Welder Sugestion ?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Welder Sugestion ?

I am interested in stick, and MIG welding. What machines would you suggest, that could do both well ? Or am I better of starting with MIG, and moving to stick latter on ?
    I would be working with steel only , 3/8 of an inch down to 1/8 . I could hook up to 120 /240 single phase , I don't have three phase were I am now. I have been looking at
    Miller and Lincoln welders , but I am open to any thing .

Re: Welder Sugestion ?

My personal belief is that starting with stick makes you a much better welder. A decent stick machine with the right rods will weld 1/8th inch material pretty easily without burning through. I am also not in favor of combo machines. Tempting as they are, if it goes down you are out of business and few of them do everything well. I think you are best suited finding a decent used stick welder for very little money and start off mastering stick welding. When you are ready you can do something similar with MIG. Here are some examples:

https://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/t...757186673.html
    https://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/t...758921006.html
    https://allentown.craigslist.org/tls...749337295.html
    https://newjersey.craigslist.org/tls...758377097.html
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

[QUOTE=Louie1961;8663424]My personal belief is that starting with stick makes you a much better welder. A decent stick machine with the right rods will weld 1/8th inch material pretty easily without burning through. I am also not in favor of combo machines. Tempting as they are, if it goes down you are out of business and few of them do everything well. I think you are best suited finding a decent used stick welder for very little money and start off mastering stick welding. When you are ready you can do something similar with MIG. Here are some examples:

https://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/t...757186673.html

Wow, that Miller I bought new in the 70's for $100.00 and sold 20 years later for a $100.00. Prices by you are a lot more then y me in Illinois / Southern wisconsin.

I agree 100% on a single use machine . Mig will definitely be easiest to weld with. With mig you can make a beautiful weld but may lack penetration. Mig is perfect for your light gauge work and will avoid frustration.
    Mig welding you can get in welding position and just move along at that set comfortable position. The wire will keep feeding. With stick welding, once you strike the arc you need to compensate for the rod burning away. So you start say 10'' away and by the time you're done you are 3'' away. Both procedures have their good and bad points.
    In my area sellers , sellers with Miller and Lincoln machines try to get new prices. Buying new gives you a warranty IF you can afford it. The warranty does give a peace of mind.
    I would definitely get a 220 volt machine or a 110/220 .
    Shop local because you will need other goodies too and I found about same price as online. IF you go mig get a price with tank as a package deal. Buying tank from supplier may save frustrating experiences later. Tanks are another issue. Good luck
    I know that Millers 211 has been a hot machine from the start.

Miller and

BD 3/8", 1/4" certainly does not qualify as light ga. for a beginner and a mig machine.
    Get yourself a used stick as suggested and get a mig later on for speed. AFTER you learn to weld(electrodes)

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnfish View Post
    I am interested in stick, and MIG welding. What machines would you suggest, that could do both well ? Or am I better of starting with MIG, and moving to stick latter on ?
    I would be working with steel only , 3/8 of an inch down to 1/8 . I could hook up to 120 /240 single phase , I don't have three phase were I am now. I have been looking at
    theres welding with reasonable expenses for welds you get and then there is adult toys to play with.
    many spend $1000. to $10,000 a year on welding equipment and after they get tired of their toys maybe lucky they use 2 lbs of rod or wire a year doing actual welding.
    if you buy a welding machine for $200. and another $200. in helmet, grinder, gloves, rod, etc thats $400. and after say 2 years thats $200/yr or about $4 a week
    many spend more on coffee than that. nothing wrong with a few toys to weld with. i just wouldnt buy a lot unless you actually using it for more than a year. often people get bored and stop playing with their toys.
    stick welding is ok for 1/8 and thicker. sure you not going to weld 2" thick in one pass. its called making multiple passes til the weld is big enough. 99.9% of professionals often make multi pass welds rather than weld at over 300 amps. many professionals weld at 150 or less amps for 98% of their welding. sure there are some jobs where they use bigger machines but unless you making a tank or a battleship you aint going to need a big machine
    Last edited by WNY_TomB; 12-02-2018 at 12:20 PM.

