Filter for Plasma?? - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Filter for Plasma??

Say NO to PVC, it causes palpitations on the Algorenet.

Probably 18" of 2" Sc 40 black iron or preferentially galvanize with a cap on both ends will get er done id you can drill and tap the caps for 1/4npt.
    Stop at Dollar General on the way and grab some "copper" or "SS" chore boys and a big Skotchbrite pad. If you can find sponges that aren't magnetic buy some extras.

Load a choreboy into the end og the pipe after pressing a scotchbrite layer in for your inlet end. Fill the pipe leaving about 3" of empty space at the top and jam scotchbrite/choreboy/skotchbrite in. Thread second cap into place using teflon tape PROPERLY and mark that end OUT. Skotchbrite and choreboy will give you filtration against the litter dust.

Hang on wall in vertical attitude with OUT end at top in a manner you can kiss it a few with a 1" mallet before use to break up any concretion in the litter media.

Every so often, as needed, disassemble and bake litter in a 9 x 13 pan at 300° for an hour and leave in oven to cool
    DO NOT LET WIFE CATCH THIS ACT.

So NOT leave baked litter where cat can find it.

Complete instructions are available from Virgil Tech with measured drawing for $49.95.
    Video CD showing Vitgil assembling one with swearing and subtitles is available for $1497-.
    We don't do Utoob4boobs.

So, do you have the videos available in spanish or hungarian? I'm just checking because I don't want to feel disenfranchised if trying to buy some for my gardener and his husband...

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    So, do you have the videos available in spanish or hungarian? I'm just checking because I don't want to feel disenfranchised if trying to buy some for my gardener and his husband...
    I bought the video and while it doesn’t have spanish they did have pig latin, morse code, and brail subtitles available.
    My "collection":

Homemade Stick Welder
    Victor O/A Torch
    AC 225
    Ideal Arc 250

HF 90 Amp Flux Core
    HF Mig 170
    Solar 2020 Plasma Cutter
    Power i-Mig 140E
    Harris O/A torch
    HF Dual Mig 131
    140ST
    Alpha Tig 200x

Cool!!!! always nice to get something extra

You pay in US currency, you get American Standard Rnglish.

You pay in other currency you get IGNORED.

It's part of my new plan that includes single handedly destroying the off shore based tellannoying industry primarily broutht to you and I by Sutherland Group. I happen to know one of the VPs of Sutherland, and as soon as I get Brian Lemon's phone number I will publish it.
    In the time till I get that number I have instituted a program of answering all questions with the word Walmart. It appears the system can not process that answer, and further appears the Hindu squatters on the VOIP lines lack sufficient Engrish to respond to off screen anslewz. I've gotten as far as 9 Walmarts till they disconnect.

I must say, much like getting a torch, initial setup is cheap, its the long term that sucks.

Thats one of the reasons I opted for a plasma cutter over a torch, no bottles to refill. Just flip the switch and start cutting.

Initial cost of the plasma is way more than a torch, but over time you save by not having to fill bottles at $100 or more each time.

That was one of the many thoughts I had when it came to water too. Bead systems are cheap to set up initially but they need to be refilled or you have to piss around with drying out the media if you can. There are times in summer when it is muggy that my air hose looks like a garden hose. If I ran any sort of desiccant it would be saturated in seconds. I'd be pissing around with the desiccant more than actually working.

That is why I eventually just sucked it up and splurged the 4 bills for a HF dryer. Expensive (cheap for a chilled water separator mind you) initial purchase, but it works 100% all day long no matter how much water is going threw the lines and all I have to do is flip a switch on and off.

A guy really has to ask himself how much he will be using his plasma cutter, what climate do I live in, and will my wife get mad when she finds a cookie sheet of desiccant in the oven.
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

If you live in a dry climate....then there likely is no need for a filter in addition to the particulate filter / coalescing oil and water with auto drain that is on your Hypertherm from the factory. Desert climates, mountain climates....even low humidity seasons are fine with the Hypertherm units as they are. We get more calls with error codes related to inlet air starvation caused by too many filters or clogged / saturated filters than we do related to actual internal moisture issues! Jim Colt (40+ years at Hypertherm)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho View Post
    Many thanks for the ideas, guys. I live at 4,500', so it's fairly dry here. I'll spend what I have to, but would like to keep the cost down, of course. I like the dessicant idea because the material can be dried and re-used. Have also heard good things about the Motoguard.Of course the unit by Hypertherm would be the nuts...but spendy.
    Jim

i think all Jim Colt response's should be highlighted. the best resource on any forums for plasma questions. i used to over filter and starve the equipment.

now i rarely use a filter, and when i do its a motorguard 'toilet paper filter'
    General Contractor
    Commercial Industrial & Custom Residential
    Specializing in all things Metal

What happens with the plasma cutter if you have too much moisture in the supplied air?

Or put another way, how would you know if you have a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete.S. View Post
    What happens with the plasma cutter if you have too much moisture in the supplied air?

I personally notice minor cutting problems. Sometimes the torch not firing. Irregular cutting, many times not cutting all the way threw the material. Shortened consumable life, I feel sometimes by half by what I noticed after switching to the dryer. Sticky solenoid valve inside the plasma cutter. Finally icing if you live in colder climates, icing plugs the line right up to no flow what so ever.

Just my experiences.
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

Quote Originally Posted by Pete.S. View Post

You'll get accelerated wear on the torch consumables and if you put a lot of water through it the high voltage really won't like it!!!