Mounting Machine To Wood Floor - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Mounting Machine To Wood Floor

The clock is really ticking on this one. Got till tomorrow evening, Fri morning at the latest, to get this thing in the shop. We have rain, ice storm, and snow, forecast starting Fri nite.

Name:  stand19.JPG
Views: 227
Size:  127.5 KB It's double tarped, with straps over the top tarp to hold against the wind, but it just plain sucks to have it out there still on the trailer. Should be allright, it's got about 3" of Cosmoline on it but it's just plain stupid to push my luck.

Why would ANYTHING, other than a trailer. have a wood floor ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    Why would ANYTHING, other than a trailer. have a wood floor ?
    You missed the clues Bonzoo!

Sammmmm is setting the blue thing up inside a container with an aptiog floor.

Don't feel bad though. I have 411 Sammmmm has been studying covert and misguiding while he was away for a semester.

Welcome back Sammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmm!
    My "collection":

Homemade Stick Welder
    Victor O/A Torch
    AC 225
    Ideal Arc 250

HF 90 Amp Flux Core
    HF Mig 170
    Solar 2020 Plasma Cutter
    Power i-Mig 140E
    Harris O/A torch
    HF Dual Mig 131
    140ST
    Alpha Tig 200x

So...……………

Got the new hot water heater in the house, unboxed it, and admired it.

Then tried to install it

IT WON'T FIT THE OPENING Old one was 44" tall, new one is 49.75" tall. It just wouldn't slip under the gas pipe (later in the post)

Tuesday night, we roar off to Tulsa to get another water heater A leetle beety one 23" wide, 31.5" tall. They don't make a water heater that's 44" tall anymore. So we opted for the midget.

So now I got a water heater in the kitchen. (I ain't admiring it so much anymore) And the house looks like bomb went off in it. Dirty dishes, crap all over the floor, and dirty me with no shower in a few days (I'm about 3 days beyond my weekly hose down )

Name:  water woes2.JPG
Views: 176
Size:  117.5 KB

But, the new one fits

Name:  water woes6.JPG
Views: 179
Size:  130.7 KB

I have a feeling that the HVAC guy followed the plumbers when the house was built. Water tank was probably already installed, and the HVAC doooood decided that it was too much work to put the stinkin' gas pipe alongside the heater, and why not just plop it in front of the water heater

This ate up yesterday. Getting it up in there (still wouldn't clear the gas line without some finagling), running around trying to scare up some couplers, and nipples, getting it sealed (stinkin' pipe these days is crap, threads are rough, and like razor blades...took about 9 wraps of Teflon tape to finally quit weeping). I've worked with pipe for years, never had this kind of trouble sealing it. I'm thinking the threads are out of spec.

Wiring is incomplete, but to keep K'kins happy, I wired it in without full conduit. Not good, but'll have to do till I can get off to the supply people,, and get new conduit and wire to span the gap. OOOOOOMPH!!!!!!!!!

I plan to get rid of that stupid bench the stuff sits on, and on the half that the water heater sits on, reframe it so's the water heater can sit on the FLOOR WHERE IT BELONGS. Run the new stud wall up underneath the heater return chase so that I can do a quick cut 'n snip job next time we have to replace the water heater. Just have to cut out the panels, and drop them. GEEZ!!

One positive note

I love this PEX pipe. Never worked with it before, and always feared it.

Had to work with it this time around. Needed new ballcock valve, and transition.

Picked up the Shark Bite tool. They're cheaper than years ago.

Name:  water woes5.JPG
Views: 178
Size:  129.2 KB Got the one that covers all sizes of pipe.

Name:  water woes3.JPG
Views: 184
Size:  119.5 KB

Name:  water woes4.JPG
Views: 181
Size:  135.9 KB

Eezy Peezy Very cool system.

Welding, plumbing, and sometime in the not quite for sure future...….some machining. Does it get any better'n this??

Not sure I'm gonna get the lathe under cover this week. Storm prep today, and maybe some weld time.

I have never worked with PEX myself but I know 3 people that had leaks with PEX.
    The leaks were all in the tubing itself, not the fittings. There appeared to be no damage.
    It may have been a bad run of tubing because all 3 houses were practically next door to
    each other and built within days of each other.

Welcome back Sam!

Once you use pen you won’t wanna go back to anything else
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's
    If it dont fit get a bigger hammer

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    So...……………

Why would anyone want to heat hot water???

