Nelson Stud Welder:
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Nelson Stud Welder:

Anybody use one of these? I have and am just asking as they work very well. I'm wondering if anybody has one, if they use it, and how often? Went to the plant today where I borrow theirs and am planning to mount my engine drive to the skid with 1/2" studs. They stated it's surplus to their needs as no longer build electrical enclosures or operator cabs in house and want me to purchase it. This is a small unit and will put 5/8" studs onto clean plate easily so pretty handy if used. It is a shop unit and not made for outdoor use.
    Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

Re: Nelson Stud Welder:

Just the gun & relay or a modern complete Nelson unit with the power supply?

Gun only naw.
    Complete unit possibly.
    What's the market in your area for stud welding and do you have the power to run that HOG?

When we built the Pioneer Square Station for the Metro tunnel down town Seattle. We had to weld 3/4-inch Nelson studs on 12-inch center on all the Soldier piles. We found it was quicker to use SMAW with 7018. Than the stud welder.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

I had a company demo a Nelson stud welder for putting up to 3/8" stainless threaded studs to beams.

I really liked it until I asked him to do a test in slightly dusty material, to test material that has been field installed where all I can do is acetone it and not grind it. It was basically hit or miss, so either the stud held greatly or a small tap knocked it off.

So from that, it seems that there isn't a "ok" weld as there is with standard welding.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

You could use it with these in house if it is big enough and you have demand in your area.
    http://www.tuffstudds.com/
    ---Meltedmetal

This is a complete "system" including the power supply, gun, studs, insulators, etc. It is late 1970's to early 1980's built but works well. It was used a lot to install studs on equipment they built in house with their electrical panels and conduit runs. I used to work with it quite often setting up and wiring their panels but they started subletting the work back in the late 1990's so this unit seldom gets any use any longer. Most of the studs they used were 1/4", 5/16", and 3/8" and the machine is a 800A. I think the largest stud I ever mounted was 1/2" but not often.

I don't have a genuine need for the machine at all but I'm the only one whom uses it any longer. I could probably purchase it cheap and not use it for much of anything and not hurt from it. Not very large in footprint and I do have the power to supply it available. They used to borrow my 40kw portable generator and ran this and other equipment effortlessly when doing new installs.

I'm going to install studs onto the tubes of my skid to not have any protrusion into the tubes. The tubes are to actually be long tool storage boxes for my boring bars and such as per suggestions here. The engine drive machine has holes drilled for mounting to a chassis, (or running gear) in it's perimeter frame and I'm going to have the studs protrude up through them for bolting the machine down.
    Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

Quote Originally Posted by CEP View Post
    When we built the Pioneer Square Station for the Metro tunnel down town Seattle. We had to weld 3/4-inch Nelson studs on 12-inch center on all the Soldier piles. We found it was quicker to use SMAW with 7018. Than the stud welder.
    there were nelson stud welders on quite a few jobs i was on. i was leery of showing too much interest because i was afraid the bossman would put me on it. worse on the back than tacking decking plus the ceramic ferrules were always underfoot. from what i could observe;once the amps and timing was set and you gave every hundredth stud the sledgehammer test you were good to go. it never failed there was always some out of the way spot the stud gang missed and we had to weld a few hundred studs by hand.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Quote Originally Posted by CEP View Post
    Allright Carl, I realize you're just a beginner learnin the trade from a 19 year old kid and all so you can pursue your hobby, but dammit you need to stop all that left coast talk and habla the American Standard English/ pre 1980 version.

What the hell is a pin pile and a soldier pile, and we ain't talking human waste on the Portland or Frisco sidewalk.
    Secondly what is a whaler? A whaler in this part of the world is a steel rod thru a concrete form that retains the form's thickness dimension, and I don't see any plywood or 2x4s in that picture.

I tell you all this dam regional self expression makin up words is leading to the ruination of this country to say nothing of the skills Carl is tryin to learn.