Welcome!Even though I have a 3 in 1 and love it I agree with a single process stick machine, that way you are likely to have at least one welder that works should one break down.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Nothing wrong with multi process machines, I have three of them, and use all of them regularly, everyone's needs are different

I sugest a tweco fabricator, nice little machine

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    BD 3/8", 1/4" certainly does not qualify as light ga. for a beginner and a mig machine.
    Get yourself a used stick as suggested and get a mig later on for speed. AFTER you learn to weld(electrodes)
    His post stated ''3/8 of an inch down to 1/8 '' . I think 1/8'' and 1/4'' is great for mig. If you have a enough amps it will do 3/8'' as you know.

IF he plans on more 1/8'' to 1/4'' a mig maybe easiest to learn and be less frustrating.
    Looking at the machines Louie 1961 posted for his area are high. A basic Lincoln Tombstone by me is usually around around $100 and AC/DC $250.00.

.......and............then a buddy asks you to go weld something with HIS welder at HIS house and he has a box of 6013 and an AC 225. You immediately " aint no welder".
    Matter of fact when you get my age and you cant oxy-acet a muffler to an exhaust with a metal coat hanger.........you aint no welder.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan23 View Post
    Nothing wrong with multi process machines, I have three of them, and use all of them regularly, everyone's needs are different

I sugest a tweco fabricator, nice little machine
    141i or 252i? 181i & 211i are no longer available As Rebel replaced them.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 12-02-2018 at 03:34 PM.
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Thermal Dynamics 60i
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    141i or 252i? 181i & 211i are no longer available As Rebel replaced them.
    I have the 141, I wasn't aware that the 181 is no longer available

Test drive one of each first. Some welding suppliers have machines you could test. Maybe a member here is nearby and you can test theirs. I have done this with for perspective welders to be. It's a lot cheaper to try before you buy and spend money.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan23 View Post
    I have the 141, I wasn't aware that the 181 is no longer available
    Firepower Fabricator 180i is available oh and lookie here on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Thermal-Arc-W...QHRAD0E1HAGWDK
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Thermal Dynamics 60i
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnfish View Post
    My advice is to look at a good multi-process machine. I started with oxy-acytelene, moved to stick, then TIG, and MIG last.

Of my current equipment a Lincoln 210MP will meet just about all of your requirements. It will allow you to MIG and stick with the same machine (and also DC TIG if you want to go that direction too). It’s presets are great for assisting someone who is starting out, and you can run it off of either 120V or 240V circuits. It mig’s sheet metal like a dream, but is also rated for up to 3/8” steel. About the only common electrode that it is not rated for is 6010.

Spend the extra $ on a good hood and go to town. The Lincoln Viking 4C is a great hood.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

I was thinking Lincoln tomb stone , for a stick welder . When the say AC/DC does that mean you have to feed it DC ,or does it have some type of invertor ?? What do you think is the most I would get out of it 1/4 inch -- 3/16

Direct current = DC ( DC+ & DC- ) you can change the polarity of the electrode
    Alternating current = AC this alternates back and forth or pushes and pulls the current back and forth at a frequency of 50/60 Htz on a buzzbox.

Some machines have the ability to change the frequency.
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Thermal Dynamics 60i
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A

Just starting out, don't know if you'll stay with the welding, I suggest harbor freight unless you live where used welders are reasonable, around me people are crazy with prices except for a occasional realistic price

Sorry I forgot to fully address your ac/dc question. The machines run on AC from the wall or generator then produced either AC or DC+ or DC- depending on how you have the machine set up to run.
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Thermal Dynamics 60i
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A

So the machine /welder Can convert AC to DC current ,with a flick of a switch? What is the benefit of DC current, how does it change the process ?