Flap Dscs
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flap Dscs

Flap Dscs

On flap grinding discs for a mini grinder. The company just started to bring them in before they closed, so I don't have much experience at work with them. I found they leave a very nice finish, duh, sanded not ground. However using them around home, I'm retired now,, they seem to load up and don't bite. I would hope they would last a little better since I now have to buy them . Is there a way of getting down to underlying layers? Am I doing something wrong? THX
    Man of foolish pursuits
    Millermatic 250x MIG
    Magnum (Hugong) Wave 200KD AC DC TIG
    Liquid Air O/A
    metal lathe, mill/drill, surface grinder, metal shaper
    sawdust makers

Re: Flap Dscs

So it sounds like your disc is glazing over, as they are not supposed to load up. There are many kinds of discs to choose from. I pony up and buy from McMasterCarr. For household soft media I like their P.N. 4481A482

For hard metals thier P.N. 4750A42 does the trick.

I know they are expensive but they last a long time for me.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200withspoolgun,MKCobra Mig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig3ea.

I buy the packs from eBay, fine to coarse grits. There Chinese and cheaper to throw away if you do stuff one, but I find I get a long run out of them.
    For decreatve welds I grind most, then have another grinder set up with a flap disc rather than work down grits.

When you mention, getting down to underlying layers, do you mean paint layers? You said they seem to load up which sounds like they are loading up with old paint. If you are trying to get through paint on metal surfaces then a wire wheel or cup brush works/lasts much longer. Once down to bare metal, then switch to the flap disc to smooth out any marks left.

They're overpriced junk. Keep a few for filet welds and stuff like that. Other than that use turbo backers and those fibre disks. Ceramic wins, Zirc is a close second.These things run circles around a dozen flappers
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    They're overpriced junk. Keep a few for filet welds and stuff like that. Other than that use turbo backers and those fibre disks. Ceramic wins, Zirc is a close second.These things run circles around a dozen flappers
    I use something similar for finishing work. Nothing beats a flap wheel for getting down to 90% on alum with alumicut fluid. Same goes for stainless work. Why waste finishing disks roughing down welds?
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200withspoolgun,MKCobra Mig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig3ea.

Thanks. OK, I see where their uses are. No, I didn't use them on paint, just scale and a little rust.
    Man of foolish pursuits
    Millermatic 250x MIG
    Liquid Air O/A
    sawdust makers

Many brands such as Walter have a plastic body that can be removed. As the edge of the disc wears or loads up you spin the disc and press the back edge of the plastic against a sharp corner of a workbench. The soft backing supporting the flaps at the rim is removed and allows the flap discs to flex more and wear away exposing new sections of the flaps. Some flap discs use a thermosetting type of plastic and they do not cut away like say the Walters.
    It alarmed me when it was demonstrated to me but it was a Walter rep giving the workshop. :'))

The grit needs pressure to either crack the grit, or wear away the paper to expose new grit. Rust and carbon on hot rolled is hard on flap disks. If I am grinding something that loads them up I will put a piece of bar stock in the vise and grind heavily on it every now and again to expose new grit.

^^^
    This type is the best choice for cost vs. performance. Flap discs are great for blending welds but I agree they don't last at all.

I agree with Bonzoo's recommendation, the Zirconia Resin Fiber Sanding & Grinding Discs work great on stainless and mild steel, very cost effective , last long and leave a decent finish, I tried flap discs and find them too expensive , don't see a big advantage in using them. I'm sure many swear by them but they're just not for me.
    Ken from ontario,Canada.

Good advice, fibre discs are the way to go and much cheaper. If you want a good flap disc step up to the 3m Cubritron II line, they are expensive but cut great and last 5 times as long as cheaper brands.
    ESAB Rebels 215/235, Hypertherm 85, 45xp, Miller 350p, Synchrowave 350 LX, Thermal Arc 185, Everlast 255EXT, TD 60i

I love fibre discs, but they wear out fast, and/or load up, when I have a lot of grinding I'll use a hard wheel to get it close, then a flap wheel or fiber disc to finish,

Flap wheels are nice for aluminum I've found. And They're better than fiber discs at blending,

A thank you for all the tips. Such a simple thing . I'll try using fiber discs.
    Man of foolish pursuits
    Millermatic 250x MIG
    Liquid Air O/A
    sawdust makers

fiber discs great, flap discs are great. they each have their use and learning curve.

in my shop, you start with the backed discs and graduate to flap wheels. we do allot of seam blending on tube. the backed fiber disc and a halfway between sander and grinder. new guys grab a flap wheel and eat the metal on each side of the weld... trying to grind and blend with one wheel. never works. the flaps deflect and the general mouth breather cant comprehend why.

a grind wheel grinds, flap wheel sands, and fiber disc does both. but like everythign that does both, its a compromise.

if the wheel loads up, the job is better siuted for a grind wheel, or you have the wrong grit. 99% of the flap wheels i use are are 40 grit zirc. lean into them and the eat. no loading up on clean material. with oils and such flaps are bound to load up. when they load up the options are; use a lower grit. use cutting fluid, or unload them. i always have a used up grind wheel or hardened metal clamped near by. run the flap over the grind wheel or metal like sharpening a blade, then get back to it. for blending fillets i dont buy the special wheels, just like unloading the flap wheel, turn to eat the fibre nacker down to give the leading edge more flexibility. recently i have found benchmark abraisives the have the best price per performance.
    General Contractor
    Commercial Industrial & Custom Residential
    Specializing in all things Metal

They don't make dust, they leave metal shards behind. The'll move more metal than anything out there.

I get the 'Maxx' discs from enco. Good price and work really well. I buy them in 10 packs.
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

The norton blaze discs really hold up well removing or finishing.

Will these fit without guard removal?

price looks right... which arbor are you guys using ? I don't see one offered by Dewalt..
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

I use these and they WILL work without removing the guard but I see no point of using guards for anything other than cutoff wheels.
    Use METAL in checkout for 10% off
    https://www.roarksupply.com/Turbo-Ba...ackingpads.htm

I use these and they WILL work without removing the guard but I see no point of using guards for anything other than cutoff wheels.
    Use METAL in checkout for 10% off
    https://www.roarksupply.com/Turbo-Ba...ackingpads.htm
    Thanks.

yeah.. actually the only grinder I don't have a guard on is the one I use for flap discs...

was just curious.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Thanks.

yeah.. actually the only grinder I don't have a guard on is the one I use for flap discs...

was just curious.
    Ordered a 7" arbor also.... forgot I had a box of these...

Name:  IMG_0764.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  266.4 KB
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

oh those are killa!

Hey Bonzoo what are these flappers the kids are so enthralled with?
    They some kind of minidisc for them little toenail grinders they're all so in love with?

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil5 View Post
    Hey Bonzoo what are these flappers the kids are so enthralled with?
    They some kind of minidisc for them little toenail grinders they're all so in love with?
    Pretty mush. Just for 7"-9" Makitas and Bosch at 15 amps... Takes a hell of a set of fingernails to battle with !