How clean does the tungsten have to be?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    86

    How clean does the tungsten have to be?

    When I dip the tungsten (which happens a lot still ) and I go to grind it it looks like this.

    Name:  tungsten_clean1.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  99.7 KB

    I always wondered if it makes any difference if I it's not all clean?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SoCal-LA
    Posts
    8,794

    Re: How clean does the tungsten have to be?

    Yes it does make a difference. What is that deposit below the grind?
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200withspoolgun,MKCobra Mig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig3ea.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    86

    Re: How clean does the tungsten have to be?

    Not sure this particular one but probably silicon bronze. Sometimes it's not that bad but still some oxidation from taking the torch away too fast and loosing gas coverage.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Ct
    Posts
    2,004

    Re: How clean does the tungsten have to be?

    "not that bad" tungsten contamination makes a huge difference I've found its more pronounced when welding aluminum,, seems like you can get away with more when welding mild or stainless steels

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    2,898

    Re: How clean does the tungsten have to be?

    Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan23 View Post
    "not that bad" tungsten contamination makes a huge difference I've found its more pronounced when welding aluminum,, seems like you can get away with more when welding mild or stainless steels
    +1 Don't be so cheap. Grind that one back another 1/4"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    PDX PNW
    Posts
    6,768

    Re: How clean does the tungsten have to be?

    That’s a half a$$ grind job

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    86

    Re: How clean does the tungsten have to be?

    Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    That’s a half a$$ grind job


    Only because of the length or something else wrong with it?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    3,236

    Re: How clean does the tungsten have to be?

    I grind my tungstens by chucking them up in a cordless drill and I grind them on my belt sander. if I have a mess like that I will wrap some sandpaper around the tungsten and giver it a spin with the drill before I grind it off. Cleans up the shank pretty nicely.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    PDX PNW
    Posts
    6,768

    Re: How clean does the tungsten have to be?

    Quote Originally Posted by PatriceL View Post


    Only because of the length or something else wrong with it?
    Looks like there’s still filler rod or base metal on it. Grind it all off so it’s all silver

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Stevens Point, WI
    Posts
    4,506

    Re: How clean does the tungsten have to be?

    I typically just grind deposits off the sides. Scratch lines don't seem to bother the arc much.
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    86

    Re: How clean does the tungsten have to be?

    Thanks guys, I also do the hand drill trick so some sandpaper to clean the sides sounds good.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    80

    Re: How clean does the tungsten have to be?

    I like the bandaid....

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Stevens Point, WI
    Posts
    4,506

    Re: How clean does the tungsten have to be?

    A hello kitty bandaid would have been great.
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,830

    Re: How clean does the tungsten have to be?

    Quote Originally Posted by VPT View Post
    I typically just grind deposits off the sides. Scratch lines don't seem to bother the arc much.
    +1

    ...and grinding off another 1/4" would take 15 minutes or so.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Michigan... temporarily
    Posts
    10

    Re: How clean does the tungsten have to be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    +1

    ...and grinding off another 1/4" would take 15 minutes or so.
    15 minutes? You using emery cloth?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,202

    Re: How clean does the tungsten have to be?


    PatriceL


    Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    Yes it does make a difference. What is that deposit below the grind?
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriceL View Post
    Not sure this particular one but probably silicon bronze . . .
    It's probably not Sil-Bronze - while welding - you can dip the electrode into the puddle, it
    coat the electrode Gold. S/B doesn't 'wick the puddle' like SS or Black Iron.

    I'm a hack TIG welder - but have welded '100's of feet' of bronze, and '1000's of feet' of
    Black Iron.

    Black Iron [even with good prep] rapidly deteriorates the electrode - so I don't invest a lot
    of time in precision sharpening.

    [As mentioned] Use a battery drill - and a 90° die-grinder with a 3" wheel [of various grits].
    It is quick - and you can rotate the disc to dress the 'wicked area' on the side shaft.

    I know: the really good/great TIG welders are grinding-their-molars over this low-budget
    advice - but, unless you are welding professionally/doing spec. work - the 'quick & dirty'
    method should serve you for years . . .

