Anyone recognize this weld (don't weld) symbol?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Anyone recognize this weld (don't weld) symbol?

I've welded plenty of these heat shields before, and just based on my experience, there is about a 1/8" gap between these clips (the 1" band) in the void between the clip and the tube where the clip overlaps the shield. I know the clips just basically get tack welded to the shield and not to get any weld on the tube. But I'm wondering if this symbol calls for some kind of insert like a 1/8" welding rod to shim the play in the shield. They normally don't sit perfectly tight on the tube and only hold tight when you put the clip on with a clamp and weld it in place. The guy I need to ask the specifics is on vacation, and it's not a huge issue either way, but I was just wondering if this is a standard symbol that any of you might know. Oh, and I'm talking about the arc between the 1/8 and the 1 in the symbol.Name:  _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  58.3 KB

Re: Anyone recognize this weld (don't weld) symbol?

And it just had to load upside down.....

the closest thing I can find it that it represents a convex profile. But I don't know what is supposed to be profiled. There is nothing annotated there, and I've never added anything to these heat shields before when welding. You just slap it on, place the one inch clip around the backside and clamp them to hold them in place, then weld the ends of the clips directly to the shield. But there is a dimension given on one of them to be 1" away from the clip, and the weld symbol indicates whatever it is to be an inch long also.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBFA View Post
    the closest thing I can find it that it represents a convex profile. But I don't know what is supposed to be profiled. There is nothing annotated there, and I've never added anything to these heat shields before when welding. You just slap it on, place the one inch clip around the backside and clamp them to hold them in place, then weld the ends of the clips directly to the shield. But there is a dimension given on one of them to be 1" away from the clip, and the weld symbol indicates whatever it is to be an inch long also.
    We use that to denote a tack weld, but I don’t know if that is standard notation or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like a convex weld symbol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It may also be for backing material.

Quote Originally Posted by ronstruc View Post
    It may also be for backing material.

Here's the chart showing the backing symbol

Quote Originally Posted by ronstruc View Post
    Looks like a convex weld symbol

I've seen those, but can't see how it relates. If anything, it looks like a clad weld right on the edge of the shield or something. But I don't see what the purpose of that would be unless it was to round off the edge there to prevent chaffing on the tube. This guy really needs to get off vacation so he can answer some of my questions haha.

See Sheet 2303

It's a Mandarin Chinese symbol that translates "By the time the Americans figure out the bid we'll already have 2 full containers on the waves."

Looking at the drawing I would say these are short convex beads on the pipe to make sure the shields can only be fitted facing the right way.
    Kemppi minarc 150
    Esab powercut 400

Quote Originally Posted by E T View Post
    Looking at the drawing I would say these are short convex beads on the pipe to make sure the shields can only be fitted facing the right way.
    Thats what I see. Welds on the pipe for the shields to butt up to.
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

Quote Originally Posted by E T View Post
    That makes good sense to me as well. Put a weld but not on shield.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200withspoolgun,MKCobra Mig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig3ea.