ESAB Torch Adapter?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

ESAB Torch Adapter?

Hi, Wondering if it is possible to adapt an SL60 TD torch To fit an ESAB 1000i?
    At present the ESAB is fitted with PT 27 torch How would they be rated for consumables and cutting ability
    compared to the SL60? Thanks for any information,

Re: ESAB Torch Adapter?

Sure you can and Esab may even have the adapter kit in stock. I think it would be a good upgrade for that unit.
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Sales and Repairs--Ebay store
    Tec.Mo. Dealer Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's

"Thanks George" Would you have the Adapter?

Brand X did this with a Pak Master 38 XL ATC adapter kit to an SL40 torch and he likes it a lot.

https://www.greggdistributors.ca/pdfs/CatG129.pdf

Judging from the link ^ it looks like you might need the following kits for your machine.

Part No. 7-5207 https://weldingsupply.com/cgi-bin/ei...::1::OR:7-5207

Kit: 7-3429 PCM-750i, 875, 1000i, 1125 [https://weldingsupply.com/cgi-bin/ei...DEF:AND:7-3429[/B]

I am not an expert at this and have never done this so do as previously mentioned and contact Thermal Dynamics/ESAB
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 12-08-2018 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Repair Web Links
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Thermal Dynamics 60i
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A

Adapter kit to hook to a 1000i is Thermal Dynamics p/n 7-3429. If your SL60 has an ATC end then you'll need p/n 7-5207 adapter also. If it's got the O2B end then you can forget the 7-5207. Assuming ESAB is still making them. If not then check out ebay or craigs list.

My friend did his Esab 1125 to a O2b style torch.. It's good upgrade for the 70 amp machines.. Sometimes there are arc start issues going to a start cartridge setup. Thermal use to make a bushing to hold the start bushing in the fire condition. Have zero idea if it is available or not? Might not need it though.. The 1125 would eat electrodes like crazy above 50 amps.. I think it had the PT-27 torch too? I had one, but keep it stock..

I have since found a more factory torch for my 38XL.not quite but a better upgrade in many ways.(PCH-42ER) Never came on this machine, but I did ditch the ATC adapter, and used the O2B connection I made from a Thermal to Esab adapter.. I am disliking the start cartridge setup on some machines that came with a CD start etc. Just works better for me.

You will probably find aluminum cutting speed slowed down with the SL-60 torch. The Esab's torch always excelled there. I think I would look for high quality consumables for your standard torch machine, and just ditch the whole idea.If you don't need a torch that is.. ATT/Profax/Thermacut/ etc on consumables..
    Last edited by Brand X; 12-08-2018 at 02:20 PM.
    Esab 2200i-TA34
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal Arc LM-200 Lincoln feeders
    Thermal Arc Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal 38XL-PCH-42ER
    Thermal 60i (Beast)

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong!

Scott I though you likes the SL-40 torch on the Pak master 38XL. I guess a change in your sig would be warranted then.

Name:  Pak master 30XL-SL-40.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  54.9 KB
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Thermal Dynamics 60i
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A

I did like it, but found a torch that uses the same consumables as the PCH-38 torch did. Just has nicer cable, better trigger then any Thermal torch out, and Surloc electrodes.
    Uses the same amount of air as the Lower amp SL-40 torch electrodes , and functions better then the Start cartridge setups.. Down side is the Electrode are more money, but they last well in this low amp machine.. My 38XL is my favorite 120/240 volt machine I have ever owned or used.. Great torch wrap, and just built like a tank..Not flat out as powerful as some of the newer machines, but is on 120 volts.. There is a range of cut off with the smaller amp machines, where you should start looking on using a bigger unit anyway. I will gain zero from any machine running from my size Generator, and gain in just how forgiving this unit is on genny power.. I had one 17/18 years ago, and had a SL-60 on it.. Found out this PCH-42ER is the torch it should of had all along.. (came out after the SL-60) $200.00 new, and then i can just use the SL-40 on the 60i when needed.

https://store.cyberweld.com/thdypcreplto.html
    Esab 2200i-TA34
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal Arc LM-200 Lincoln feeders
    Thermal Arc Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal 38XL-PCH-42ER
    Thermal 60i (Beast)

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong!

Name:  thumb.gif
Views: 23
Size:  139 Bytes
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Thermal Dynamics 60i
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A