Gas gauge problem located:
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Gas gauge problem located:

Tank level gauge has never worked on my GB-318 so decided to investigate why yesterday. After running the machine out of fuel and looking down the filler neck, I could see the linkage and gauge backside but there is no float. Using a tig rod bent into an "L" shape, I reached down under the linkage rod and upon lifting it the gauge works correctly. There is a false bottom in the tank which hides the bottom so I figure the missing float is caught under the panel. After removing the mechanical gauge assembly from the side of the tank and ascertaining the gears and rods were good, I went looking for the missing float. Lowering the front the welder to the bottom travel of the nose jack I dumped five gallons of fresh fuel into the tank and upon looking the float was there "floating". To my surprise it was cork. Once again I reached into the tank with my tig rod and extracted the float and it is barely lighter than the gasoline it was setting in. To ascertain if it was bad, I reattached it to the arm and slide the gauge assembly back into place. No joy at all as the float and arm remained on the bottom of the tank. Removing the assembly again and trying to remove the float from the arm, it promptly crumbled in my hands.

Cork used to be very common as a float for gauges in gasoline. They would form it then seal it with shellac. This worked great until they started with alcohol in the gasolines because alcohol is a solvent to shellac. Once this sealer was gone, the cork deteriorates and absorbs gasoline till it's no longer a "float" in this instance. Modern neoprene and it's derivatives have replaced this unless brass or plastic is used. I'll get a chunk of 1.75" neoprene round tube from Mcmaster and fix this thing next week.
    Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

Re: Gas gauge problem located:

You ain't spoda fix that sh!y.
    You spoda post asking if anybody knows the part number for a complete replacement gauge assembly and who sells it for the best price!

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil5 View Post
    You spoda post asking if anybody knows the part number for a complete replacement gauge assembly and who sells it for the best price!
    Oooops!!!!
    Slob

I went thru the same with the float in an old outboard remote tank. Got a foam float from a newer pickup gas tank, attached it to the arm and has worked well for several yrs.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"

Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Quote Originally Posted by mla2ofus View Post
    I went thru the same with the float in an old outboard remote tank. Got a foam float from a newer pickup gas tank, attached it to the arm and has worked well for several yrs.
    Mike
    THAT right there is how a real mechanic, not to be confused with a technician, does the job.

Actually I'm a little concerned about Slob. He seems to be under stress from all the attention he gets from Home Office lately.

Then again, he got my ground clamps confiscated.

THAT right there is how a real mechanic, not to be confused with a technician, does the job.

Actually I'm a little concerned about Slob. He seems to be under stress from all the attention he gets from Home Office lately.

Then again, he got my ground clamps confiscated.
    But mine earned "it's place" on the wall of fame in the CEO's office after chrome plating.
    Slob

Good to hear another 'greenie' induced problem has been solved Slob

I wonder if there is a way to file a class action suit against the greenies for causing all the problems and waste of resources including energy by their mandate of 'green' fuel additives???

The greenies don't give a damn about any problems resulting from their agenda!!
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"

Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Found and deployed my spare Tweco "Senior" ground clamp today. The world is once again a pleasant place to exist within. Gone, (or sidelined) is the misery of knowing Peeair's nads are dangling as a wall display from my former clamp within a sadistic CEO's office.

Here is the float from my GB-318 gasoline tank:

Name:  20181202_171028_resized.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  107.2 KB

Name:  20181202_171040_resized.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  112.6 KB

When out at the shop a bit ago practicing some vertical up with flux core as per CEP's suggestion, (working well) I placed this float into my shirt pocket and forgot about it. Sitting at the computer and my wife awakens to the smell of gasoline in the house, (I'm in the next room) and proceeds to instruct me to take a shower as I smell like gas. Still not remembering I'd stuck that float in my shirt, and knowing I didn't handle gasoline today, I start sniffing my sleeves and such to find the offense. Get down to my shirt pocket and suddenly it becomes crystal clear I must have some type of dementia coming on.....
    Slob

Not dementia, it's the after effect of sniffing the alcohol in the gasoline.
    Lincoln Invertec V205-T Tig/stick
    Millermatic 211 Mig Welder
    Speedglas Adflo PAPR 9100 FX-Air
    CertiFlat FB2430 fabBlock U-Weld Kit Welding Table
    FW3012 CertiFlat fabWing 30" X 12" Extension Table

