Miller spoolgun adapter question
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Miller spoolgun adapter question

I have a Millermatic 172 Mig and browsing something totally different on craigslist came across this. Would this kit work on my welder? Thanks!!

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/tls...743388721.html

Re: Miller spoolgun adapter question

Quote Originally Posted by breavis View Post
    I have a Millermatic 172 Mig and browsing something totally different on craigslist came across this. Would this kit work on my welder? Thanks!!

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/tls...743388721.html
    Yep, that looks like everything you need to hook up to your MIG and start welding aluminum. The only other thing you will need to get is some aluminum to weld on. That is the same set up I bought for my Miller-Matic 140 to weld the thin aluminum of Jon-boats and such. But you will be able to weld thicker material than me since your machine has a little more power. That looks like a pretty good deal for what all is included. Price it all out for yourself if you don't think so.

There is one other thing you will need to get before you start welding aluminum with this set up, and that is some stainless steel wire brushes. Use them to clean the areas you are going to weld, and use them ONLY to clean aluminum. If you use them on anything else you will contaminate the brushes and they will contaminate the Al you are about to weld which will fuch up your welds. I suggest keeping them in zip lock freezer storage bags between Al. welding projects so they don't get used for anything else.

That is a great deal especially considering he is giving away the argon tank! I watched Bob and Jody on youtube spoolgun welding and they both suggested stainless steel brushed like you mentioned.

Are you going to get this set up?

Going to see if I can take my welder to the guy and see if it will work and go from there