I’m assuming I’ll need to disassemble to find out how many ohms it is.

Thanks for any advice.

Re: Thermal Arc 400 GSM potentiometer?

Aside from surgery, There is no remedy for the GSM. It's an oldie but goodie from Sanrex from way back. 1990's ? May be some parts machines around in the repair shops. Or call This guy in Ohio his name is Mike. 419 953-5964 he will say yay or nay on the situation. Good Luck
    Thermal Arc 320SP
    Cobra Pythons
    Thermal Arc 300 AC/DC
    Thermal Arc 161STL
    Thermal Arc 190S
    Cut Master 82, 42.
    Victor Gas App.
    Ellis 1600
    Evolution Compound Mitre.
    Boxes of welding crap.

Re: Thermal Arc 400 GSM potentiometer?

Thanks , i’ll give him a call.