Looking for Welder for my Dad - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Looking for Welder for my Dad

Since it is for your dad, and he presumably doesn't want to work on a fixer upper, I would buy the generator and the welder separately. Something like this would probably run off a 7500 watt generator https://store.cyberweld.com/esmi161l...pdItemDataTabs

There are plenty of members here who own one of these and can help guide you on generator selection. I would guess that all in you would invest around $1500 US
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Quote Originally Posted by SuperArc View Post
    Lincoln AC/DC Buzzbox
    Miller Thunderbolt 210
    Hobart 210i
    What size and how long of an extension cord to run that out in the middle of a corn field, or whatever the crop is? That stuff will only work where there is enough electricity to be had. Now what?

Hi. For my farm maintenance I get a lot of use out of my Ranger 8 They only down side I find is the 500lbl weight of the machine I built a light frame with wheels to tow behind a pick up or quad;; I would like one of the smaller Lighter engine drives Miller 185 bLUESTAR or THE Lincoln oUTBACK But they cost almost as much as the Ranger or Bobcat and very rarely see any used onesl A Welder Generator I would like to buy is the Honda GX 200 2+4 They are a 200 amp machine with a duty cycle 175 amps at 60% and weight about 200 lbs the downside Only 400kw with the generator But they cost a lot less than the miller or lincolnl And Honda Powered" " Look them up".

Quote Originally Posted by Josey View Post
    Hi. the downside Only 400kw with the generator But they cost a lot less than the miller or lincolnl And Honda Powered" " Look them up".
    Is 400,000 watts not enough power to suit your needs? That is enough to power up a good sized neighborhood with some left over to spare.

This is kind of a nag..... but I've done a lot of farm welding and if he's not accustomed to doing it himself, I would also get him a good-sized fire extinguisher. A LOT of farm fires are caused by people welding out in their fields, where there's lots of dry fuel and often wind. You can be all wrapped up inside your welding helmet, focusing on the weld, and be oblivious to the 10-foot-high flames coming up behind you from a stray spark. Been there, done that.
    -Ruark
    Lincoln 3200HD
    Hobart Stickmate LX235
    TWECO Fabricator 211i

That's a good point. It's also good practice to thoroughly wet down the area you're welding when possible. In southern California it's a must. It's always scary to see that funny orange glow inside your helmet get brighter and brighter for 45 seconds until you pull your hood up to see what the heck it is and be confronted by a wall of flame. I've found a 5 gallon bucket of water with a smaller can/bucket in addition to multiple extinguishers to disperse the water works really well for knocking down fires. Save the extinguisher cost and cleanup unless you really need it, plus it looks extremely unprofessional to have to go all fireman on a job site, then have to clean up all the powder lol.
    Last edited by SlowBlues; 12-11-2018 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Josey View Post
    Hi. For my farm maintenance I get a lot of use out of my Ranger 8 They only down side I find is the 500lbl weight of the machine I built a light frame with wheels to tow behind a pick up or quad;; I would like one of the smaller Lighter engine drives Miller 185 bLUESTAR or THE Lincoln oUTBACK But they cost almost as much as the Ranger or Bobcat and very rarely see any used onesl A Welder Generator I would like to buy is the Honda GX 200 2+4 They are a 200 amp machine with a duty cycle 175 amps at 60% and weight about 200 lbs the downside Only 400kw with the generator But they cost a lot less than the miller or lincolnl And Honda Powered" " Look them up".
    That gx200 was a nice welder when I used it

I like my Longevity dual voltage 140 stick machine with lift arc. The welds in the pictured were the first welds I made with the machine after getting it. welds in the pictures were made with the machine set on 120 volts plugged into a 20 amp outlet, The machine never popped the breaker one time set on 120volts. the low high was 3/32 rod 6010 5p+ was 1/8.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by tackit; 12-11-2018 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    I like my Longevity dual voltage 140 stick machine with lift arc. The welds in the pictured were the first welds I made with the machine after getting it. welds in the pictures were made with the machine set on 120 volts plugged into a 20 amp outlet, The machine never popped the breaker one time set on 120volts. the low high was 3/32 rod 6010 5p+ was 1/8.
    Nice job,

Quote Originally Posted by Bistineau View Post
    What size and how long of an extension cord to run that out in the middle of a corn field, or whatever the crop is? That stuff will only work where there is enough electricity to be had. Now what?
    Since according to the OP pops is welding on farm tractor type farm equipment, he could save money by driving the tractors back to the barn and weld them there. Do you think he really “breaks down” out in the field on a regular basis in which he can’t drive? Seriously? Like is that a regular occurrence? If so, I’d suggest pops get new tractors.

So again, the welders I suggested would suit him just fine. In fact I’m sure a Lincoln buzz box would suit dad very well for what he needs.
    Lincoln Power Mig 216
    Lincoln AC/DC-225/125

Miller 625 X-Treme Plasma
    Miller 211

Forney 95FI-A 301
    HF 91110
    Victor Journeyman O/P
    Milwaukee
    Dayton
    Makita
    Baileigh

NRA Life Member