Problems MIG welding Stainless
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Problems MIG welding Stainless

I have been having issue mig welding stainless. It welds fine for a while then will stop feeding the wire. The feed wheels run because you can hear the scream when it stops feeding. Restart the weld and it takes off again and repeats. I get 5 to 7 inches of weld each time at best. I have a new tip, new liner adjusted the tension on the feed wheels from no feed to bird nesting I have very little tension if any on the spool. I am using an older Millermatic 185 welding 10ga stainless. Any help would be great

Thanks

Re: Problems MIG welding Stainless

Maybe you need some new wheels? That's all I got...

Is it possible that as the feeder is feeding the wire that the spool of wire somehow begins to tighten up? Maybe the mechanism that adjusts tension for the spool of wire begins to tighten as the spool turns.

Sent using Android ForumReader app

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTIG View Post
    Maybe you need some new wheels? That's all I got...
    I thought about that but it doesn't happen with mild steel wire.

Quote Originally Posted by villageblacksmith View Post
    Is it possible that as the feeder is feeding the wire that the spool of wire somehow begins to tighten up? Maybe the mechanism that adjusts tension for the spool of wire begins to tighten as the spool turns.

Sent using Android ForumReader app
    I have tried small spools and shimmed them so it cant make contact with the tensioning mechanism

Stainless can be very soft wire. It may be experiencing more stiction in the liner than regular steel which will slide. So more tension on the drive rolls may be in order. But then you may be deforming the wire with your "V" rolls. I would change to "U" groove rolls and increase the tension to suit.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200withspoolgun,MKCobra Mig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig3ea.

As mentioned drive rolls . Is the wire matching the drive rolls ?? Low quality wire maybe be not be the same diameter as better quality.

Less tension. Stainless is " sticky". Hard to explain but you'll see

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    Less tension. Stainless is " sticky". Hard to explain but you'll see
    Do you mean less tension on the drive rolls because they are deforming the wire?
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200withspoolgun,MKCobra Mig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig3ea.

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    Stainless can be very soft wire. It may be experiencing more stiction in the liner than regular steel which will slide. So more tension on the drive rolls may be in order. But then you may be deforming the wire with your "V" rolls. I would change to "U" groove rolls and increase the tension to suit.
    I can try u groove rollers and see what happens. as far as tension on the drive rollers I have started at none and tensioned all the was to it causing bird nesting but that is with V groove not U. worth a shot

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    Do you mean less tension on the drive rolls because they are deforming the wire?
    Not exactly. "Galling" is what the ' x-spurts" refer to it as.It gets "gummy" if pressured and dragged across dissimilar metal. Even stainless on stainless can be a pain unless it's hard as a ministerz PP....Firearms are a prime example of this example. Molyb-ds is is the best lube in these cases.Let up on the tension and use a good dry lube...firearm stuff

When was the liner last changed out? It only takes 1 bad kink to kill a liner. I replaced a liner in my 200 amp gun and it was linked bad where the machine connection is. About 4" in, where there is hard plastic and I assume impossible to kinked was the worst kink I ever seen.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

You are suppose to use a plastic liner with stainless. A polyamid or carbon-teflon liner for example.

And the right size liner as the wire can buckle inside the liner otherwise.

Are you adjusting anything before restarting the weld? I've had similar problems in the past with a roll of wire that wasn't spooled correctly. You can test my theory out by unspooling a length of the wire, then manually re-spooling (using caution to make sure not to cause a bind) and welding. See if that fixes it. Over the years I've had multiple spools that were spooled poorly and resulted in welds that would start/stop because the wire was in a bind on the spool.

If that doesn't fix it I'm stumped, but please report back with your solution so we can all learn!

- Doug
    Lincoln Idealarc Tig 300/300, Lincoln ranger 8, Lincoln LN-25, Miller Sidekick (keeps rockin!), Oxy/Acy torch, Miller XMT-304 with a Miller 60 series wire feeder and high freq. box, Profax positioner 8" chuck, Aaronson 3500# positioner 15" chuck

Try this, pull gun from drive housing, Clean the power pin and the socket in the drive housing.
    A little oxide on the aluminum drive housing will send to much weld current up the weld wire.
    The wire gets hot and will deform and bird nest easy. A good clean power pin connection will make sure most of the weld current will travel up the miggun and transfer to wire at the tip.
    A metal rod with a slot cut in the end. slid in a piece of sand paper and use like a hone, then flush with electrical cleaner.

Perhaps we are getting too deep into the weeds, here, blaming the problem on rollers, wire, liners, etc. When I first got my first mig machine I had a problem of "stuttering" wire, i.e., it wouldn't drive, consistently. The problem was resolved when I removed the paper labels from the spools, which were catching, intermittently, on the tensioning device, as they rotated. Pealing the labels off, and cleaning the glue from the spools solved the problem. I, also, added a large nylon washer between the spring and spool to help provide an even application of friction.
    Last edited by Weldordie; 12-11-2018 at 03:34 AM.