The Correct Answer is "Yes Dear" (Modifying a bird feeder pole)
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

The Correct Answer is "Yes Dear" (Modifying a bird feeder pole)

Do you ever encounter a 15 minute jobs that turn into a three hour job?

My wife asked me to install a pole for the bird feeder that she purchased. It didn't sound like a welding job but the pole was so short, that she couldn't see the birds at the feeder, which is the whole point of having a bird feeder. I spliced the shaft and then I decided to move the cross brace up so the there would be 16 inches in the ground instead of just 10 inches. I settled on 16 inches because I had underground electrical conduit at 18 inches and I didn't want to hit it.

1. Removing zinc plating with hydrochloric acid (or Muriatic acid from Home Depot)

Name:  1. Removing zinc plating.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  57.4 KB

2. Zinc plating removed (to avoid poisonous fumes when welding)

Name:  2. Zinc plating removed.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  119.8 KB

3. Chamfering shaft (to get full penetration)

Name:  3. Chamfering shaft.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  59.1 KB

4. Cutting Shaft

Name:  4. Cutting Shaft.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  80.2 KB

5. Aligning shaft

Name:  5. Aligning shaft.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  104.1 KB
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
    Clausing/Coldchester 15" Lathe
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport
    Lincoln LE 31 MP & Lincoln 210 MP

Re: The Correct Answer is "Yes Dear" (Modifying a bird feeder pole)

6. Tack TIG welding shaft (because I have better control of the puddle)

Name:  6. Tack welding shaft.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  88.5 KB

7. Shaft TIG welded

Name:  7. Shaft welded.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  103.4 KB

8. Cross Brace MIG weld 1 (because it is faster)

Name:  8. Cross Brace weld 1.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  113.1 KB

9. Cross brace MIG weld 2

Name:  9. Cross brace weld 2.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  84.8 KB

When I went to install the squirrel shield I noticed that the bracket that came with the squirrel shield was too large to fit on the pole. You might think if you purchased both at the same store at the same time that they would fit, but you would be wrong. To solve the problem I machined a Black Delrin plastic spacer to take up the gap. The new spacer does look like it belongs with the bracket.

10. Boring and cutting off spacer

Name:  10. Boring spacer.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  74.7 KB
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport

11 Splitting spacer

Name:  11 Splitting spacer.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  85.4 KB

12. Split spacer in place

Name:  12. Split spacer in place.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  47.4 KB

13. Squirrel shield installed

Name:  13. Squirrel shield installed.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  71.1 KB

14. Bird feeder installed

Name:  14. Bird feeder installed.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  135.8 KB

You can see my garage in the background. The part that sticks out in the rear of the picture is my new addition that I have been working on for the past year. The status is that I am almost finished with installing the insulation.

-Don
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport

You gonna love filling that contraption when it's cold and there is deep snow on the ground.

nice work. anything to keep out of verge's (video posted elsewhere on the ww) doghouse. if you're an experienced bird feeder you know squirrels can think outside the box and will spend more time trying to beat that rodent cone than you spent building it.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

nice fix..but there are many ways to the end, you took the long way to play with all the neat toys, you cant say you didnt have fun though....

Two pumps with a Crossman "760" air rifle and the squirrels don't want nuthin to do with the bird feeder. I don't kill them as they do other good deeds and can't blame them either as we all gotta eat. However I feed the birds, not the squirrels with that feeder. I keep an ear(s) of field corn on the other feeder for them which they wipe out pretty easily. Shop is surrounded by fields and of the three, at least one is planted with corn each year so stock is cheap and easy.
    Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

Nice job!
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Quote Originally Posted by Slob View Post
    Two pumps with a Crossman "760" air rifle and the squirrels don't want nuthin to do with the bird feeder. I don't kill them as they do other good deeds and can't blame them either as we all gotta eat. However I feed the birds, not the squirrels with that feeder. I keep an ear(s) of field corn on the other feeder for them which they wipe out pretty easily. Shop is surrounded by fields and of the three, at least one is planted with corn each year so stock is cheap and easy.
    Slob seems to be displaying a need to think he controls the wildlife world.

