Mounting Machine To Wood Floor - Page 3
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Mounting Machine To Wood Floor

Quote Originally Posted by jmm03 View Post
    Hell for stout base plates. Did I miss it but how are you planning on leveling the lathe relative to the floor to correct for any taper or twist? Jim
    Lars suggested some adjustable nuts under the lathe bed mounts for tweaking. I was thinking of shims, but I like his idea better. Have to see how it pans out......set it up so I can either use shims, or nuts, if need be. Gonna depend on the clearance underneath the change gear box. Headstock will probably be mounted rigid, with tailstock end adjustable.

Long as I'm level enough where the oil can find its way to the spindle bearings, it just has to be tweaked to take the twist out of the ways. Bearings are lubed via a channel in the top of the headstock wall. Oil splashes up against the top of the box, and goes into channels cast into the box wall, then it moves thru holes in the channel down to the bearings. If those channels aren't level......no oil. PITA.

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    "I plan to get rid of that stupid bench the stuff sits on, and on the half that the water heater sits on, reframe it so's the water heater can sit on the FLOOR WHERE IT BELONGS. Run the new stud wall up underneath the heater return chase so that I can do a quick cut 'n snip job next time we have to replace the water heater. Just have to cut out the panels, and drop them. GEEZ!!"

I should have explained better.

Attachment 1695179

I can get up under the heater, in the return air chase, and frame in a new stud wall underneath the bench as it is now. Leave the stud wall in there without doing anything now. Then when this water heater goes out, it'll be a quick matter of removing the remaining shelf, and doing the work to make it so's the water heater can sit on the floor. Only real change is to chop the safety drain down to floor lever (it's under that block of wood cause I kept dropping screws 'n stuff down the stupid thing )

House is on its 4th water heater. All have been "medium" size 40gal models. The midget heater is 38gal.

A huge mistake, because I didn't know any better, was keeping the thermostat turned down on all the previous water heaters. So, you kept the stupid hot all the way on when taking a shower, or doing dishes. Drained the water heater faster than keeping the water at 120-140, and mixing in some cold water at the faucet. We're leaving this one at about 128 (how it was set from the factory).

I came across an excellent article addressing hot water temperature.

https://www.phcppros.com/articles/18...s-and-the-code

It addresses bacterial growth at less than 120ish degrees. That was an eye opener
    you could also crank the heater temp all the way up and use a mixing valve at the heater to lower temp to faucets, that would give you more hot water and kill any nastys in the water..

If you need another data point, my jet 13x40 is 43" to the spindle.

Really though, spindle height isn't as critical as handwheel height. Those are your points of contact with the machine. Carriage leadscrew at about elbow height seems about right for my comfort.

Not sure all this trouble you're going through to mount it is going to pay off. Without a concrete surface I think I would have just built a sturdy skid and mounted the lathe to that. That's essentially my plan for the 12x36 I'm working on now.
    My name's not Jim....

Sammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm is that the miracle of modern engineering Kkins sketched out for you on the placemat and said it would be a miracle if you didn't screw it up welding it together?

Quote Originally Posted by Stick-man View Post
    Why would anyone want to heat hot water???

Sorry, I used to do a lot of plumbing, and the plumbers kinda wore off on me.
    Where I live, we use the water heater as a storage tank so the water can cool down enough to shower in during the summer months.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    Where I live, we use the water heater as a storage tank so the water can cool down enough to shower in during the summer months.
    With all the Sun induced insanity and envirowackos, are people putting tanks in attics any more for hot water?

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil5 View Post
    With all the Sun induced insanity and envirowackos, are people putting tanks in attics any more for hot water?
    no on the roof and they are called solar panels...

Fun thing is solar water heating ain't new.
    Place here that is now a town historical museum was built in the 1800s by a rich man from the NY Central Railroad. Train waited for him Sunday night to commute to NY City, and brought him back Friday night.
    2 story house with a full attic that contains a lead lined wood water cistern that holds about 300 gallon. Had free hot water from about March thru October from that system. Also had acetylene lighting after 1900, I've seen the receipt for the acetylene generator that's buried in the back yard. They will only let me metal detect for the generator, no digging in the yard.
    House had hand sinks in every bedroom, hand painted porcelain sinks, all plumbed with genuine lead pipe.
    Best part is the house remained in the family till it became the museum and no remodeling was done.

Lot of free heat going to waste in attics that can easily be used to save energy burning. Cheap to accomplish as long as the gawdam government don't get involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil5 View Post
    Fun thing is solar water heating ain't new.
    Place here that is now a town historical museum was built in the 1800s by a rich man from the NY Central Railroad. Train waited for him Sunday night to commute to NY City, and brought him back Friday night.
    2 story house with a full attic that contains a lead lined wood water cistern that holds about 300 gallon. Had free hot water from about March thru October from that system. Also had acetylene lighting after 1900, I've seen the receipt for the acetylene generator that's buried in the back yard. They will only let me metal detect for the generator, no digging in the yard.
    House had hand sinks in every bedroom, hand painted porcelain sinks, all plumbed with genuine lead pipe.
    Best part is the house remained in the family till it became the museum and no remodeling was done.

Lot of free heat going to waste in attics that can easily be used to save energy burning. Cheap to accomplish as long as the gawdam government don't get involved.
    but they cant tax that..or at least not yet...