How many amps can you push through .035/.045 wire?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

How many amps can you push through .035/.045 wire?

So I've been working in a local fab shop building some fairly sturdy structural beams, 310 Universal column with 25mm (1 inch) flanges with 15mm (5/th inch) web, that are then boxed in with 1 inch plate in a single vee butt joint with a backing bar, to essentially make a 1 foot by 1 foot by 1 inch wall square tube with the 5/8th inch web down the center, these pics will show it better.

310UC with back bar tacked onto the flanges

and the finished beam with the 1 inch plate welded in making the 1x1 foot box section.

this was welded with .045 solid wire on a WIA weldmatic 500i industrial MIG welding machine that feed's up to 1100 inches per minute of wire and delivers up to 500 amps and 50 volts, although these are tested there is no WPS, this is open slather as long as it passes UT and MT.

each column is 10 meters (about 33 feet) long with another meter section at the top that's also boxed out, so you're looking at about 150 feet of 1 inch butt weld per beam, plus the base plates that are all single sided full ped but welds and the gussets at the bottom, call it 170 off feet of full pen welding, per beam, and there are 24 of these to make.

how hot would you go on this?
    Last edited by ttoks; 12-07-2018 at 02:19 AM.

Re: How many amps can you push through .035/.045 wire?

Millermatic 211 w/Spoolmate 150
    Hypertherm PMX45XP

Wishlist:
    HTP Invertig 221

goes from short arc to spray arc welding when high enough

With that kind of welds why not bigger solid wire or dual shield. Track welder would be nice also
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's
    If it dont fit get a bigger hammer

Quote Originally Posted by farmshop View Post
    With that kind of welds why not bigger solid wire or dual shield. Track welder would be nice also
    Really this is the perfect job for a sub arc, but this is a pretty young company that only started 3 year's ago and they don't have a sub arc setup.

I agree with you large solid wire wouldn't be a bad idea, but things are setup for .045, that would mean new roller, liners ect for 5 different brands of welding machine (new company remember, they bought whatever secondhand heavy duty machines they could get they're hands on) as for duel shield I'm normally a big fan, but in the flat position solid wire in spray is faster and cheaper, so I can understand the choice stick with solid wire, if there was any out of position welding then duel shield would be the go.

and for those wondering, it turns out running 1000 IPM of wire and 42 volts nets about 470 amp's, I put the root run in on 35 volts and 300 amps with about 700 IPM, then filled and capped at 42 volts and 1100 ipm.

was distortion a problem when welding was completed?
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Quote Originally Posted by docwelder View Post
    was distortion a problem when welding was completed?
    this one came in at about 3/32 of distortion over the 33 foot span, we didn't even bother trying to straighten it, however I backstepped and flipped it over after every run to spread the welding out, one of the other guys didn't, and his ended up with a 7/8 inch twist in it.

The info I have says you should be at about 550 ipm giving you around 350-400 Amps - if you're welding 3/8" or thicker in the flat position. 10-20% CO2 and rest argon. Up to 5/16" fillets, no weaving. 350F interpass temp.
    If you carry too much metal you risk lack of side wall fusion.

I don't have much experience with spray so I can't say what is ok or not.