Glass Dust exposure - misconceptions vs truth - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Glass Dust exposure - misconceptions vs truth

Quote Originally Posted by lotechman View Post
    Many sand basting operations will not blast with regular sand and choose black sand from crushed furnace slag. What I was told was that the black sand did not produce the silica dust and the particles were more sharp doing a better job. It certainly produces less dust in the air around the operation. Another choice for blasting media is steel shot.
    The town where I live had a plant that made the blast media from the slag from the copper smelter, the slag is mostly iron, but silica is used in "fluxing" the furnace, the slag also contains arsenic, some lead, molybdenum, and lord knows what else. It was marketed as BLACK BEAUTY.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    The town where I live had a plant that made the blast media from the slag from the copper smelter, the slag is mostly iron, but silica is used in "fluxing" the furnace, the slag also contains arsenic, some lead, molybdenum, and lord knows what else. It was marketed as BLACK BEAUTY.

Great name!!!! seem to recall some drugs in the 70's-80's with similar names that were to die for...

Harsco formerly Reed Minerals who produced millions of tons of blasting media from scrap slag.

Dam fine blasting materials produced by a quality company. The individual components of the slag really aren't relevent since they are compounded into the ceramic slag and not readily seperable in blasting conditions.

Only drawback to Black Beauty is it shatters on impact and isn't very usable in a recycled media operation.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil5 View Post
    Only drawback to Black Beauty is it shatters on impact and isn't very usable in a recycled media operation.
    That's what I have gathered in the course of my research. I started using the cheap crushed glass from HF and it definitely does better than the $30.00/8lbs of Interactivia glass beads that I got from amazon. I think I'll start a new thread on blasting media since I'd like to help keep this forum somewhat organized.

Guy I use for paint and rust removal around here uses a soft river sand imported from Missouri. It does really well stripping truck bodies and eating rust out without warping the steel. Small parts I do myself of course but depainting automotive sheet metal is more cost advantageous to sublet. He tried "Black Beauty" when it first started showing up to replace silica sand but it just didn't work as well as the river sand. They blast 7-8 hours a day non stop as that's their business.
    Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

Quote Originally Posted by Slob View Post
    Guy I use for paint and rust removal around here uses a soft river sand imported from Missouri. It does really well stripping truck bodies and eating rust out without warping the steel. Small parts I do myself of course but depainting automotive sheet metal is more cost advantageous to sublet. He tried "Black Beauty" when it first started showing up to replace silica sand but it just didn't work as well as the river sand. They blast 7-8 hours a day non stop as that's their business.
    I like this idea actually. Since my dust collection system works so well I really don't see any reason not to use sand. The Dust Deputy' on it's bucket captures all the visible material with nothing in the bucket with the buckethead vacuum so no matter what the media I should not have any dust issues outside the blasting cabinet.

Just link to Reed's site http://www.blackbeautyabrasives.com/...-abrasives.php where you can learn plenty about slag material.
    You can also click on products and learn about Black Beauty crushed glass.
    There's even a nice picture of crushed glass showing the multiple cutting surfaces on each granule.

Norton seems have taken a liking to making minimovies for the illiterate set to watch on devices.

There is already 3 boxcars of information on hurling small chunks of rock and corncob, walnut shell, rice hulls, wheat hulls and Dry Ice along with soda at objects with compressed air, to say nothing of water under pressure, and it always boils down to my cousin Bill lives in a house that backs up to a house where the guy blasts crap in a tin box from China and Bill says it works good.

What you ain't gonna find is a solitary solid definition of what the hell white metal condition is, and how long it has to remain in that condition sitting next to a swamp in Louisiana till somebody squirts a rattle can of Krylon at it.

You also won't find a lick on off label misuse of Phosphoric Acid containing Polymeric temporary coatings as a base coat/adhesion layer, and why it's a pathetic substitute for proper coating.

What the hell do I know? I only been at it for over 50 years.