My log splitter, and a question
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

My log splitter, and a question

Here's a pic of the log splitter I finished recently. Instead of buying a cord of wood every year or so for out living room fireplace I decided to beg logs from the crews that take down trees in the neighborhood. Gives me a chance to use my chainsaw and justified this fun log splitter project:

Name:  splitter.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  155.8 KB

The beam is 6x6x1/4. Just happened to be the first usable remnant I came across. The 20 ton bottle jack is from Harbor Freight. I'm pretty new to welding and metal projects so I just googled a lot and winged it. These two videos gave me the confidence to go ahead:

My splitter has worked quite well on what I've asked of it so far--up to 20" lengths of pine and maple as wide as 12", and shorter lengths of 10-12" oak. But the beam flexed some and rang like a bell on the oak, and I decided it could probably use some reinforcement.

I'm aware of two ways to strengthen it. One is to box it in, the other is to build up the plates (flanges?). I think I read that adding to the flanges is the preferred method, at least where the beam is supported at both ends and the load is on the flanges (i.e. a horizontal beam in a building, where the flanges are on top and bottom). I can't quite figure out whether the log splitter is the same case, though. I think so...maybe.

So I'm asking what you all might think is the right way to stiffen up my log splitter beam for when a 20" oak log comes its way.

Re: My log splitter, and a question

I see a tree growing on the wood your cutting LOL...
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, L-tec, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

You mean the green spot on the log in the first video? That's a video of someone else's splitter that I studied before I made mine. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

I thought that was you in the video and the guy in the video said not to say any thing like we could see a tree growing because it was taking him so long to cut the wood. So I said I see a tree growing on the weed he was cutting. Just messing around is all.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, L-tec, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

So what operates the hydraulic jack? Do you hand pump it, or run some kind of motor? I've always needed and wanted to build a splitter, but never had all the data I needed.
    -Ruark
    Lincoln 3200HD
    Hobart Stickmate LX235
    TWECO Fabricator 211i

That beam is very thin for a log splitter. The flanges is what carries all the stress. So that is what you need to reinforce.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ruark View Post
    So what operates the hydraulic jack? Do you hand pump it, or run some kind of motor? I've always needed and wanted to build a splitter, but never had all the data I needed.
    Air over hydraulic.
    Problem is the bottle jack has a really short stroke. Unless you are splitting really straight grain very dry wood I can't see it efficiently splitting wood.

1/4” or so plate welded to box in the beam will make it solid
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's
    If it dont fit get a bigger hammer

Right, compressed air does the "jacking" instead of your arm, and right, only a 6.5" stroke. It's enough for me since I don't need a lot of firewood, and I don't mind the exercise with the maul to finish off a stringy piece, plus it was a lot of fun to make. The pine in particular was very stringy, but the maple and oak needed very little extra work.

So, one vote for boxing and one for laminating the flanges. More or less the same amount of metal (6" wide by however long, either to close the open sides or add to the front and back flanges).

And yeah, that video wasn't mine, it was my "inspiration".

I vote for boxing the sides. It will help prevent bending and twisting.

I just found one on a junk haul!
    Box it! This one was 4" thick wall tube.
    This one has a sliding wedge for different length wood.
    Of course I tried it and it does work!

I wouldn't mind seeing a pic or two of that sliding wedge setup. I keep a few thick cookies handy to adjust for different length wood, works well enough.

Boxing the beam will give the rigidity you are looking for, and hopefully, will give you an excuse for a bit more practice, which is, apparently, needed. (Not a put-down... we all started someplace.)

Up the amps, and get moving.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Weldordie; 12-11-2018 at 04:06 AM.

Any chance of finding another remnant the same as you started with? You could bolt them back to back and double the strength. Oh wait... this is a welding site...
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Yes, a lot more practice. Up the amps--I thought maybe that was it. Thanks.