Quote Originally Posted by Slob View Post
    Oooops!!!!
    What in the world were you thinking?!
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Recently had a similar situation with cork on a US Marine surplus generator package only diesel. Wasn't a "swing arm" design though but a vertical "rotating" on a twisted flat bar type. Managed to save the cork though - this time.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Found the training video guys

WEll Slob, since you insist on spending your time resuscitating these museum pieces. A bit of redneck engineering for you. Find an old side hung float from a Holly carburetor and solder it to the arm on your sending unit. Use low temp solder and an iron or soldering copper, because the floats are soldered and a bit to hot with a torch and they leak DAMHIKT.

Or if you insist on keeping with the historical theme and must use cork. Try a cork stopper from a wine bottle. You could seal it using a fuel proof epoxy such as Devcon.
    Roger
    Old, Tired, and GRUMPY

Salesman will call, Batteries not included, Assembly is required, and FREE ADVICE IS WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAY FOR IT!

Dial Arc 250HF
    Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC

Assorted A/O torches

ROG you dam well know Slob is a purist on these machines.

He's gonna have to go to Portugal and debark a tree to make a 100% proper cork so he don't loose points at the Welder Show.
    Hell, he might go as far as hunting up a swarm of Lac bugs to crush and make his own shelac.

Slob already refused my offer to scavenge a float out of a basement oil tank for his machine.

I was out putzing in the shop this morning and ran across an aluminum bulb float from a former "Rochester" swing arm gear drive mechanical float which was worn out. Best part it's originally from another Hobart welder in which I installed a remote electric fuel level gauge into and kept this part. It is therefore, a "happy day". I cut the rod off and mounted it, (soldered) to the existing arm of the fuel gauge and it works well. If I take the unit back apart I'll snap a photo of the repaired unit.

Name:  20181203_142432.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  105.3 KB

So happy to have a proper ground clamp back too I'll attach a photo here:

Name:  20181203_133059_resized.jpg
Size:  95.1 KB
    Name:  20181203_133113_resized.jpg
Size:  92.5 KB

Now, PeeAir's "nads" are hanging on their own.
    Slob

Now all you need to do is toddle off to the grocery store and stock up on the limited edition banana Twinkies.
    Roger
    Old, Tired, and GRUMPY

Salesman will call, Batteries not included, Assembly is required, and FREE ADVICE IS WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAY FOR IT!

Dial Arc 250HF
    Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC

Assorted A/O torches

Hell, he might go as far as hunting up a swarm of Lac bugs to crush and make his own shelac.
    Does Slob know how to properly sex those Lac bugs? Do it wrong and he'll wind up with helac which doesn't work at all.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Found the training video guys
    I think I saw a finger in one of those bags!
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Slob getting his damn ground clamp back really hurts!

I'm scrambling trying to get work out with a busted jaw ground clamp and a hunk of bus bar with an inch of brass pipe brazed on for a ground and Slob, who caused the whole damn ground clamp issue gets his clamp back.

I got half a hunch Slob was involved in the kid getting his tongue froze to that fence post too. Probably talked the kid into it so he could swipe the kid's Twinkies.
    Only reason Slob ain't been canned yet is Irma has an evil plan in the incubator to make slob wish his parents never met.

Yep, I wouldn't doubt it.... Wimmen can be extremely devious planners.

I didn't have nuthin to do with nobody sticking their tongue to a fence post. You know how these kids are all trying to "outdo" or "up" the ante on each other for bragging rights. That's probably what happened. Wouldn't surprise me if it were the lad whom I teased at the ice skating rink his tongue wouldn't stick to a fudge bar removed from the cryogenic freezer in my welding wagon cause it was so cold. I didn't get the impression he was too smart when he started yanking the frozen confection from his lapper literally ripping the taste buds and nerves from their respective mountings. Definitely more brawn than brains with that one.....

It's well known my parents never meant to have me. I never met them.

Can't express how relieved I am to have a functioning ground clamp which will carry the load again. Now I got some learning to do.
    Slob