Compressor Question - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Compressor Question

Close Grasshopper, actual signs of thinking show up in your answers.
    1, you're 100% on the added cost of manufacture.

2, you neglected to factor in manufacturers now pierce the vessel to install the drain rather than drill. Piercing is preferred because it allows use of a thinner ergo cheaper boss, and once it leaves the factory the manufacturer no longer cares.
    The liquid pool dynamic inside the vessel results in a pond around the internal curb resulting from the cheap manufacturing technique. The puddle remains and can't drain when the valve is open.

The dip tube/soda straw actually removes more of the pond/puddle possibly approaching 90% because IF properly located its open end is at the bottom of the puddle. By cutting the end of the tube at around a 30° angle the tube can touch bottom and still have sufficient opening for discharge. As the puddle diminishes in volume and air begins to enter the tube the puddle itself will more or less vaporize and combine with the airstream leaving the vessel. (The well known soda straw gurgling thing every annoying kid does with their Supersize drink)

3, Yes the tank needs gas pressure inside to make the system work. You got something against showering?
    You don't want a shower it's simple enough to pipe beyond the valve and blow the condensate and Mayonnaise snot outside or even to a drain. You can even include a sight glass in the tube or some clear vinyl tube for visual confirmation you blew all the snot out. Worst case a bucket which is way handier than a tuna can on a rod.

Everdur is the original nomenclature for the product currently called Siliconebronz by clerk people in supply stores. The original formulation contained a bit more phosphorous and was applied by Catbon arc using a single carbon in the stinger DCRP.

Now I gotta contemplate if I should cut a couple inches off each rod for the details you left out.

I would NEVER consider shipping any substitute for genuine Everdur. I own at least 20 pounds of the real stuff.

My air compressor does not have a receiver, am I missing out?

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan23 View Post
    My air compressor does not have a receiver, am I missing out?
    Most assuredly. The receiver is key to keeping the drones sounding, and the chanter is nothing without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil5 View Post
    Everdur is the original nomenclature for the product currently called Siliconebronz by clerk people in supply stores. The original formulation contained a bit more phosphorous and was applied by Catbon arc using a single carbon in the stinger DCRP.

Now I gotta contemplate if I should cut a couple inches off each rod for the details you left out.

I would NEVER consider shipping any substitute for genuine Everdur. I own at least 20 pounds of the real stuff.
    I have no idea what that is or what I would do with it but you sure make it sound really desirable.

everdur is a trade name from a manufacturer for silicon bronze filler rod often used for
    1) tig brazing galvanized sheetmetal. easier to fill gaps not burning through and less damage to galvanize layer which doesnt hurt if the zinc gets in the brazing. tig is usually easier to weld/braze with a sharp tungsten to make a more narrow brazed joint with less warpage
    2) single carbon in a electrode holder with straight polarity or electrode negative used to be used the arc as a heat source for brazing with silicon bronze. tends to be more porous than with tig but often doesnt matter if just sheet metal duct work.
    obviously if you use reverse polarity or electrode positive all the heat will vaporize the carbon fairly quickly. you will find that out usually within a second or 2

I started (20years ago) with a 20gal 1.5HP oil-less craftsman compressor. Then a 2HP V-piston 20gal ingersoll-rand, oiled pump. Then a 5HP 80ga 2-stage Ingersoll-rand. It's taken this long to realize that what I really needed/wanted was a 10HP 80gal 2-stage/38 CFM (that will be here by January 2019. Oh well, such is the journey of life. I hope that's my last air compressor.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling signature!

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    Millermatic 211 MIG w/ Spoolmate 150
    Eastwood Versacut40

Oscar.... You should read this thread before you buy anything. Compressors are pretty darn inefficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Nipper View Post
    Oscar.... You should read this thread before you buy anything. Compressors are pretty darn inefficient.
    I know and I don't care. You should get to know my spending habits better. I spent $6,300 on a pair of bookshelf speakers in summer of '17. Just 'cause I can.
    Last edited by Oscar; 12-07-2018 at 09:00 PM.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling signature!

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    Millermatic 211 MIG w/ Spoolmate 150
    Eastwood Versacut40

My rule when buying a compressor is find the biggest one you can afford, then get the next larger size. You can never have enough air. Today it may be bike tires, but next year it's 3 da's sanding an old boat you bought. And ALWAYS stay far far away from air-less... I mean oil-less compressors. They are all JUNK!

Had to take a full 10 additional points for failing to mention locking the damn plastic adjusting nuts with fingernail polish.
    Not sure exactly what you are doing in your down time, but fingernail polish isnt something that is readily available in my shop!

Probably should have added those,

As far as compressors, I had one of the belt drive 120 vac jobs when I first started out as a hobbyist. It worked fine for most things, though I would have towait occasionaly for it to catch up when using a die grinder. Tank size isnt all that important, as it drains surprisingly fast. Pump size is key. Get a pump that will keep up with what you are doing. Personally, and I have three compressors, I wouldnt buy anything under 25 cfm, but I use it for a large variety of jobs.

Whoever said to not use air tools is an idiot. Air tools are light, inexpensize, powerful, and easy to maintain.

As far as the 3 hp compressor, so long as it functions properly then it will likely work fine for you for most things, but not for sandblasting, or air DA sanders. Most air tool use is peppered with down time, as you grind some and check fit, turn the piece, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    Not sure exactly what you are doing in your down time, but fingernail polish isnt something that is readily available in my shop!
    i don't know about readily available... but I did get a small bottle of clear from my grand daughter for a poor mans Conformal coating of a control board for sealing welder circuit boards after repair.
    That fine metal dust that gets blown around a shop after grinding a lot of metal inevitably will end up covering control boards.
    Last edited by 455dan; 12-08-2018 at 01:11 PM.
    1962 Idealarc Tig 300 300
    1974 Idealarc Tig 300 300 ( till owner needs it back)
    1988 Power Mig 150 (.112 f cap mod)
    2015 Lotos Ltpdc2000d plasma/arc/tig
    Victor 100 torch, 200- 210 Oxy/Acet gauges

You ought to swing by Dollar General and pick a couple bottles up.
    Handy as hell, and unless you use an acetone based solvent it ain't coming off. Even with acetone it ain't all coming off.
    Man who taught me to use nail polish pointed out try getting it off very early on.
    I have a bottle of the ugliest color in my tool bag. Take some ball bustin for it, generally followed by theft of my bottle. I can replace it cheap. Works great on small screws to keep them in place, especially screws in covers. Works really well when you need to prove somebody invisible and unknown took the cover off and screwed with an adjustment. Holds things where you want them held and breaks loose leaving evidence when you need to break it loose.

Only thing that's harder to get off is Clairol hair coloring. The Clairol help line will even tell you they know of nothing that removes that stuf.

i used to have 3 air compressors connected together
    5hp
    2hp
    1.5hp
    using a small air drill or a small grinder the 5hp turned on first, then 2hp and the 1.5hp and all 3 air compressors could not keep up with one air tool. air tanks just made pressure drop slower so compressor not going on for 10 seconds then turning off. with air tanks compressors are on for many minutes at least
    just saying thats a lot of electric and noise just to run one air tool continuously. basically 8.5hp on compressors could not run a 1/2hp air tool.
    thats what like 5% efficient or 95% of power is wasted

You ought to swing by Dollar General and pick a couple bottles up.
    Handy as hell, and unless you use an acetone based solvent it ain't coming off. Even with acetone it ain't all coming off.
    Man who taught me to use nail polish pointed out try getting it off very early on.
    I have a bottle of the ugliest color in my tool bag. Take some ball bustin for it, generally followed by theft of my bottle. I can replace it cheap. Works great on small screws to keep them in place, especially screws in covers. Works really well when you need to prove somebody invisible and unknown took the cover off and screwed with an adjustment. Holds things where you want them held and breaks loose leaving evidence when you need to break it loose.

Only thing that's harder to get off is Clairol hair coloring. The Clairol help line will even tell you they know of nothing that removes that stuf.

Funny stuff! From an earlier post you made a drone reference, are you a piper as well?

Funny stuff! From an earlier post you made a drone reference, are you a piper as well?
    Neigh, not even a pathetic drummer, but I do have appreciation of the pipes. I am quite good with a 5 chime air horn, got a solid A in that class.