It might have been what led to his poor interaction with PeeAire.

"Twinkie" theft is an inexcusable offense deserving of the most severe of punishment up to and including immediate cessation of life by the guilty.

Squirrels stealing bird seed doesn't quite reach that climax but are rather deserving of reform actions; once. 2nd time offense may net them a frying pan.
    Slob

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil5 View Post
    You gonna love filling that contraption when it's cold and there is deep snow on the ground.
    My wife really enjoys looking at the birds. It is all good. A happy wife is a happy life.

Quote Originally Posted by docwelder View Post
    if you're an experienced bird feeder you know squirrels can think outside the box and will spend more time trying to beat that rodent cone than you spent building it.
    You got that right.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    nice fix..but there are many ways to the end, you took the long way to play with all the neat toys, you cant say you didnt have fun though....
    You know how this type of project goes. It seemed like a simple 15 minute job in the beginning. Each step just added incrementally.

Quote Originally Posted by scsmith42 View Post
    Nice job!
    Thanks, I enjoyed it.
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport

In my household "yes Dear" is a sarcastic reply. There will be consequences. I've learned to not use that phrase. I've substituted "OK". Some days I get in trouble for OK.

Enough of me complaining.

Mrs. B actively attracts squirrels. She loves them! I have mentioned the ticks, fleas, and disease they bring. She is unmoved. I do have a friend who makes stew occasionally after 30 minutes at my house. Not enough squirrels disappear to be noticed.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

You need to invite an experienced squirrel muncher from Pike Cnty Kaintuucky.

Or a Great horned Owl.
    Red Tailed Hawks are iffy on squirrels.

Bud of mine has a pic of a juvie Red Tail sitting on is lawn talking to the world's greatest salesrabbit. Rabbit did a good job selling the hawk he wasn't lunch and hopped away. Mom & Dad Hawk put that fledgling in remedial classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Don52 View Post
    Do you ever encounter a 15 minute jobs that turn into a three hour job?
    This happens to me on *every* job.

As others have said, nice job! You got to use (and justify ownership of) the right tool for each step. And if you enjoyed it, sounds like an afternoon well spent.

OP...major fail on the honey do project. What a rookie mistake too...

After 38 years I have figured out to take some basic advantage of the situation ( not the wifey...that would result in total annilation of myself)...which is to devise a solution that requires enough time and tooling that I must obtain a new specific tool or replace/upgrade an existing deficient tool.

I have even upgraded my vehicle collection even with this tackic...ended up with a 3/4ton crew outa the deal once.

OP...from here on out, please, I am begging you man...take advantage of the opportunity to not loose your man card AND manage to get unobtainium types of tooling.

PM me if you need additional coaching or guidance...I am here for you...and wifey...

PS...that is a nice looking bird feeder!

Quote Originally Posted by Tarmstrong View Post
    OP...major fail on the honey do project. What a rookie mistake too...

After 38 years I have figured out to take some basic advantage of the situation ( not the wifey...that would result in total annilation of myself)...which is to devise a solution that requires enough time and tooling that I must obtain a new specific tool or replace/upgrade an existing deficient tool.

I have even upgraded my vehicle collection even with this tackic...ended up with a 3/4ton crew outa the deal once.

OP...from here on out, please, I am begging you man...take advantage of the opportunity to not loose your man card AND manage to get unobtainium types of tooling.

PM me if you need additional coaching or guidance...I am here for you...and wifey...

PS...that is a nice looking bird feeder!
    I was considering purchasing a water cooled Miller Dynasty 400 for this project, but it seemed a Little overkill for a bird feeder pole. Especially since I already have eight welders. I was worried that she would see right through me and end my tool acquiring racket.

-Don
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport

You need to invite an experienced squirrel muncher from Pike Cnty Kaintuucky.

Or a Great horned Owl.
    Red Tailed Hawks are iffy on squirrels.

Bud of mine has a pic of a juvie Red Tail sitting on is lawn talking to the world's greatest salesrabbit. Rabbit did a good job selling the hawk he wasn't lunch and hopped away. Mom & Dad Hawk put that fledgling in remedial classes.
    I have Daniel.

Vermont Marble was owned by the Proctor family. They were, a hundred years ago, very progressive, but didn't have Obama, or Bernie Sanders to guide them. If they had a Hillary they'd have crushed her under a 20 ton block. They believed in integration, with caution. ALL available migrants were hired, but they avoided conflict. Catholics were grouped in one facility, Lutherans in another. Danby had Quarry Hill. All the original Proctor employees there were Polish. Locally, it was known as Pollo() Peak. A few generations later, the blood line has remained strong. Polish people need not be insulted, they enjoy doing it to themselves. I can't think of one I don't like. Food has survived the years. In my youth the old lady down the road delighted in my pleasure at her pickles, and skull & crossbones horseradish. I've never had better horseradish!

Daniel eats squirrel. That's a good thing.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

I was considering purchasing a water cooled Miller Dynasty 400 for this project, but it seemed a Little overkill for a bird feeder pole. Especially since I already have eight welders. I was worried that she would see right through me and end my tool acquiring racket.

-Don
    Chicken

Quote Originally Posted by Tarmstrong View Post
    Chicken
    In the immortal words of Dirty Harry: "A man has to know his limitations."

Dave
    2016 AHP AlphaTIG 200X
    Dave's Telescopes Page

As a long married man allow me to impart some hard earned knowledge to you:

It's much easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.

Remember that.
    Slob

and more advise... or at least suggestion

this may will be married 54 years to the same lady... my advise for a long happy marriage I don't try to run her life and I don't try to run mine. It works about 65% of the time

Quote Originally Posted by jniolon View Post
    and more advise... or at least suggestion

this may will be married 54 years to the same lady... my advise for a long happy marriage I don't try to run her life and I don't try to run mine. It works about 65% of the time
    You're beating the average; congratulations!
    Slob

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    I have Daniel.

Vermont Marble was owned by the Proctor family. They were, a hundred years ago, very progressive, but didn't have Obama, or Bernie Sanders to guide them. If they had a Hillary they'd have crushed her under a 20 ton block. They believed in integration, with caution. ALL available migrants were hired, but they avoided conflict. Catholics were grouped in one facility, Lutherans in another. Danby had Quarry Hill. All the original Proctor employees there were Polish. Locally, it was known as Pollo() Peak. A few generations later, the blood line has remained strong. Polish people need not be insulted, they enjoy doing it to themselves. I can't think of one I don't like. Food has survived the years. In my youth the old lady down the road delighted in my pleasure at her pickles, and skull & crossbones horseradish. I've never had better horseradish!

Daniel eats squirrel. That's a good thing.
    Number of years back I was in Vermont, and had the occasion to visit a granite quarry where they harvested monument stone. It was before all the OSHA and MSAH insanity and on a weekend. I got to wander a bit of the hole, and gained good knowledge of the techniques of using holes with wet wood plugs as well as holes full of water to fracture blocks. I also enjoyed watching the long wire sawing blocks to size. My understanding is marble is much softer and mostly sawn free from the face or at least undercut with a mounted chain saw on steroids.

Marble is also interesting in the place it was taken from governs where and how it can be used. There's a tower in Rochester that was originally covered with 1" white marble facing. 2 years in all the marble had to be removed and replaced with 3/4 painted plywood because marble from Italy where the temperature never got below freezing tends to spall quite readily in zero temperatures.