    Hope this helps . . .


    Opus

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    476

    Re: How clean does the tungsten have to be?

    this is just me personally, I'm not someone that is very fussy when it comes to joint fit up or tungsten grind or whatever but that looks fine to me, I've welded some pretty import stuff that's been x rayed and passed with far worse of a tungsten, if I remember correctly this SS pipe root run was put in with a ball on the end after i touched the filler and I was to lazy to change the tungsten, the only time a massive knob on the end of the tungsten bother's me is when the welding inspector is measuring my heat input as a big ball spreads the arc out a fair bit so I have to travel slower or bump up the amps so it makes it pretty easy to pump in 1.5-2 KJ/mm when most WPS call for under 1kj/mm.

    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1417803938669.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  18.1 KB

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SoCal-LA
    Posts
    8,794

    Re: How clean does the tungsten have to be?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttoks View Post
    this is just me personally, I'm not someone that is very fussy when it comes to joint fit up or tungsten grind or whatever but that looks fine to me, I've welded some pretty import stuff that's been x rayed and passed with far worse of a tungsten, if I remember correctly this SS pipe root run was put in with a ball on the end after i touched the filler and I was to lazy to change the tungsten, the only time a massive knob on the end of the tungsten bother's me is when the welding inspector is measuring my heat input as a big ball spreads the arc out a fair bit so I have to travel slower or bump up the amps so it makes it pretty easy to pump in 1.5-2 KJ/mm when most WPS call for under 1kj/mm.

    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1417803938669.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  18.1 KB
    Not everyone has wings on their fingers like you.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200withspoolgun,MKCobra Mig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig3ea.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    476

    Re: How clean does the tungsten have to be?

    Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    Not everyone has wings on their fingers like you.
    you say that but honestly I'm a fairly average welder, there are plenty of guys that are faster than me, that produce nicer looking welds than me and that have fewer failures than me (i've had 5 in ten years, I know guys that are 40 years in with no failures in the last 30), just like the spartans profession in the movie 300 is war, mine is welding, and I'm average in all area's in that profession.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SoCal-LA
    Posts
    8,794

    Re: How clean does the tungsten have to be?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttoks View Post
    you say that but honestly I'm a fairly average welder, there are plenty of guys that are faster than me, that produce nicer looking welds than me and that have fewer failures than me (i've had 5 in ten years, I know guys that are 40 years in with no failures in the last 30), just like the spartans profession in the movie 300 is war, mine is welding, and I'm average in all area's in that profession.
    You say that but you can make do with what you got. Me, I need mine needle sharp and have a polishing wheel in close proximity. I sharpen 10 points at a time most days. Today I welded ammunition belt guides made from 4130 steel and one little dip kills the point for an ugly weld. So I am spoiled enough to swap it out.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200withspoolgun,MKCobra Mig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig3ea.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Stevens Point, WI
    Posts
    4,506

    Re: How clean does the tungsten have to be?

    I've mentioned it before, I've taken pliers and snapped the end off the tung while in the torch yet and kept weldin. Some days you just want to get done.
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    217

    Re: How clean does the tungsten have to be?

    Theres a huge difference in mild steel and "the rest" when welding. Mild steel is already full of so much crap in and on it that you're not adding anything. Mild steel is the meatloaf of metal. Ally, titanium, etc are clean metals and you can't introduce anything.
    Last edited by One1; 12-11-2018 at 07:36 AM.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    86

    Re: How clean does the tungsten have to be?

    Thanks again for the info. I will not take a chance and clean the whole tungsten especially since I rarely weld mild steel.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    PDX PNW
    Posts
    6,768

    Re: How clean does the tungsten have to be?

    Quote Originally Posted by One1 View Post
    Theres a huge difference in mild steel and "the rest" when welding. Mild steel is already full of so much crap in and on it that you're not adding anything. Mild steel is the meatloaf of metal. Ally, titanium, etc are clean metals and you can't introduce anything.
    Try welding brass

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
RSS | Home | Penton Media | Contact Us | Subscribe | For Advertisers | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement