welding specialty steel
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

welding specialty steel

Question, I have a order to butt weld thin steel plate, 120/1000, this is 4140 stress relieved material.

What is the best process, it is usually pre heating which is involved, I am a fabricator not a lab.

Any suggestions on type of machine and rod/coil composition

There will be no applied stress to final use, it is in waste water process

Thanks
    Doug. H

Re: welding specialty steel

Welcome! You may want to post in the general forums.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Thanks Caveman

Welcome to the WW. 4140 needs to be preheated to weld it. So what you are welding is approximately 1/8" thick. That shoud preheat very quickly but it also needs to be cooled slower than just left to cool in open air because of being so thin . Ordinarily I would not post heat 4140 but in this case it might be beneficial. As far as being a lab, sometimes a weldor needs to know metalergy to be effective at his work. I have welded 4140 without preheating in my more foolish days when I worked for a company that had no experience with it. It was an expensive piece and when it failed after welding it was an even more expensive failure. If all you are going to do is look at it after welding yes it can be welded without preheating. If it is going to be subjected to stress for witch it was originally designed out of 4140 for , it will fail if welded cold. If memory serves me correctly 500 degrees preheat is needed.

3/32 E312 electrode. 60-70 amps.