Sorry, I used to do a lot of plumbing, and the plumbers kinda wore off on me.
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

Quote Originally Posted by Stick-man View Post
    Why would anyone want to heat hot water???

Sorry, I used to do a lot of plumbing, and the plumbers kinda wore off on me.
    To make it hotter. Lol.

Be surprised how many refer to it as that instead of just water heater(….or cold water heater, lol.)

Maybe Sammmmmm's making one of them steam showers.

Lard, that there is a picture I have no desire to see.

I hear pex breaks down in sunlight.

I've been wanting to start switching everything over to pex but then all the houses I work on would have 4 different styles of plumbing to piss with.
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

the issue with pex is there are too many manufactures and some dont put out a quality product, where I believe there are only 2 copper tubing manufactures and there quality control is much better, but I have come across many times pin holes in copper pipe due to many different issues. pex is a great product if installed correctly, it expands way more than copper, so if it is rubbing on something over time it will wear a hole through the side, so using the proper plastic clamps are important, it does break down from uv rays , but it takes years, so if run outside just insulate with pipe insulation and its good to go..

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    So...……………

Then tried to install it

IT WON'T FIT THE OPENING Old one was 44" tall, new one is 49.75" tall. It just wouldn't slip under the gas pipe (later in the post)

Tuesday night, we roar off to Tulsa to get another water heater A leetle beety one 23" wide, 31.5" tall. They don't make a water heater that's 44" tall anymore. So we opted for the midget.

So now I got a water heater in the kitchen. (I ain't admiring it so much anymore) And the house looks like bomb went off in it. Dirty dishes, crap all over the floor, and dirty me with no shower in a few days (I'm about 3 days beyond my weekly hose down )

Name:  water woes2.JPG
Views: 176
Size:  117.5 KB

But, the new one fits

Name:  water woes6.JPG
Views: 179
Size:  130.7 KB

I have a feeling that the HVAC guy followed the plumbers when the house was built. Water tank was probably already installed, and the HVAC doooood decided that it was too much work to put the stinkin' gas pipe alongside the heater, and why not just plop it in front of the water heater

This ate up yesterday. Getting it up in there (still wouldn't clear the gas line without some finagling), running around trying to scare up some couplers, and nipples, getting it sealed (stinkin' pipe these days is crap, threads are rough, and like razor blades...took about 9 wraps of Teflon tape to finally quit weeping). I've worked with pipe for years, never had this kind of trouble sealing it. I'm thinking the threads are out of spec.

Wiring is incomplete, but to keep K'kins happy, I wired it in without full conduit. Not good, but'll have to do till I can get off to the supply people,, and get new conduit and wire to span the gap. OOOOOOMPH!!!!!!!!!

I plan to get rid of that stupid bench the stuff sits on, and on the half that the water heater sits on, reframe it so's the water heater can sit on the FLOOR WHERE IT BELONGS. Run the new stud wall up underneath the heater return chase so that I can do a quick cut 'n snip job next time we have to replace the water heater. Just have to cut out the panels, and drop them. GEEZ!!
    your gona run out of hot water much faster with such a small heater compared to the one you took out....can you cut down that shelf it is sitting on to get the new heater in? or relocate and just pipe it back into the water system..

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    your gona run out of hot water much faster with such a small heater compared to the one you took out....can you cut down that shelf it is sitting on to get the new heater in? or relocate and just pipe it back into the water system..
    "I plan to get rid of that stupid bench the stuff sits on, and on the half that the water heater sits on, reframe it so's the water heater can sit on the FLOOR WHERE IT BELONGS. Run the new stud wall up underneath the heater return chase so that I can do a quick cut 'n snip job next time we have to replace the water heater. Just have to cut out the panels, and drop them. GEEZ!!"

I should have explained better.

Name:  water woes6a.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  117.3 KB

I can get up under the heater, in the return air chase, and frame in a new stud wall underneath the bench as it is now. Leave the stud wall in there without doing anything now. Then when this water heater goes out, it'll be a quick matter of removing the remaining shelf, and doing the work to make it so's the water heater can sit on the floor. Only real change is to chop the safety drain down to floor lever (it's under that block of wood cause I kept dropping screws 'n stuff down the stupid thing )

House is on its 4th water heater. All have been "medium" size 40gal models. The midget heater is 38gal.

