Just added an HTP Inverarc 200 TLP stick welder to the arsenal
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Just added an HTP Inverarc 200 TLP stick welder to the arsenal

Nothing fancy, just recycling some old 5"x5"x 4.8mm square tube to make into a rack to hold my steel/aluminum.

Welds are nothing to look at; edges were rough-cut with plasma using no guide, I was purposely long-arc'ing it, stubbing into the weld puddle to purposely stick the rod (as I tried different Arc Force settings), trying different hot-start settings. Just getting an over-all feel for it. The verdict: This. Little. LUNCHBOX. kicks. a$$. Even without setting it to cellulosic mode, it lit up Lincoln Pipeliner 6P+'s (E6010s) without even the slightest hesitation (with correct amperage, and appropriate H.S & A.F.). I think if I do set it to cellulosic mode, 6010s will probably just obliterate into dust! But really, it has a real nice arc, very forgiving, and easy-start's all the rods I tried, from Lincoln Excalibur 7018MR H4R, to Pipeliner 5P+/6P+, to cheapie "Best Welds" and Blue Demon rods. It gobbled them up and spit them out.
    Last edited by Oscar; 12-04-2018 at 11:12 PM.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling signature!

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    Millermatic 211 MIG w/ Spoolmate 150
    Eastwood Versacut40

Re: Just added an HTP Inverarc 200 TLP stick welder to the arsenal

How does it compare to the stick side of the Invertig 221?
    Millermatic 211 w/Spoolmate 150
    Hypertherm PMX45XP

Wishlist:
    HTP Invertig 221

Cute little nipper isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by DerekV View Post
    How does it compare to the stick side of the Invertig 221?
    I think it might be a bit smoother than the 221, but then again I haven't used the stick mode on the 221 in a while. It sure seems like it's smoother, easier starting, and the arc is very nice. But of course that could just be me wanting it to be better. I've never had any other quality stick welders, so I can't really compare to other machines, but even so, I really like how it runs. My 221 has the advantage of being dual-voltage, so I can actually use it in stick mode if I limit the amperage to about 80-90A. ~110A or more, and it will pop a 20A breaker in 3 seconds. No biggie, that works just fine for 6011 up to 3.2mm, and 6013/7018 up to 2.4mm. But I digress. The Inverarc 200 TLP will definitely be my go-to stick welder unless I wanna fool around with the fully adjustable pulse stick welding of the PP300.
    Last edited by Oscar; 12-06-2018 at 10:51 PM.

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    Eastwood Versacut40

Looks like a nice machine, how long is the power cord and is it as stuff as it looks

Your 221 and the inverarc 200 both do pulse stick as well. The 221 will also stick weld in a/c with adjustable frequency. The 221 will also let you stick weld with your foot pedal .
    Eventual master of the obvious, practitioner of "stream of consciousness fabrication". P.S. I edit almost every post because because I'm posting from my phone and my fingers sometimes move faster than my brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Sedanman View Post
    Your 221 and the inverarc 200 both do pulse stick as well. The 221 will also stick weld in a/c with adjustable frequency. The 221 will also let you stick weld with your foot pedal .
    Sedanman,

Yup, I accidentally discovered that about 2-3 years ago, when I noticed it wouldn't hold an arc, well just a tiny tiny tiny arc. Then I noticed the footpedal was plugged in! I definitely won't be doing foot-pedal-stick-welding. At that point I might as well TIG it, lol. Yup the 221 does have the AC mode, adjustable freq (try stick welding at 999Hz! it's crazy! ), pre-set pulse parameters for stick welding, and IIRC I think it will also let you use the Independent Amplitude control when stick welding in AC mode! (but I don't remember if it needs to be in conjunction with the foot pedal or not). But yea, that's a little too much to focus on when you just need to weld some dirty/rusty steel for basic fab & repair. I'm gonna play around with it a little this weekend if I can (swamped with work at my day job), but definitely during my Holiday break later this month (2 weeks off )

Pat h,

the cord is a monster compared to the machine. You need as much space for the cord in the travel tote as you do for the machine! It's a 12/3, maybe even a 10/3 (I'd have to look closely), and looks to be about 10ft long. Looks the same size as the cord on my ProPulse 300! It's not made of a pliable material for the cord jacket, it's like a hard vinyl, but that doesn't bother me at all at the moment. It's a light machine but not so light that it make it feel "cheap". The ground clamp is unique in how it holds on to the wire bundle (I'll snap a pic of it later). It's smaller than other ground clamps, but it has a nice heft to it, and feels very solid.

The stinger is a basic one, with about 12 ft of cable, the ground clamp a little bit shorter, about 8 feet or so. I will probably be using it with my 50ft water-cooled stinger more than anything, since I don't want it too close to the work and accidentally smack it while moving a piece of tubing and damage it. As far as tough? I'm sure it will hold up to lots of use, but I won't be doing a drop test with it though!

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    Eastwood Versacut40

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    I think it might be a bit smoother than the 221, but then again I haven't used the stick mode on the 221 in a while. It sure seems like it's smoother, easier starting, and the arc is very nice. But of course that could just be me wanting it to be better. I've never had any other quality stick welders, so I can't really compare to other machines, but even so, I really like how it runs. My 221 has the advantage of being dual-voltage, so I can actually use it in stick mode if I limit the amperage to about 80-90A. ~110A or more, and it will pop a 20A breaker in 3 seconds. No biggie, that works just fine for 6011 up to 3.2mm, and 6013/7018 up to 2.4mm. But I digress. The Inverarc 200 TLP will definitely be my go-to stick welder unless I wanna fool around with the fully adjustable pulse stick welding of the PP300.
    Nice, thanks for the details. The HTP machines seem awesome.
    Millermatic 211 w/Spoolmate 150
    Hypertherm PMX45XP

Wishlist:
    HTP Invertig 221

Hey Oscar... You ever do any stainless welding with that 300?