As far as compressors, I had one of the belt drive 120 vac jobs when I first started out as a hobbyist. It worked fine for most things, though I would have towait occasionaly for it to catch up when using a die grinder. Tank size isnt all that important, as it drains surprisingly fast. Pump size is key. Get a pump that will keep up with what you are doing. Personally, and I have three compressors, I wouldnt buy anything under 25 cfm, but I use it for a large variety of jobs.

Whoever said to not use air tools is an idiot. Air tools are light, inexpensize, powerful, and easy to maintain.

As far as the 3 hp compressor, so long as it functions properly then it will likely work fine for you for most things, but not for sandblasting, or air DA sanders. Most air tool use is peppered with down time, as you grind some and check fit, turn the piece, etc.
    i disagree, especially about the idiot part

tanks are still very much important. there is often limits on compressor size, typically power supply. eg my standard power outlet limits me to 2.75 HP and even then the plasma cutter will cut off when it starts up.
    the good thing with a big tank is having it filled before you need it. that gives you the ability to run much larger tools. tho for a short time.

Quote Originally Posted by WNY_TomB View Post
    i used to have 3 air compressors connected together
    5hp
    2hp
    1.5hp
    using a small air drill or a small grinder the 5hp turned on first, then 2hp and the 1.5hp and all 3 air compressors could not keep up with one air tool. air tanks just made pressure drop slower so compressor not going on for 10 seconds then turning off. with air tanks compressors are on for many minutes at least
    just saying thats a lot of electric and noise just to run one air tool continuously. basically 8.5hp on compressors could not run a 1/2hp air tool.
    thats what like 5% efficient or 95% of power is wasted
    5% is about right. 4% would not be uncommon. 10% on a very very well tuned system.

thats precisely why you use electric tools wherever possible.

Sure glad I didn't listen to you guys before I bought my first compressor in 1985. I've got the 3HP Campbell Hausfeld ( 110 or 220 running on 220) with the 30 gallon portable tank and it's handled most of my chores quite well, but yes, I work alone and there is down time waiting for the compressor to "catch up" if you are using a lot of air. I've used it to fill tires, run my Blue Point 7" air grinder, Blue Point 1/2" impact, 3 die grinders, a 3/8 air drill, a small 20lb. sand blaster, hand held sand blaster, and I've done the body work and painted about 6 vehicles and a couple farm implements with it. I am on my 3rd 2cylinder single stage pump, and I must say the latest Chinese POS isn't as efficient as the 2 previous ones, but it's still an effective tool. I wish I had gone with the 3cylinder version instead of the last pump.

I used an electric impact before we got the compressor and jobs in the dirt (like changing cultivator shovels) were absolute hell on expensive armatures. The only way you'll get me to retire my air tools will be to pry them out of my cold dead hands. Would I like a bigger compressor? Hell yea, I just bought an 80 gallon 2 stage Ingersol Rand that I haven't even got wired yet, but the single stage will still be in my unheated shop. My memory is fuzzy, but I believe it was rated around 9cfm at 90 psi., but I keep it at 110. If you aren't running a shop full of equipment and you aren't pushed for time, a large portable will be an effective tool.
    Last edited by whtbaron; 12-08-2018 at 08:03 PM.
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post

I used an electric impact before we got the compressor and jobs in the dirt (like changing cultivator shovels) were absolute hell on expensive armatures. .........
    thats a good situation where air works well. same with really hot environment where electric over heats.
    i only use air grinder for bits my electric grinders can't get into. handy to have a small grinder for those spots. but to use air grinder to do everything would be slow, noisy and costly.

grinders for sure... I have 3 electric 4.5's, and a half horse 9", but I use my air die grinders a lot.
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Quote Originally Posted by tweake View Post
    rule of thumb with compressed air is do not use it unless you have to.
    I bought a 380 3ph 10hp compressor that puts out something like 500l/m (17cfm?) with a huge tank. I only use it for the impact wrench, tires, blowing chips AND... PAINTING. Which is mostly the reason I bought it for (traditional as well as HVLP guns).

My die grinder is a variable speed Bosch unit, great tool. I tried a sander for bodywork and I didn't like it (electric blue Bosch again).

Mikel