A huge mistake, because I didn't know any better, was keeping the thermostat turned down on all the previous water heaters. So, you kept the stupid hot all the way on when taking a shower, or doing dishes. Drained the water heater faster than keeping the water at 120-140, and mixing in some cold water at the faucet. We're leaving this one at about 128 (how it was set from the factory).

I came across an excellent article addressing hot water temperature.

https://www.phcppros.com/articles/18...s-and-the-code

It addresses bacterial growth at less than 120ish degrees. That was an eye opener

With gas right there and a exhaust stack I would have thought hard about a gas water heater.
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's
    If it dont fit get a bigger hammer

Might get something done today, temps have moderated.

Finish out the feet, and proceed with the actual mounts on top of the cabinets.

Name:  stand20.JPG
Views: 56
Size:  131.2 KB

The stands have now been leveled front-to-back by the way I did the feet. Now I need to level from side-to-side at the top of the cabinets. I kicked this around for quite a while before I even started the feet. It seemed the simplest way to do it.

Plates welded to sides of cabinet that will hold a mounting plate on top. The top plate, or stud plate, will have bolts welded into it like studs. The lathe will set down on the studs.

I plan to make the stud plates, bolt them to the lathe while it's suspended, and then tack a piece of square tubing to them. Once removed from the lathe, the whole thing will be a "copy" of the lathe that I can then use to level the side plates on the cabinets. Tack the side plates, and stud plates, to each cabinet....weld them out, then plop the lathe down on the stands. Should fit ok because the "copy" fit. It's a matter of the correct distance between cabinets, and the involved angles. The "copy' allows me to copy this without having to manhandle the lathe while figuring out just what the angles are. Can simply use a carpenters level with the "copy".

Total rise on the headstock end is about 1 1/2", so it should be very rigid if done with the scab plates. Takes a lot of force to bend plate over a short distance.

Sammmmmmmmmmm- while I admire all your leveling to hell & back, to say nothing of using all the heavy flat stock for added base mass, I have 2 questions.
    Will the miserable lathe sumbeach be high enough to run without bending your back all the time you're running it, and still low enough to add a davit to pick chucks and other heavy goodies up and onto the dam lathe?

What happens to all that leveling when frost or land sinking moves the conex?

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil5 View Post
    Sammmmmmmmmmm- while I admire all your leveling to hell & back, to say nothing of using all the heavy flat stock for added base mass, I have 2 questions.
    Will the miserable lathe sumbeach be high enough to run without bending your back all the time you're running it, and still low enough to add a davit to pick chucks and other heavy goodies up and onto the dam lathe?

What happens to all that leveling when frost or land sinking moves the conex?
    The specs on the identical Grizzly lathe shows the centers to be 40" above the floor when on the stands. I think I ought to be close to that. Add the 1.5" at the headstock, and it'll be a bit higher.

When the container moves, like it's been moving for 20yrs...…………...I guess I'll have to deal with that when the time comes. I have plenty of stud length for shims, and can also shim between the RR ties, and the container. I NEED TO WIN THE LOTTERY

The lathe has a pretty high chuck.

Name:  30010020.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  72.3 KB So I guess that's where the height comes from.

The actual manufacturer is https://lzmachine.en.made-in-china.c...-CZ1440G-.html and this is the actual machine I've got on the ground here. They vary.

I wasn't pleased about going with import iron, but didn't have a choice. Only "Made in North America" (North America covers a lot of territory) lathe is Standard Modern, and I ain't got the scratch for one of those babies
    Last edited by farmersammm; Yesterday at 06:50 PM.

Anyways...…..last cabinet foot setup complete.

Name:  stand21.JPG
Views: 35
Size:  121.3 KB

The floor plates are cut, and ready to weld onto the pedestals.

Name:  stand23.JPG
Size:  137.1 KB I got nothing against plasma. Matter of fact, I love it. I just won't tell anybody it'll do stuff it won't do well. It has its place. It's not the end-all-be-all.

Ready for welding, after the screw holes are drilled. Entire thing attaches to the floor with 1" deck screws. Really stable.

Name:  stand22.JPG
Size:  117.3 KB

Might get the stinkin' lathe offa the trailer tomorrow, dunno. It has to be off the skid to go to the next phase, and it has to be actually inside the shop. "C'mon Babe , you can hold it...…..it's only 1300#" Gonna be using up a lot of brownie points on this one