Nope, if I ever have to do stainless, I'll just fire up the TIG.

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    Eastwood Versacut40

Nope, if I ever have to do stainless, I'll just fire up the TIG.
    Thanks... I'm on the fence on buying the 300. It's not something I need, but more of a want. I've got so much stainless work in front of me, I'd be 90yrs old if I ran tig. Mig is my only option.

Quote Originally Posted by jagboy69 View Post
    Thanks... I'm on the fence on buying the 300. It's not something I need, but more of a want. I've got so much stainless work in front of me, I'd be 90yrs old if I ran tig. Mig is my only option.
    I'm no expert, but from what I've read, the SS pulse program should be beneficial in controlling heat input while at the same time maximizing travel speed for a given set of conditions. The ProPulse 200 also has the SS Pulse programs.

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    Eastwood Versacut40

I am not familier with stick pulse but that is the only feature the HTP 200TPl has that the new Everlast Powerarc210 SPL does not have at barely over 1/3rd the price of the HTP. I am not sure that feature is worth the extra cost. The duty cycle of the Everest is 2.5 times as high as the HTP also at 200 amps being 35%. I would like to try some stick welding with pulse to see how benaficial it is. I am sure the HTP is a good machine, I am also sure the Everlast 210SPL is also. I have purchased 3 Everest machines and am satisfied with all of them for the most part. The Everlast will also run on 120v if needed.

I would love to see a shootout of the 2 machines.

Quote Originally Posted by thegary View Post
    I am not familier with stick pulse but that is the only feature the HTP 200TPl has that the new Everlast Powerarc210 SPL does not have at barely over 1/3rd the price of the HTP. I am not sure that feature is worth the extra cost. The duty cycle of the Everest is 2.5 times as high as the HTP also at 200 amps being 35%. I would like to try some stick welding with pulse to see how benaficial it is. I am sure the HTP is a good machine, I am also sure the Everlast 210SPL is also. I have purchased 3 Everest machines and am satisfied with all of them for the most part. The Everlast will also run on 120v if needed.

I would love to see a shootout of the 2 machines.
    Um.........I already have the machine, I'm not on the fence. Good for you that you like Everlast. I like HTP. BTW, the duty cycle of the HTP Inverarc 200 TLP is 45% @ 200A. Your Everlast is 35% at the same amperage. At 160A, the Inverarc 200 has 100% duty cycle, the Everlast 60%. Yes, it's more expensive, but it's that much more of a machine. Not in the same overall league.

HTP Inverarc 200 TLP:

Everlast:

Nothing compares? Perhaps for what it costs.
    Last edited by Oscar; 12-08-2018 at 10:53 PM.

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    Eastwood Versacut40

Um....... I never said you were on the fence. I just made a statement about the 2 machines because they are both in the same market segment. I am happy you like your new machine. I am not sure where you found that your machine has a 45%duty cycle at 200 amps. I just went to USAweld and the info there says it has a 10% duty cycle at 200 amps. I hope you are correct , all I did is go by the info on their site.

I would still be interested in a shootout of the 2 machines, I could not care less about the brands, I want to know wich one is better and why.

So don't get so offensive over nothing
    https://www.usaweld.com/HTP-Inverarc...rarc200tlp.htm

https://www.everlastgenerators.com/p...owerarc-210stl
    Last edited by thegary; 12-08-2018 at 11:54 PM.

Oh ok, sounded like you were trying to convince me the Everlast was a better value or something, lol. Interesting what's on the HTP webpage I do have to say. One has to be a typo then, I'd be willing to bet it's the webpage and not the manual. I got that picture from the manual.

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    Eastwood Versacut40

Sick pulse ? Like 3 /32 7014 and zzzzt zzzzt zzzt on sheet metal. Works pretty good on an inverted 110-220 volt at 80-90 amps or so(on 220).

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    Sick pulse ? Like 3 /32 7014 and zzzzt zzzzt zzzt on sheet metal. Works pretty good on an inverted 110-220 volt at 80-90 amps or so(on 220).
    Yes, my three HTP machines can do stick pulse.

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    Eastwood Versacut40

Yes, my three HTP machines can do stick pulse.
    I can see some benefit to stick pulse for poor fits and open gaps but other than that I do not know, maybe it is benaficial for thin metal but I would have to play with it to get a feel for what it would be good for.

Quote Originally Posted by thegary View Post
    I can see some benefit to stick pulse for poor fits and open gaps but other than that I do not know, maybe it is benaficial for thin metal but I would have to play with it to get a feel for what it would be good for.
    IMO, it is definitely beneficial for thin metal. A more familiar analogy would be "pulsing with the pedal" with TIG, except the filler rod is the electrode of course. It controls/minimizes heat input, and with the proper pulse parameters, one can potentially use a rod one-size larger than they would typically need for a joint, while still obtaining good penetration due to the high-side of the pulse being of the appropriate amperage for metal transfer and heat-input via the arc itself. There are limitations with the Invertig 221 and the TLP 200 due to the fixed pulse duty cycle and base current @ 50% for a given pulse frequency, BUT the ProPulse 300 has complete control of pulse, meaning one can designate the pulse duty cycle, pulse frequency, and base current. Necessary feature? Of course not. Neat? Yup.
    Last edited by Oscar; 12-09-2018 at 11:34 PM.

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    Eastwood Versacut40