Separating ethnic communities was quite the norm as Europeans migrated to the US. Into the 50s Rochester was made up of nearly all ethnic neighborhoods and supported 37 newspapers in a multitude of languages. Isolation by ethnicity was more the norm than unusual in most cities. I personally contend the so called melting pot only existed on the job, and then only to the extent necessary. It took a brave young Italian Girl to date a German boy back then, and usually for their survival they met on neutral territory. It was good to be friends with Italians back then, mothers were fine cooks and took pleasure inviting a complete outsider to their table, as long as he wasn't eyeballing any of her daughters.
    The melting pot got to melting primarily because of azz, female/young and male pursuit thereof.

Polish cooking is definitely special. There is a dish made by rolling rice and veggies into boiled cabage leaves along with chopped meat that is then baked with sauce I can not pronounce let alone spell that I love. Thankfully there is still a large Ukrainian community here, beautiful women with great pride who not only retain their language, they teach it to their kids. Once every 6 weeks the mothers, grandmothers and kids get together at one of their churches and make and sell Ukie food. They generously accommodate me by speaking English to me.

Horseradish is a gift of the gods. I can get all I am willing to dig, but I ain't too willing any more..

Kraut is another, but I made enough of that along with pickled cabbage when I was a kid I have no intention of ever making more, even though I do own a cutter. I also no longer tolerate the outgassing well.

Number of years back I was in Vermont, and had the occasion to visit a granite quarry where they harvested monument stone. It was before all the OSHA and MSAH insanity and on a weekend. I got to wander a bit of the hole, and gained good knowledge of the techniques of using holes with wet wood plugs as well as holes full of water to fracture blocks. I also enjoyed watching the long wire sawing blocks to size. My understanding is marble is much softer and mostly sawn free from the face or at least undercut with a mounted chain saw on steroids.

Marble is also interesting in the place it was taken from governs where and how it can be used. There's a tower in Rochester that was originally covered with 1" white marble facing. 2 years in all the marble had to be removed and replaced with 3/4 painted plywood because marble from Italy where the temperature never got below freezing tends to spall quite readily in zero temperatures.

Separating ethnic communities was quite the norm as Europeans migrated to the US. Into the 50s Rochester was made up of nearly all ethnic neighborhoods and supported 37 newspapers in a multitude of languages. Isolation by ethnicity was more the norm than unusual in most cities. I personally contend the so called melting pot only existed on the job, and then only to the extent necessary. It took a brave young Italian Girl to date a German boy back then, and usually for their survival they met on neutral territory. It was good to be friends with Italians back then, mothers were fine cooks and took pleasure inviting a complete outsider to their table, as long as he wasn't eyeballing any of her daughters.
    The melting pot got to melting primarily because of azz, female/young and male pursuit thereof.

Polish cooking is definitely special. There is a dish made by rolling rice and veggies into boiled cabage leaves along with chopped meat that is then baked with sauce I can not pronounce let alone spell that I love. Thankfully there is still a large Ukrainian community here, beautiful women with great pride who not only retain their language, they teach it to their kids. Once every 6 weeks the mothers, grandmothers and kids get together at one of their churches and make and sell Ukie food. They generously accommodate me by speaking English to me.

Horseradish is a gift of the gods. I can get all I am willing to dig, but I ain't too willing any more..

Kraut is another, but I made enough of that along with pickled cabbage when I was a kid I have no intention of ever making more, even though I do own a cutter. I also no longer tolerate the outgassing well.
    Marble is quarried here underground. A huge space is inside Dorset Mountain. Marble is soft compared to granite. they have to be careful or it breaks. Most work these days is with rope saws. They drill 30 feet from two directions, meet at 90 degree angle. They vacuum a mouse through, and fish a wire rope through. Diamond beads are on the rope, and they run the rope until they cut everything. Typical blocks are many hundred tons, then cut up.

One quarry in Cavendish is so cracked, it needs a backer of Durrock to use as tile.

Not all Polish food is good. I do love kraut, but other kapusta dishes are not so loved.
    Last edited by Willie B; 12-03-2018 at 05:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    My thoughts exactly! You could have been done in 15 minutes if you had taken a different approach. Similar results, a lot less aestetically pleasing BUT much faster.

I like your route, though.